Got a glut of bananas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regallion

Cook
Not sure how it happened, but I appear to have accumulated about 10 bananas.

Any suggestions on how to use 'em up? Sweet or Savoury ideas welcome :)

The other night I made a chocolate bread pudding with bananas and raspberries, it was very good, but it will come nowhere close to using 10 bananas!! When I have lots of ripe bananas I mash them and then freeze them in plastic baggies for later (1 cup in each baggie).

Ooh now I love the sound of the bread pudding!!

Could you give a little more on the recipe?

What do you do with 10 bags of mushed up frozen banana?! lol

Sure... Here's the recipe and a pic....

2 cups torn bread
1 cup raspberries (frozen or fresh)
1 mashed banana
2 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
2 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Spread bread layered with raspberries and banana in a greased casserole dish. Heat the milk and stir in chocolate chips until melted. Add eggs and sugar and vanilla. Pour over bread. Let sit 15 minutes. Bake at 350 for about 50 minutes. Top with chocolate sauce

img_444812_0_557c11ff373264dd4a61b7fb77466d22.jpg

Oh re: the 10 baggies of frozen bananas.... I take them out one at a time to make muffins etc. I prefer to do that then freeze them whole because the slimy black frozen bananas turn my stomach! ;)

10 bananas wouldn't last long in my house. However, occasionally, our Kroger store will sell 10-pound bags of bananas for 50 cents. I usually buy at least one bag.

I peel the bananas and mash them, three at a time, and freeze them in a Tupperware container to use in muffins, breads, etc.

For some reason, when bananas are frozen, they are much sweeter after they are thawed. They make fabulous banana bread.

Katie E said:
10 bananas wouldn't last long in my house. However, occasionally, our Kroger store will sell 10-pound bags of bananas for 50 cents. I usually buy at least one bag.

I peel the bananas and mash them, three at a time, and freeze them in a Tupperware container to use in muffins, breads, etc.

For some reason, when bananas are frozen, they are much sweeter after they are thawed. They make fabulous banana bread.
Thanks fo the tip Katie. Around here with the 3 kids, the bananas come in the door at 9 and the peels go out at 9:15:LOL: DH loves the banana bread I make, so I"ll freeze some so I can make it for him.
kadesma

We keep frozen fruit, including bananas, for smoothies or milkshakes, especially in the summertime. I find that the flavor of the smoothies are so much better when just using frozen fruit instead of adding ice. One of my favorites is a peanut butter and banana shake/smoothie.

If you don't want to use milk, I have found the Juicy Juice drinks make a decent base for a fruit smoothie - I like the mango and white grape juices.

Uncle Bob said:
I second that motion!!! All in favor, say Aye! Opposed, there are none!
The Ayes have it!! Motion carried!! Now where are my popsicle sticks:ermm:

Enjoy!

Aye, Aye, Aye :LOL: These are sooooo good. I think they sell them at Disneyland (it's been awhile). You can use skewers if you don't have popsicle sticks.

Another idea - Banana, chocolate & marshmallow S'mores.

I'm off to buy some nanas. :LOL:

This is an all-time favorite of a lot of DC'ers. You could always make more than one loaf and freeze one, too.

BEST Banana Bread

2 cups AP flour
¾ cup sugar
½ cup toasted coarsely chopped walnuts
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, beaten
6 Tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup buttermilk or plain yogurt

Butter a non-stick bread pan, then flour well.

Combine and mix well the following dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside:
2 cups AP flour
¾ cup sugar
½ cup toasted coarsely chopped walnuts
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt

In another medium bowl, coarsely smash 3 ripe bananas (use a large spoon or spatula and don’t puree – the banana needs to be chunky)

To the bananas, add and combine: (but try not to reduce the banana chunks)

2 large eggs, beaten
6 Tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup buttermilk or plain yogurt

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently FOLD until the flour is thoroughly moistened. Pour into the prepared bread pan and spread the mixture evenly across the top.

Bake in a preheated 350-degree (F) oven for 45-50 minutes.

mish said:
Aye, Aye, Aye :LOL: These are sooooo good. I think they sell them at Disneyland (it's been awhile). You can use skewers if you don't have popsicle sticks.

Another idea - Banana, chocolate & marshmallow S'mores.

I'm off to buy some nanas. :LOL:

........Adding nanas and marshmallows to my grocery list!!!

extra nanas for peanut butter and nanna samiches!:chef:

I use extra bananas in banana bread and smoothies.

Have you ever tried mashing a banana and creamy peanut butter, almond butter, or tahini (sesame butter) together for an "instant pudding" treat? Yummy!

Uncle Bob said:
........Adding nanas and marshmallows to my grocery list!!!

extra nanas for peanut butter and nanna samiches!:chef:

Don't forget the choc hershey bar or kisses for your nana s'mores :chef:

Now you're talkin' - A sammich fit for a King. (Would you like some bacon on that?)

During the summer, I slice up strawberries and bananas, and add blueberries and sour cream. Yum.​

I have a recipe for an orange sauce for the banana ravioli, if anyone is interested.​

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom