Lemon Ideas Needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jkath-
I have a subscription to Fine Cooking magazine and in the recent issue, there is an article on lemons. Here are the what recipes they have-
Pork Scallopini with Prosciutto, Sage & Caramelized Lemon; Herb Roasted Chicken with Lemons; Angel Hair Pasta with Lemon Cream Sauce; Lemony Chicken Soup with Ginger, Chile & Cilantro; Preserved Lemons; Tomato, Feta & Preserved Lemon Salad; and Preserved Lemon Mayonnaise.
Go check out this issue or if you see a recipe that interests you, I'd be happy to type it up for you when I have a chance.

This came out of an oooooold Family Circle mag - you can guess how old by the name of the recipe!

NIXON'S CHICKEN BARBEQUE
1 fryer, cut up
1 cup lemon juice
1T lemon zest
1tsp. onion powder
1tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
¼ cup butter, melted
2 cloves garlic, minced (or 2 tsp. garlic powder)

Mix all marinade ingredients into the melted butter, and pour over chicken. Marinate overnight. Grill, using extra marinade to brush while grilling. Be careful as the butter will flare up. Do not use oil or margarine instead - it just doesn't do the trick!

You are all spectacular!
I can't wait to start trying these recipes!!!
Corazon, I'll be at the news stand tomorrow to get myself a copy of the magazine - so many sound great!
Yes, mudbug, I do have Annamaria's limoncello recipe :)

Middie, great site for drinks - I started reading the names and freaked out when I saw "tomato tang"....immediately I thought of mixing the two juices and getting ill.....until I read the recipe - tangy, but no tang, thank goodness!
I've always wondered about preserved lemons - and I really appreciate the recipes - but, I wonder, is there possibly a way to preserve them without salt? I forgot to let you guys know I pretty much have to live almost salt free, due to allergies.

I wonder if you could preserve them with sugar somehow?

Some other ideas...
Slice them up thin and place on top (or under) fish and then steam.

Learn how to juggle with them.

GB said:
Learn how to juggle with them.
walk-juggling.gif
How's this?

I'd love to preserve them in sugar - how amazing that syrup would be!:chef:

2 Words: Kami! Kaze!!! Woop Woop!

Edit, oops didn't see the no alcohol. They are beautiful though! I want a lemon tree (pouts and stomps)

Last edited:
Shannon, you remind me so much of one of my friends, it's almost eerie!

kadesma, do you have a recipe for lemon bread?

Also, does anyone know if I can ship these (actually those that aren't yet ripe, I guess) to another state without them getting ruined? Maybe packing them in newspaper? I've still got so many on the tree.

Joani, first you can send me some. :) I love meyer lemons. I am so very jealous. :mrgreen:

In the link here is my Glazed Lemon Pound Cake.

This is my favorite lemon bread recipe.

Glazed Lemon Nut Bread

4 tablespoons butter
¾ cup sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
2 cups flour
2½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
¾ cup milk
½ cup chopped walnuts
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons sugar

Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and lemon peel; beat well. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat until smooth after each addition. Stir in walnuts. Pour into greased 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350º for 50 to 55 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Combine lemon juice and sugar. Spoon over top of loaf. Remove loaf from pan and cool. Wrap tightly to store.

Here is a lemon poppyseed recipe that PA Baker posted.

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

2 c flour (all purpose)
3/4 c white sugar
1/4 c poppy seeds
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 c lemon-flavored yogurt
1/4 c vegetable oil
1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
1/3 c fresh lemon juice
3 Tbsp white sugar

Preheat oven to 400F. lightly grease muffin tin.

Combine flour, 3/4 c sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, yogurt, vegetable oil and lemon zest. Blend well and pour over the flour mixture. Mix until just combined with a wooden spoon. Don't over mix!

Spoon batter evenly between the prepared muffin cups. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the lemon juice with the remaining 3 Tbsp white sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves.

When muffins come out of the oven, pierce the tops several times with a toothpick. Slowly pour about 1 Tsp of the lemon juice and sugar mixture over the tops of each muffin. Let muffins cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing them from the pan.

jkath, I do have a lemon bread recipe..It's one I've had for years..It makes one loaf and I bet many on the forum have made it..
Here it is:
1-c. sugar
1/3-c. melted butter
1-tea. vanilla
1/4-c. lemon juice, fresh
2-eggs
1-1/2-c. a/p flour unsifted
1-tea. baking powder
1-.tea. salt
1/2-c. milk
zest from 1 large lemon or 2 med., more if you like
1/2-c.toasted and chopped pecan or walnuts
Preheat oven to 350. Combine sugar,butter, vanilla and lemon juice. beat in eggs til mix is smooth. Sift all dry ingredients and stir in alternately with the milk. Add zest and pecans. Pour into a buttered 8-in. loaf pan and bake 1 hour or til toothpick comes out clean.
Meanwhile make topping
1/2-c. powdered sugar
1/4-c. fresh lemon juice
dissolve powdered sugar in the juice over low heat...After removing bread from oven pierce the top all over and then pour on the topping. Cool bread in it's pan for an hour.Remove from pan and wrap in foil and let stand for 24 hours before cutting. My kids like this for dessert served with either lemon Italian ice or lemon sorbet.. I use meyer lemons for this bread as I have a dwarf one in my yard in a large pot..This year it's given me 2 dozen lemons, last year about a dozen I really love anything lemon but with the meyer lemons everything seems to taste better..I've made this and pour into the tiny tinfoil pans and given them as Christmas gifts along with a basket of other lemon goodies...
kadesma:)

