Breadfruit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougiezerts

Assistant Cook
This is a fruit found in Polynesia. According to tradition, Captain Bligh took some from Tahiti--and Fletcher Christian threw them overboard when he mutenied! It's supposed to tast like bread, hence its name.
Have any of you ever tried it? And can you tell me if there's any way I can obtain it in the US? (Canned would be fine.) I've been curious to try it, for many years!

In the US it is tough to find if you can at all. Look online for it you might be able to order it. I have had it in Asian countries so try an Asian market maybe. It is alright as far as fruit goes kind of weird tasting.

I think I've only had breadfruit once as a kid, which is odd considering that I grew up in Hawaii. I don't recall liking it but it was a long, long time ago.

I "think" I've seen canned breadfruit at a local Asian market here in San Diego. I'll have to pay closer attention the next time I'm there. Breadfruit is highly perishable so they will be much harder to find on the mainland. I'll rumble my ex-pat Kamaaina circle to see if anyone has ever seen fresh or canned on the mainland.

I've never heard of it. Of course I've never heard of lemonplum either until Friday when I seen it in my store.

From the Caribbean so I eat breadfruit once a month or more. Cut out the core, stuff it with your favorite mixture of ground beef and throw it in a grill/HOT oven for a while. Cut into wedges and cover in butter.

:clap:

Or slice it thin and fry/bake like chips.

Boil it and mix it with some finely diced scotch bonnet peppers and lime juice and seasonings for a great pickle.

As was said before though, it's fairly perishable so I don't know how readily available it would be in the US.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom