"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
From Oxnard, the uncontested strawberry capital of the world:

JUST EAT THEM FASTER. WE'LL GROW MORE!
I just read that California farmers can't get enough workers to pick the whole crop and have to let it rot in the fields or plow it under.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:13 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I also like the idea of lemon juice better Bliss. I'm trying it with my next basket.

I do like sliced strawberry's drizzled with a little good quality balsamic vinegar instead of sugar though.
You should try dark chocolate balsamic, Kayelle. Mmm mmm good
Old 07-04-2017, 08:18 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You should try dark chocolate balsamic, Kayelle. Mmm mmm good
Oh now that sounds just decadent GG......where do I get that?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:30 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
I dunno.... I think that Watsonville might give you a run for the money...

Ross
Yeah, good luck with that! Does Watsonville have anything like this?

[URL="
Old 07-04-2017, 10:40 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Oh now that sounds just decadent GG......where do I get that?
It has to be a specialty store that carries good quality plain and flavored olive oils and balsamic vinegars. I know there's one in Temecula - we went when I visited my sister there. I don't know if that's anywhere near you, but there should be something in southern California.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I just read that California farmers can't get enough workers to pick the whole crop and have to let it rot in the fields or plow it under.
Don't believe everything you read. Oxnard has three harvests every year, so fresh picked strawberries are available year 'round.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:20 PM   #27
Cook

Store bought strawberries can go moldy in a heartbeat. Home grown picked when red but still firm will last a week or longer.

Why? I learned this when I used to work for a trucking company that hauls produce: Strawberries need to ripen on the vine to be sweet enough for us to like them, but they also need to be shipped, often across the country and, a truck takes 3 to 4 days to drive that far. Add to that a day for packing them before shipment and, a day for the grocery warehouse to get them to the store, the one more day in the cooler before they are on the shelf for us to buy. Well that's roughly a week of their self life gone already.

Now, trucking companies and, warehouses have a little trick, if the berries are pretty much firm but a few are going moldy - the gas them with ammonia. the mold disappears, berries look and smell fine but, you buy them and, in a day or two, when all of that ammonia wears off, they mold rapidly because not all of the first bit of mold spores was ever killed. Remove what's preventing mold growth and, it grows on our berries.

How to avoid those berries? Look carefully at the box you want to buy - do not buy any bruised, soft or even minutely wet berries. They should be firm, dry and slightly glossy, some should have a small amount of green near the stem, none should be extremely dark red. Those will keep 5-6 days, maybe longer in a cold enough refrigerator. Mine do fine for 10 to 14 days at 34 F.
BlueMoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:45 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoods View Post
Store bought strawberries can go moldy in a heartbeat. Home grown picked when red but still firm will last a week or longer.

Why? I learned this when I used to work for a trucking company that hauls produce: Strawberries need to ripen on the vine to be sweet enough for us to like them, but they also need to be shipped, often across the country and, a truck takes 3 to 4 days to drive that far. Add to that a day for packing them before shipment and, a day for the grocery warehouse to get them to the store, the one more day in the cooler before they are on the shelf for us to buy. Well that's roughly a week of their self life gone already.

Now, trucking companies and, warehouses have a little trick, if the berries are pretty much firm but a few are going moldy - the gas them with ammonia. the mold disappears, berries look and smell fine but, you buy them and, in a day or two, when all of that ammonia wears off, they mold rapidly because not all of the first bit of mold spores was ever killed. Remove what's preventing mold growth and, it grows on our berries.

How to avoid those berries? Look carefully at the box you want to buy - do not buy any bruised, soft or even minutely wet berries. They should be firm, dry and slightly glossy, some should have a small amount of green near the stem, none should be extremely dark red. Those will keep 5-6 days, maybe longer in a cold enough refrigerator. Mine do fine for 10 to 14 days at 34 F.
Thank you for the information!!! It reminds me of an article about eggs and how long they are actually out. I'm glad I have fresh farm eggs, we are thinking of raising meat for ourselves ( his family have done it before) now I need to get working on my garden! I bought a cheap greenhouse yesterday to see how I would do and like it but I'm saving lots of old windows to actually build myself one !
Old 07-09-2017, 02:07 AM   #29
Executive Chef

I got a two for one deal on strawberries, the usual good sized plastic carton size. The first carton I cut up and poured a ton of sugar on it, for breakfast/brunch type eating. The second carton sat in the fridge for a good week, and only showed slight dark discoloration on parts of the berries when I cut them up and sugar coated them again. They were equally delicious. ( I pour a heavy load of sugar on my strawberries).
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoods View Post
I never buy strawberries in a store. I have at least 7 roadside produce stands within 2 miles of my house, and, being it is Oxnard, they all sell fresh picked strawberries, and they keep the biggest, sweetest ones for their stands before shipping the rest off to the packers. Since I have lived in the Oxnard area, I have never had to macerate strawberries.

Tags
berries, other, strawberries