jkath said:
You are all spectacular!
I can't wait to start trying these recipes!!!
Corazon, I'll be at the news stand tomorrow to get myself a copy of the magazine - so many sound great!
Yes, mudbug, I do have Annamaria's limoncello recipe :)

Middie, great site for drinks - I started reading the names and freaked out when I saw "tomato tang"....immediately I thought of mixing the two juices and getting ill.....until I read the recipe - tangy, but no tang, thank goodness!
I've always wondered about preserved lemons - and I really appreciate the recipes - but, I wonder, is there possibly a way to preserve them without salt? I forgot to let you guys know I pretty much have to live almost salt free, due to allergies.
jkath, my husband bought me 3 cookbooks for Christmas and one of them Boulevard the cookbook has a recipe for preserved lemons, now it does us some kosher salt but also sugar, I'm wondering if the salt could be replaced with sugar and see what would evolve from that...It seems to not have many ingredients and doesn't seem difficult..If you'd like it let me know and I'll send.
kadesma

kadesma said:
jkath, my husband bought me 3 cookbooks for Christmas and one of them Boulevard the cookbook has a recipe for preserved lemons, now it does us some kosher salt but also sugar, I'm wondering if the salt could be replaced with sugar and see what would evolve from that...It seems to not have many ingredients and doesn't seem difficult..If you'd like it let me know and I'll send.
kadesma

I wondered if you could replace the salt with citric acid?

Dove's Lemony Cheesecake Bars reminded me of the Ice Box Cheesecake recipe.

Ice Box Cheese Cake

1 (3 oz.) box of Jell-O lemon or orange
¾ cup hot water
1 (8 oz.) pkg. softened cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 cup Cool Whip topping
Graham Cracker Pie Crust

Dissolve Jell-O with hot water; set aside. Beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice until well dissolved. Then mix cooled Jell-O into cream cheese mixture. Add 1 cup Cool Whip topping. Make crust. Save some crust to sprinkle on top. Pour Jell-O/cream cheese mixture into pie crust. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Graham Cracker Pie Crust

1 ¼ cup fine graham cracker crumbs
¼ cup sugar
6 tablespoons melted butter

Mix together thoroughly and press into bottom of pie pan.

Well, Sierra, I just took the lemon nut bread out of the oven and it is beautiful! I used pecans instead of walnuts, as that's what I had in the pantry. I've got 4 more minutes and I get to glaze it. I'll tell you how it was in tomorrow's posting. Thanks again!

I think I'm going to start my own lemon cookbook with all these recipes!
(any of you ever make your own? It's fun, easy and makes a nice little giftie for a friend too)

The lemon bread is fantastic!

I changed it up just a tiny bit, by using 2 TBSP instead of 2 tsp lemon peel (gotta use up those lemons!) and also because I love it so much....and I did use pecans, as I had them on hand.

It made the most beautifully perfect loaf! The texture was very nice too. I think the only thing I'll change for next time is to make twice the amount of glaze, as sugar is a very good thing imo.

Sierra, this is a winner!

shannon in KS said:
2 Words: Kami! Kaze!!! Woop Woop!

Edit, oops didn't see the no alcohol. They are beautiful though! I want a lemon tree (pouts and stomps)

Shannon, I actually have a greenhouse where I could grow one.
I have some actual key lime seeds, and I was thinking about starting a few of those.
Thinking and doing are two different things.

Attachments

• cartoons011.gif
    cartoons011.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 163
jkath said:
The lemon bread is fantastic!

I changed it up just a tiny bit, by using 2 TBSP instead of 2 tsp lemon peel (gotta use up those lemons!) and also because I love it so much....and I did use pecans, as I had them on hand.

It made the most beautifully perfect loaf! The texture was very nice too. I think the only thing I'll change for next time is to make twice the amount of glaze, as sugar is a very good thing imo.

Sierra, this is a winner!

Would you believe I got the recipe from my high school home ec teacher. It is one of the first breads that I learned how to make. I would have increased the lemon peel, too. The more lemony the better. I am glad that you liked the recipe. :)

I didn't read through all the threads, so don't know if this was mentioned or not -

Roasted lemon slices - slice very thinly, place on oiled baking sheet and roast at 450 for about 20-30 minutes. Yes, they get crispy and brown!

I did this once with some roasted asparagus and they were just delightful!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom