Keeping strawberries fresh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had 6 lbs of strawberries, DH bought a ton, for the cheese platter and for the fridge and I was so worried they'd start to mold. I threw them in the sink and then put in lemon juice, swished them around, dried them. They lasted for the cheese platter and then for eating and then for a fruit salad, a whole week, so the acid does help and I'd do it again in a minute.

Im so glad you posted this, we love to eat fresh fruit and it goes bad so quick, like flushing my money down the drain!

Ooohhhh Nooooooo! This thread reminded me that I left half a carton of strawberries in the fridge before I left town -- for at least a week. :ohmy:

CD

The narrator needs a new refrigerator if her strawberries start going moldy in 2-3 days. The strawberries I had at breakfast finished up the first of two containers I bought on June 22, so 9-10 days ago. Nothing wrong with them and they were still rather tasty. Here's the second container, which will be gone in a couple of days.

Attachments

• 20170702_222218.jpg
    20170702_222218.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 200
Tax Lady,

Yes, strawberries have a terribly short shelf life .. It is documented.

Yes, I have used White vinegar or red vinegar if you prefer and I have also used fresh lemon.

Both work wonders. The Video is exceptional. Thank you for posting ..
Have a nice day ..

The narrator needs a new refrigerator if her strawberries start going moldy in 2-3 days. The strawberries I had at breakfast finished up the first of two containers I bought on June 22, so 9-10 days ago. Nothing wrong with them and they were still rather tasty. Here's the second container, which will be gone in a couple of days.
I had one batch mold quickly, the rest lasts longer Not sure what happened but I definitely do not need a new refrigerator, if I do I'm going to cry :wacko::LOL:

Merlot, I think he/she meant the narrator of the video. The temperature of a refrigerator should be above 32 degrees F and below 40 degrees F, so 35-38. Don't go buying a refrigerator until you measure the temperature. The comment about needing a new refrigerator was a jump in logic since there are many reasons that strawberries begin to mold.

I've had strawberries that looks perfect in the store, start to mold in 2 days on the bottom. The 6 lbs we bought were washed in lemon/water, of those, 2 strawberries were starting to mold, and that was the day they were bought. My refrigerator is at 35 degrees F. I pay attention to the temperature because I've been hyper vigilant about temperatures since I started making cheese, so I'm measuring it in the fridge, the hot water in the tap, and everything in between.

Merlot, I think he/she meant the narrator of the video. The temperature of a refrigerator should be above 32 degrees F and below 40 degrees F, so 35-38. Don't go buying a refrigerator until you measure the temperature. The comment about needing a new refrigerator was a jump in logic since there are many reasons that strawberries begin to mold.

I've had strawberries that looks perfect in the store, start to mold in 2 days on the bottom. The 6 lbs we bought were washed in lemon/water, of those, 2 strawberries were starting to mold, and that was the day they were bought. My refrigerator is at 35 degrees F. I pay attention to the temperature because I've been hyper vigilant about temperatures since I started making cheese, so I'm measuring it in the fridge, the hot water in the tap, and everything in between.
Oh trust me I'm not, unless someone else is paying :ROFLMAO: but I am going to check my temperature, thanks for the helpful info!

Watch out. Bliss will come after you and try to take your temperature...

I like using lemon juice.

Watch out. Bliss will come after you and try to take your temperature...

I like using lemon juice.

Yes, that's right, I will! If you are not at exactly 98.6 degrees F, you are in big big trouble, beware.

I had one batch mold quickly, the rest lasts longer Not sure what happened but I definitely do not need a new refrigerator, if I do I'm going to cry :wacko::LOL:
I find that, like tomatoes, they keep longer and taste better left out on the counter. Obviously, they aren't going to keep for a long time either in or out of the 'fridge

I find that, like tomatoes, they keep longer and taste better left out on the counter. Obviously, they aren't going to keep for a long time either in or out of the 'fridge
What is the average summer temperature of your house? It's 90°F outside here right now and our air conditioner is set to 78. That's pretty warm for keeping berries out on the counter.

I keep them in the fridge and they last a week or so. If they start getting soft, I put them in the freezer.

I also like the idea of lemon juice better Bliss. I'm trying it with my next basket.

I do like sliced strawberry's drizzled with a little good quality balsamic vinegar instead of sugar though.

Back
Top Bottom