Favorite apples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MacIntosh are very easy to get here. That's what we tend to have most often; my son isn't picky between Macs and Spartans. I'll eat Macs but I'd rather have Granny Smith.

"None" of the grocrery store's in my town carry MacIntosh apples year round. The only time I can find them is in the fall when the local orchard's sell them at our Farmer's Market.

"None" of the grocrery store's in my town carry MacIntosh apples year round. The only time I can find them is in the fall when the local orchard's sell them at our Farmer's Market.
That is interesting. I would think Macs would be available all the time everywhere. I guess I assume too much. ;)

I have two buddies that grow apples, and david owns the Kingsburg Apple Farm and when
I need apples I go see him and get a couple shopping bags full of the great big fuji`s that
are to big to pack, and I like to make applesauce with them, before I got my apple peeler,
My mother who taught me how to can, would help me peel these apples and our fingers would start sticking together becasue they had some much sugar. so I had to go wash my hand so I could finish peeling my bag, and my would have to do the same. my other
buddy had 27 different varities at his farm, and fugi1s, granny smith and the pink lady`s was his biggest sellers. I sure enjoy the apples.

In order - Royal Gala, Jazz, Pacific Rose, Golden Delicious (okay, 3&4 are tied), and then red delicious.

Just discovered the Jazz and Pacific Rose this winter. Magnificent.

Fuji and Royal Galas are my favorite apples. Unfortunately, Galas seem to have a bit more vacillation between really good and all mealy and gross. I also like Golden Delicious, but they seem to suffer from grossness even more than Galas.

After years in marching band, however, I'll tell you my least favorite are road apples!

Last edited:
While in Texas (Killeen) in Dec and again in Jan, I had Honeycrisp apples. They were the biggest,juiciest,best tasting apples I ever had. I have looked at 2 stores here in NE Fla and haven't found them yet. They were expensive but would buy them all the time if I could find them,they were heavenly!

I like all kinds of apples, but my favorites were the ones we picked right off the trees when I was growing up. I don't know what kind they were, but they were always good.

I like Gala or Fuji for general eating. Fuji also cook nicely. Red delicious aren't crispy enough most of the time. I vary the apples I cook with depending on the flavor I want..

Back
Top Bottom