ISO - Banana Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember when DH brought home a whole bunch of bananas left over from a tournament, I sliced and dehydrated them. You can do it in a low oven if you don't have a dehydrator.

Gourmet Greg said:
I've done something similar, except used a liqueur and then flambéed it. It's funny how ridiculously simple and easy the recipe is, and yet how showy and tasty it comes out. :)

Yes, forgot to mention the possible hazards of the dish. Whatever liquor you're using will create a flame. Brandy is especially flammable, so take caution when preparing it.

The Wikipedia: flambé article has a good warning: "For safety reasons, it is recommended that alcohol never be added to a pan on a burner, and that the cook use a long fireplace match." (They also warn against using Everclear or 151 proof liquors which are much too flammable for this application, and suggest instead liquors with about 40% or 80 proof alcohol content.)

The Wikipedia: flambé article has a good warning: "For safety reasons, it is recommended that alcohol never be added to a pan on a burner, and that the cook use a long fireplace match." (They also warn against using Everclear or 151 proof liquors which are much too flammable for this application, and suggest instead liquors with about 40% or 80 proof alcohol content.)

I haven't had a gas stove since I started flambéing. I have seen cooking shows where the chef pulls the pan to the side and tilts it to light it on the gas flame.

If I am flambéing at the table, I use an electric frying pan. I have been know to use SAQ.com - Alcool Global 94% - 90076 :)ohmy:) when the alcohol wouldn't ignite. It works. :ROFLMAO: You don't need much. You do need to be careful.

Yeah I've seen those TV chefs do that too. I think I could do it without immolating myself but I'm pretty sure I'd slop some of the pan contents onto the stove. I use a long handled propane lighter instead, and one day it will probably explode in my hand. :)

BTW grain alcohol like Everclear (95%) makes the damned best Bloody Marys! :D Doesn't dilute the tomato juice. Gotta reduce the pour though or your guests will be spending the night on your floor. ;)

For Valentine's Day, I made buttermilk waffles and topped them with sauteed bananas. I put a bit of butter in a skillet, some maple syrup, and then banana slices, topped with whipped cream, a drizzle of my dad's maple syrup, and some crushed walnuts. My parents have been married for 58 years next month, and this was their Valentine's Day breakfast (with a side of bacon, orange juice). I hate bananas, but because they eat a banana a day, I incorporated the bananas in their V'Day breakfast. They ate it up.

Okay, I gotta try this one! Thanks CWS!

When I have a lot of banannas, I often make bananna bread. You could put as much as 8 banannas in a loaf or even just one. The more you put in, the more moist and delicious the bread is.

Here is recipe I suggest, but you can modify it depending on which ingredients you have in the house. Bake at 250 C until it looks well done

Ingredients:
Mix mashed banannas with flour, pinch of salt and some baking soda, and some water if needed.
After you form a loaf, sprinkle sugar and cinnemon on top of it, and then bake.

Mel:chef:

Goodweed beat me to the punch.

Frozen Chocolate-covered bananas on a stick. Dip them in melted chocolate and roll them in chopped nuts, sprinkles, coconut, etc.

Banana S'mores - Sliced bananas, graham crackers, square of chocolate or smear of nutella. Micro heat till chocolate melts.

Slice the banana(s) lengthwise, fill with mini marshmallows and chocolate chips, wrap in foil, & grill.

I don't believe those bananas are good for much other than banana bread by now. If they haven't been used up, they are no doubt very black and soft by now. :LOL:

Good Morning,

Firstly, there is a fruit called a sweet Banana ( platano ) and a South American vegetable called a savoury Plantain ( platano macho ) ... This vegetable is originally from West African Coastal Countries, and was brought to South America by the Slave Traders.

Sweet Banana: I like a home made banana bread for breakfast with an Espresso ...

Savoury Plantains: Tostones, which are a double sautéed plantain, with a very crisp exterior, drizzled with lime juice and sprinkled with salt ...

Then, there is Plantanos Maduros, which are from the over ripe Plantain, and have a sweetness in flavor ... They are usually served with Pernil Pork Roast and rice & black beans in Cuban Miami ... Can be quite tasty ...

Good Post. Thanks.
Margi.

Last edited:
Then, there is Plantanos Maduros, which are from the over ripe Plantain, and have a sweetness in flavor ... They are usually served with Pernil Pork Roast and rice & black beans in Cuban Miami ... Can be quite tasty ...
That's where I'm familiar with plantains, from Cuban cuisine. I've never seen them in cuisines other than Cuban, although they're in plentiful supply in mainstream and Latino markets in Los Angeles.

Back
Top Bottom