Avocado Lovers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought I had lost mine when hurricane Wilma knocked it down. The roots were pretty exposed. I started cutting away branches, as it had fallen onto the patio and it sprang almost back to its original position as the weight got removed. A few stout branches grew on the opposite side and we were back in business.

Thank goodness you saved it! You've got a treasure there :)
I'll have to move again to have one!

Damn ! You're missing out!

The bacon wrapped avocado seems simple to make too. I see it's just stuffed with cheese, wrapped in bacon and grilled! Maybe that can be avo no 3 ;)

Last edited:
I eat an avo each day =0) I love 'em!
I like them savory, as well as sweet (they sub out well in various cake/brownie recipes)

I do the deviled egg thing too, Katie =0) I mash the yoke with avo, fresh dill, plain greek yogurt and pink salt.
I wanted to post a photo, but it won't take my url from either twitter or pinterest :(

I eat an avo each day =0) I love 'em!
I like them savory, as well as sweet (they sub out well in various cake/brownie recipes)

I do the deviled egg thing too, Katie =0) I mash the yoke with avo, fresh dill, plain greek yogurt and pink salt.
I wanted to post a photo, but it won't take my url from either twitter or pinterest :(
Dang! Wish I could eat them every day :yum:
Too expensive out of season so I just have them when they're seasonal.

Dang! Wish I could eat them every day :yum:
Too expensive out of season so I just have them when they're seasonal.
oh that is a bummer!
Ours are seasonal, but it's just different varieties at different times.
My favorite are Reed, which are in the fall. They are HUGE! and really buttery.

BTW, did you know you can freeze the fruit as a mash?

Snip, I wish you could come here next fall. Every year we go to an Avocado Festival near here and avocado's are celebrated like you wouldn't believe! I've sampled everything from avocado ice cream to pie. Here's a recipe from the festival that I use often and it's delicious.

AVOCADO SALAD DRESSING

1 large avocado peeled, mashed
1/2 c. sour cream
1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp.garlic powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper

2-3 drops hot sauce
Mix together and refrigerate several hours to blend flavors.

Avacado, let me count the ways.

1. Guacomole
2. Sliced as a side dish
3. Sliced and put into pita-pocket sandwiches with thin beef slices, tomato, and bean sprouts, with home made mayo
4. Diced into salads
5. with cheese
6. in burritoes, tacos, etc.
7. Served with chili as a mouth refresher/cleanser
8. straight up with a bit of lime
9. in Soup

There may be other great ways to use this wonderful fruit that I haven't tried yet. In fact, I'm sure that there are great ways to use them that would be new to me.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Stirling doesn't like avocados, so I forget to buy them.

When I was a kid, my mum used to serve them with salad dressing (any kind) in the hole from the stone. I still do that. When I don't have any salad dressing handy, I use mayo and a splash of Worcestershire.

Thanks for initiating this thread, Snip. What a wonderful treasure-house of ideas for eating avos. I love them cubed into a salad of mixed greens with onion and tomatoes, but I see there are lots of ways that I've never tried. I do make guacamole and like it a lot, too.

Do you leave the seed in any portion that's left over to keep it from going brown?

Avocados are good for you! I eat 4 or 5 a week for sure. I top my daily salad with one almost every day. Delicious!

And for those who don't know, if your making guacamole, keep that pit! Just chuck it on top and it keeps it from going brown for quite some time. Or if you only want half an avocado, leave the pit in the half you don't eat, wrap it up and it'll keep in the fridge for a day or 2.

And for those who don't know, if your making guacamole, keep that pit! Just chuck it on top and it keeps it from going brown for quite some time. Or if you only want half an avocado, leave the pit in the half you don't eat, wrap it up and it'll keep in the fridge for a day or 2.

That's actually an old wives' tale. Press plastic wrap onto the surface to prevent exposure to the air which causes browning.

I like avocados with avocados...I will eat them anyway I can get them. I have two getting ready for me right now.

That's actually an old wives' tale. Press plastic wrap onto the surface to prevent exposure to the air which causes browning.
Yup, it's air that oxidizes the avocado to brown. Citrus juice helps (it's has anti-oxidants).

If you leave the pit in the half avocado, it will keep the hole from going brown, 'cause it's not exposed to air. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom