Pears, blue cheese and walnuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
giada makes a tart with sauteed pears creamy gorganzola and proscutto. You could blend the walnuts into the creamy gorganzola. I can try and find the recipe for you if you like. I've made it a few times here at home, it's super easy and really really good!

PLLLLEEEEAAASE try to find that recipe. I have a wedge of gorgonzola and some prosciutto that needs a home.

Let me add my voice to that choir :) Sounds good as well.

I got the PM and will post a message here when I have tried it.

I am aware of a few other threads about pears, but I am looking for a bit more specific things.

In my mind, pears go well together with blue cheeze and walnuts. And I am thinking it should be possible to find a recipe for a cheezcake or a pie that combine these three things. But so far, my searches has not preoduced anything worth trying.

Does anyone here have a recipe that uses these three things?

This recipe was a finalist in the Great American Salad Toss Contest at the IHM&RA Show in New York a few years back.

Caramelized Pear Salad with Toasted Walnuts and Roquefort on mixed young greens

makes 4 servings

4 pears (2 Bosc, 2 Bartlett)
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup brown Chinese vinegar
1 bunch oak leaf lettuce
1 bunch watercress
1 cup torn pieces of baby Swiss chard
1 cup torn pieces of frisée
Vinaigrette (see below)
1 cup coarsely broken walnut pieces, toasted
Crumbled Roquefort cheese

To Caramelize the Pears:
1. Peel and core the pears and divide each one into 24 slices. Warm a large sauté pan and add the oil. Add the pears and turn the heat to medium-low so the pears will not burn before they brown, soften and caramelize.
2. When the pears have browned on one side, turn them over and sprinkle with the sugar. Add the vinegar and cover the pan. Cook for about 20 minutes, then remove the lid and continue cooking until almost all the liquid in the pan has evaporated.
3. Remove the pears to a large plate (in a single layer). Scrape the remaining pan juices and brown bits into a small bowl for the vinaigrette.

For the Salad:
1. Wash and dry all the greens. