Bananas Are Ripe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aria

Sous Chef
Enjoyed reading the comments and tips. I need some info. All at our house prefer NOT SO RIPE Bananas. They are ripe too soon.

Is there a trick you know to keep Bananas longer without being too ripe?

Thanks Aria

I'm watching this closely. My husband likes them to be heavily tinged with green - I like mine ripe. We have a solution...he eats them first, I eat the rest! :LOL: I would imagine refrigerating them would retard the ripening? Just a guess though.

Anyone with a solution?

Don't put them in the fridge. They turn brown if you do that. I know that if you store them away from apples they last longer. I think I'd try those new Green bags they are talking about.

Other than buying them greener and keeping them from light and not fridge, or extreme heat, buy less more often. I can't imagine what else you could do.

I bake with overripe bananas. You get the best taking baked goods that way.

To keep bananas from ripening--there are forever green bags that help keep vegetables and fruit from spoiling. And they are reusable, too but not forever.

We Like Our Bananas

Thanks. I am going to try the green bags. Aria

I eat as many as I can before they get a single brown spot then let the rest ripen away for baking. I love baking different banana bread recipes, so sorry I don't really have much advice on storage. I really just kind of work with what I have!

Hi,
I agree with Aria about the green bags, and just for info bananas contain more potassium when they are really ripe & the jacket is starting to go brown, my dad told me that, he was a greengrocer all his life ;0)

I agree with all of you.

But....................

The best way for bannana to ripen is if you set them on a metal counter for a few days. I learned that.

Back
Top Bottom