Anyone tried durian?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like it, my Mom likes it, Bourdain likes it but it will make your car smell if you leave in the trunk. I think it tastes like custard with a bit of mango (but not sour). The texture is slimy & somewhat stringy. I brought one to a BBQ & most of the people that tried it were fine with it after getting past the smell. There was one gagging incident though.

:LOL::ROFLMAO:

I agree with GB's comment. The smell isn't that bad compared to some cheeses I've smelled and tasted. I happen to like durian. As a friend once told me, "it smells like ****, but tastes like heaven." I wouldn't go as far to say that but my Mom loves it too. I think only Asians eat durian as I've never seen a non-Asian enjoy tasting it.

Breezy, i happen to like stinky tofu. :)

I had lunch at a Thai restaurant with a Tamil friend some time ago and he suggested I try Durian, if I was game. Whether because he braced me for the smell, or the durian we had was just not that good, I found the smell quite tame. Mango stinks in comparison in my mind. And while not many Australians supposedly like it, it sells in our local grocery stores, perhaps cos so many folk go to Bali and have got used to it.

Curiously, none of you have really described how it actually tastes!
I've seen it in some local Asian markets. And I've also seen products flavored on it in these same markets. And yes, I'm curious.
But how does it taste? :ermm:

I've had it and quite enjoyed it. They used to sell them at an asian market in Poughkeepsie Ny where I went to culinary school

They are supposely growing various breeds that don't smell bad so shipping will be easier. I haven't had one of the "unscented" varieties. I imagine some of the mistique and peculiarites that make Durian so special would be lost if it didn't have its tell-tale scent.

I made icecream with it, and the smell dicipates greatly (as you know smells do when frozen) it came out wonderfully. great taste without the smell.

The thing is dangerous though, those spikes hurt!

I've seen it in some local Asian markets. And I've also seen products flavored on it in these same markets. And yes, I'm curious.

"I think it tastes like custard with a bit of mango (but not sour)."

why?

why would u force your self to eat a smelly, not good tasting fruit? there are too many fruits to keep u busy.

i happen to think a mango stinks, so i never buy them, tastes some rotten fruit.

babe :)

Who said it is not good tasting babetoo? Smelly yes, but those who enjoy the taste really enjoy the taste.

After seeing Anthony B's show where he eats durian, I've been dying to get a whiff of one just to see how bad it would have to smell to be to have it banned in public places. But honestly, I doubt I'd actually eat something that stinks.

I've neither heard of this fruit, smelled, or tasted it. But I do know a thing about flavors. From what I've read here, this is a strong smelling, and strong flavored fruit. Typically, with food items that are extreme, i.e. liverwurst, beer, whiskey, raw onion, ripened cheeses, people either tend to love them, or detest them.

There are a host of people who love mints, especially peppermint. Peppermint is a very strong mint and makes me gag. I just plain don't like the other mints. But then again, I love liver, and liverwurst which makes my wife gag. I would assume this is what's going on with durian.

So, I would try it. If it didn't suit my taste, well, I wouldn't have to try it a second time. If I loved it, then my life would be richer.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I've neither heard of this fruit, smelled, or tasted it. But I do know a thing about flavors. From what I've read here, this is a strong smelling, and strong flavored fruit. Typically, with food items that are extreme, i.e. liverwurst, beer, whiskey, raw onion, ripened cheeses, people either tend to love them, or detest them.

There are a host of people who love mints, especially peppermint. Peppermint is a very strong mint and makes me gag. I just plain don't like the other mints. But then again, I love liver, and liverwurst which makes my wife gag. I would assume this is what's going on with durian.

So, I would try it. If it didn't suit my taste, well, I wouldn't have to try it a second time. If I loved it, then my life would be richer.

You're probably right, Goodweed. You'd hate it at my house this week - I'm trying to get raccoons to vacate my attic so have sprayed a lot of pure peppermint oil up there. Apparently it makes raccoons gag, too, because they made a lot of noise trying to get the heck out of there!

You're probably right, Goodweed. You'd hate it at my house this week - I'm trying to get raccoons to vacate my attic so have sprayed a lot of pure peppermint oil up there. Apparently it makes raccoons gag, too, because they made a lot of noise trying to get the heck out of there!

So that's why I have those dark bands around my eyes. And here I thought it was becasue I was a super-hero.:rolleyes::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Goodweed! I just read the list of yummies you're having tomorrow night - you may well be a super-hero! I don't think I've ever made that many dishes for one event in my life!

As I recall Bourdain liked it very much, compared it to some French cheeses. Sat on the deck of the place he was staying and chowing down on the stuff.

Zimmern spit it out.

Bourdain also enjoyed Haggis, as well as some other "strong-flavored" dishes with mixed reviews. I think this alone has convinced me to try it. When the rest of the family is out.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Goodweed! I just read the list of yummies you're having tomorrow night - you may well be a super-hero! I don't think I've ever made that many dishes for one event in my life!

We did it and it was a very very good night, with good freinds, lots of laughter, and a great start to a new year.:)

You know, I can't really remember how it tasted. It was served with wild sticky rice from memory, had the texture of mango and was rather innocuous (I think!) - certainly no flavour that stands out in my mind. I remember the rice more than the fruit.

IThe fruit I really wanna try even more than durian is mangosteen--the "queen of fruits" to durian's "king." Last I heard, it was illegal to import into the continental U.S. But I think I read that this might change soon...
I bought a mangosteen once but due to a few things happening at the time, it went bad before I got around to trying it. I almost bought another one last week but stopped cos I have so many pieces of stone fruit in my fridge ('tis the season!!) that I thought it would be wasted again. Think mangosteen juice is marketed as some miracle drink which is possibly where the ban comes in. Possibly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom