Cranberry sauce recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Anyone out there got a cranberry sauce recipe you like using fresh cranberries? I tried it one time, many moons ago, and I liked it a lot, my husband thought it was OK, but everyone else would have preferred the can. The recipe I used was much like an Indian chutney. I still have it around here somewhere, but I wonder if anyone has a tried and true they like a lot. Husband says he's willing to give it a go again for Thanksgiving. I prefer the tang of the cranberries to be emphasized rather than overwhelmed with sugar.

Bags of Ocean Spray fresh cranberries used to have the recipe on the bag. If not, go to their corporate web site.

Last edited:
Here's one I've been using for years. You can add nuts if you like. If you want to omit the OJ, use water and double the sugar.

12 Oz Cranberries
1 C Orange Juice
½ C Sugar

Wash and sort the cranberries, picking out and discarding soft ones.

Combine the OJ and sugar in saucepan and stir over heat to dissolve the sugar.

Add the cranberries.

Cook at a gentle boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Cool completely to room temperature before refrigerating.

Actually, the recipe I posted is a combination of two recipes on the Ocean Spray cranberry bag. That's where I got the idea to sub OJ for the water.

Here's one I've been using for years. You can add nuts if you like. If you want to omit the OJ, use water and double the sugar.

12 Oz Cranberries
1 C Orange Juice
½ C Sugar

Wash and sort the cranberries, picking out and discarding soft ones.

Combine the OJ and sugar in saucepan and stir over heat to dissolve the sugar.

Add the cranberries.

Cook at a gentle boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Cool completely to room temperature before refrigerating.

this sounds like one i used to make. did it in microwave and used sugar and a whole orange, sliced up. just my daughter and i ate it. the rest preferred the canned. go figure:ohmy::ohmy:

I do mine much the same as Andy but Imssh the berries making more of a relish out of it.
we love it.
kadesma

For the two of us we always open two cans, the jellied for Shrek and the whole berry for me.

When I feel up to it:
Bag of fresh cranberries
2 cans of mandarin oranges with the liquid
1/2 cup of sugar

Cook it down.

Last edited:
Here is one that I am going to try this year.
It is from NPR's Splendid Table show.
It sounds quite extraordinary.
[FONT=&quot]Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 cups whole raw cranberries, washed
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 small onion
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3/4 cup sour cream
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 cup sugar
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons horseradish from a jar ("red is a bit milder than white")
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Grind the raw berries and onion together. ("I use an old-fashioned meat grinder," says Stamberg. "I'm sure there's a setting on the food processor that will give you a chunky grind -- not a puree.")[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Add everything else and mix.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Put in a plastic container and freeze.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Early Thanksgiving morning, move it from freezer to refrigerator compartment to thaw. ("It should still have some little icy slivers left.")[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The relish will be thick, creamy, and shocking pink. ("OK, Pepto Bismol pink. It has a tangy taste that cuts through and perks up the turkey and gravy. It’s also good on next-day turkey sandwiches, and with roast beef.")[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Makes 1 1/2 pints.[/FONT]

My family likes this one. It's good even if you don't like cranberries.
2C dry Marsala
1/2C dried tart cherries
12 oz bag fresh cranberries
12 oz frozen dark sweet cherries (@2/3C), halved
1C golden brown sugar
2t minced fresh rosemary
1/2t ground allspice
Combine marsala & dried cherries in deep saucepan. Boil 'til reduced to 2/3C, @8 minutes. Mix remaining ingredients. Boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium, cover pan and simmer until cranberries burst and it thickens. Transfer to bowl. Refrigerate until cold. (Can be prepared 1 week ahead). Makes @ 3C.

We've made the following Cranberry-Raspberry relish for years. If we were not to make it, our daughter would disown us:

Cranberry Raspberry Relish
1 pound fresh cranberries, finely chopped
1 large or 2 small tart green apples, such as Granny Smith , peeled, cored, and finely diced
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange marmalade
10 oz package frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed and drained
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Mix all ingredients in large bowl.
May be refrigerated, covered, for 1 month
Makes 6 cups; serves 12
Note: This recipe is particularly easy if you use a food processor to chop the apples and the cranberries. If you use a 12-ounce package of cranberries, you might want to cut the sugar down to 3/4 cup or to taste.

We've made the following Cranberry-Raspberry relish for years. If we were not to make it, our daughter would disown us:

Cranberry Raspberry Relish
1 pound fresh cranberries, finely chopped
1 large or 2 small tart green apples, such as Granny Smith , peeled, cored, and finely diced
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange marmalade
10 oz package frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed and drained
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Mix all ingredients in large bowl.
May be refrigerated, covered, for 1 month
Makes 6 cups; serves 12
Note: This recipe is particularly easy if you use a food processor to chop the apples and the cranberries. If you use a 12-ounce package of cranberries, you might want to cut the sugar down to 3/4 cup or to taste.
This sounds lovely thank you.
kades

My family likes this one. It's good even if you don't like cranberries.
2C dry Marsala
1/2C dried tart cherries
12 oz bag fresh cranberries
12 oz frozen dark sweet cherries (@2/3C), halved
1C golden brown sugar
2t minced fresh rosemary
1/2t ground allspice
Combine marsala & dried cherries in deep saucepan. Boil 'til reduced to 2/3C, @8 minutes. Mix remaining ingredients. Boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium, cover pan and simmer until cranberries burst and it thickens. Transfer to bowl. Refrigerate until cold. (Can be prepared 1 week ahead). Makes @ 3C.

I'll bet this dish looks spectacular with the dark and light cherries combined with bright cranberries.

It's very pretty, so great for presentation and with the marsala, my family calls it the "drunken cranberry dish" and everyone takes some home! It's also spectacular served with duck.

Can you believe that after looking at all the recipes and deciding what I was going to do, there were no cranberries available in town the week before Thanksgiving? This is typical small-town stuff, but it is insane given that they're grown a couple of hours north of us and had been on sale (there are only two grocery stores in town). I bought the canned stuff, everyone was happy, and I didn't feel bad throwing the leftovers away.

Here is mine, everyone seems to really like it.

Grind up 1 package fresh cranberries. Into that, grind up on seedless orange, including the peel and 2 apples(peel and remove the core). Season to taste with sugar.

If the orange has a really thick peel, only use half that peel. If you use Clementines, use 2 since they are small and thin skinned.

Sure looks like folks like to experiment with cranberry sauces and relishes. Some good options here.

Thought I'd post mine.

Fresh/Frozen Cranberries (picked over).
Pure Grade B Maple Syrup.
Kosher Salt.

Thats it.
No water, just put the berries and syrup in a pot over medium heat and cook (covered) until they burst and the sauce thickens. Season w/Kosher Salt.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom