Chestnuts - In A Nutshell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Due to several recent posts which discussed chestnuts, I thought you might find this information that I found on chestnuts helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mish!! I haven't had chestnuts since I was a very small child. Your post taught me a lot!!

Thanks Shunka.

My fondest memories of eating chestnuts were as a child in New York City. When it was so c-c-c-cold out, you could buy them hot in a little bag from street/chestnut vendors. One of these days, I'd like to try to make chestnut stuffing. Yum. :chef:

The chestnut sellers are still on many of the main thoroughfares in London. When I lived there, I used to wait for the first cold weather, to buy some of their produce. I love the smell of them cooking on the charcoal braziers they use... It was usually so cold (and/or wet) that it's wonderful to eat the hot nuts, even if it is difficult to shell them whilst walking along the street.!

The ones that I remember had to have sent to my grandparents by friends as they are not common anywhere here in AZ that I know about.

Thank you Mish...as I mentioned in another thread, I have never layed eyes on a chestnut, except on an episode of Molto Mario. They sound very interesting.

Thanks Mish, I just bought my first batch of chestnuts..They have sure gone up in price since last season, but, the taste makes them well worth it. I did see a jar of imported shelled chestnuts from France, wonder how those would be in stuffing?

kadesma

Here in PA we eat them raw. I know i know, you really arent supposed to.......but boy are they good! And the crunch.........!!! As long as you dont over do it, raw is fine. In fact, I dont know a single person who actually roasts them.

I have 3 American Chestnut trees in my backyard. A lot of friends come out of the woodwork at harvest time. lol.

Constance said:
Thank you Mish...as I mentioned in another thread, I have never layed eyes on a chestnut, except on an episode of Molto Mario. They sound very interesting.

Hiya Constance. Actually, your post inspired me to take a look for an easy overall-description that might be helpful. It helped me too. I'm going to look for some of the alternatives mentioned, in the market - if I can't find fresh. If you've never tried a hot chestnut, it's worth scouting around for. I imagine the aroma of baking them at home, must be heavenly. Let us know if you try one, and how you like it.

kadesma said:
Thanks Mish, I just bought my first batch of chestnuts..They have sure gone up in price since last season, but, the taste makes them well worth it. I did see a jar of imported shelled chestnuts from France, wonder how those would be in stuffing?

kadesma

Thanks, kads. I'm going to look around for the imported ones as well. Thinking out loud, a chestnut paste(?) might be great on many things...a baguette maybe?

Back
Top Bottom