Greek Fig Spoon Sweet Preserves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Buonasera, Good Evening,

Spoon sweets are a historical Asian Indian tradition which had started IN Greece, under the reign of Alexander The Great. At that time, sugar cost a fortune, and was called Indian Salt. The Greek Military had gone to India to obtain their own sugar cane to create their own sweets. In the 10th century, the Moorish tribes had brought sugar cane to the island of Crete, and later, to Sicilia and Andalusia, Mallorca and Levante, on the Iberian Peninsula. It wasn´t until the discovery of the Americas 1492, that Europeans had brought sugar cane to the Caribbean ( Cuba, Puerto Rico, San Salvador, & The Dominican Republic ) and later in 1515, Mexico.

Greek Fig Spoon Sweet Preserves

*** photo courtesy: Hellenic Ministry of Tourism and Foreign Trade ( see in Post 2 below )

500 grams of jar-red figs
1 ounce or 30 ml. Brandy of choice
1/2 lemon zest

1. drain the figs well and reserve the syrup, and quarter the figs.

In a small bowl, combine the brandy, syrup and grated lemon zest.

2. add the figs back to the syrup and serve cold yogurt garnished with the figs in the brandy flavored syrup

*** This can be made from fresh figs.

Enjoy, Margi.

Last edited:
Photos of Greek Spoon Sweets

Photo Courtesy: Hellenic Tourism and Foreign Trade Ministry

Attachments

• DULCES DE GRECIA.jpg
    DULCES DE GRECIA.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 946
  • DULCES DE GRECIA 1.jpg
    DULCES DE GRECIA 1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 390
Yummy
I have prepared my fig marmelade and caramelised fig spoon sweet, I also have some figs frozen so I can make my pizzas and mezedes during the winter.

Figs have many health benefits as they are a source of calcium and promote bone density.
I also have heard that figs regulate blood pressure, cholesterol, protect against heart disease.
the immune system has benefits from this fruit, so it is anti-cancer.

my caramelized fig spoon sweet recipe is not Greek but Croatian

2 kilos fresh figs, washed and peeled

1 kg.sugar

1 lemon

Wash, peel of the green skin from the figs...place them in a big 5 liter pot, slice the lemon and put it with the figs, pour the sugar on the top, cover the pot and leave it over night.

in the morning when you uncover the pot you will see the sugar has melted and looks like a water.
put it on the stove, bring it to a boil and then simmer on very low temperature for 12 hours or untill the syrup is thick like honey.

no need to stir, just lift the pot and shake it every hour.

When the sweet ready pour it in sterilised jars, turn them uside down for 10 minutes. Store them in a dry dark and cold place.

Last edited:
I have prepared my fig marmelade and caramelised fig spoon sweet, I also have some figs frozen so I can make my pizzas and mezedes during the winter.

Figs have many health benefits as they are a source of calcium and promote bone density.
I also have heard that figs regulate blood pressure, cholesterol, protect against heart disease.

1 kg.sugar

1 lemon

Wash, peel of the green skin from the figs...place them in a big 5 liter pot, slice the lemon and put it with the figs, pour the sugar on the top, cover the pot and leave it over night.

in the morning when you uncover the pot you will see the sugar has melted and looks like a water.
put it on the stove, bring it to a boil and then simmer on very low temperature for 12 hours or untill the syrup is thick like honey.

When the sweet ready pour it in sterilised jars, turn them uside down for 10 minutes. Store them in a dry dark and cold place.

S, thank you, this sounds delicious :yum:

Soulvaki & Kylie: Fresh Figs & Dried Figs

:chef: Firstly, I wish to thank Souvlaki for her classic recipe and I shall definitely be preparing her´s for the birthday party of my younger daughter on the 21st ...

Kylie, is always complimentary and thanks again for your lovely message.

:yum: Figs ...

Greek figs have been an important crop since time memorial ... All Greek figs to my knowledge are still hand picked and have been given a PDO, Protected Designation Origin.

About 1/3 of Greek Figs are wild, and / or privately owned.

I have encountered in our travels throughout Greece, that they are often prepared in Sykomaidha, a Fig Bread or halved and stuffed with almonds or wanuts and sprinkled with bay leaf and sesame seeds.

They are also kneaded into a paste with Ouzo, and / or Mastic Liquor, Grape Must, Walnuts, Spices, fennel seeds, and zest. Fig Pies are prepared throughout Greece, with handed down recipes, thus, all vary from one bar to one bar or one family to another.

Healthy ...

Figs are one of Greece´s oldest foods. Long before invention of pockets in clothing, figs served to be a lunch for travellers, field workers, shepherds, the poor, etcetra ...

They possess enormous quantities of energy boosting nutrients ...

Athletes gorged on them to give them extra added power and endurance without the addictive drugs or steroids.

Hannibal, packed figs and raisins to assist in providing food for his soldiers and elephants while battling with the Alps ... Both raisins and figs have been an essential part of these ancient civilizations. The Egyptians routinely uprooted their enemies trees and vines to quicken the surrender of their enemies ...

The 1st mention of Figs, was documented in the year 2.700 B.C. on Sumerian stone tablets, in an area that stretched from Iran to France.

There are 700 types of Figs ... They are highly perishable and that is why they are dried ...

Hope that you have enjoyed a little brief historical notation ...

Kind regards and thanks for the valuable feedback and contribution and of course the recipe too which I am going to try out Souvlaki.

All my best.
Margi. :)

Yummy

1 kg.sugar

1 lemon

Why did you pick the Croatian recipe Souvlaki:)?

LOL Bolas,
i thought food had no nationality? just joking.

I came across this recipe, i liked the caramelised taste, sort of burnt sugar taste in this sweet.... so i am always preparing several jars.

I also prepare greek fig marmalade ;)

I ain't been down to the fig tree (it's too big to called a bush) since we lost my mother. I just ain't had the urge. My mother dearly loved figs, straight off the tree. I might stroll down there tomorrow and see if there is any left.

LOL Bolas,
i thought food had no nationality? just joking.

I came across this recipe, i liked the caramelised taste, sort of burnt sugar taste in this sweet.... so i am always preparing several jars.

I also prepare greek fig marmalade ;)
:)Souv my wife is Croatian and her Mum makes it.:yum:
Have you been to Croatia?

Charlie D. : Varieties of Spoon Treats

Good Morning Charlie, Buon Giorno,

Firstly, thanks for your feedback.

I would like to point out that in Greece, there are uncountable varieties of spoon treats or fruit, floral and herbal preserves.

Each island and each region produces different crops, and thus here are some other spoon sweet suggestions if you cannot get a hold of fresh figs or dried figs:

Santorini: Tomato

Peloponnese: Orange with Bergamot Herb

Crete: Grapes & / or Raisins combined or individually

Andros: Lemon with Lemon Zest

*** The Monasteries and Convents:

1) Rose Petals which are used at celebrations as a topping on Greek Cheesecakes

2) Sour Cherries

3) Quince ( Membrillo )

4) Peaches with Orange & Orange Zest

5) Cherry

Hope this assists.

Kind regards and best of luck with your festivities.

Margi.

I ain't been down to the fig tree (it's too big to called a bush) since we lost my mother. I just ain't had the urge. My mother dearly loved figs, straight off the tree. I might stroll down there tomorrow and see if there is any left.
your mum had taste hoot.when food is good,don't mess with....like those crabs i've posted......just straight out the shell.keep it simple.
your post reminded me of when i was married.we owned an apartment on the algarve in portugal.the streets in the village and down to the harbour were lined with fig trees.used to pick them and eat them as we walked along,warm from the sun....pure nectar
there were lots of good times....but she did get to keep the apartment,darn it:LOL:!!

Hoot,

I wanted to mention that fresh figs go wonderfully with either goat cheese or ewe cheese Feta drizzled with a bit of reduced Moscatel, a white semi sweet wine ... Nice ... Lovely appetiser or dessert ...

All my best,
Margi.

Last edited:
:yum: Sounds like a wonderful idea.

All my best for a wonderful August.
Margi.

Yes Margi :)

a slice of bread, a slice of goat yellow or white cheese and a slice of fresh fig, nothing better to have for breakfast

I also like pizza with white goat cheese and figs, before servig a top it with slices of prosciutto, :yum:

I think I tried this in Croatia, might as well be an Italian recipe? could you do some research on this? Croatians do have many Italian recipes

Soulvaki,

It is very possible, it is Italian ... Shall do and then post my findings.

Many French Provençal and Californians eat Goat Cheese with fresh figs too, and Sicilians and Andalusians ... Can be Persian, Turkish ? I shall do a historical search and post the data.

Kindest.
Margi.

:)the Italian have many Croatian recipes that they claim, just like they claim the Croatian Marco Polo.
I like Slovenia but I fell in love with Serbia last yr.
We spend a lot of time with family on Hvar.

Back
Top Bottom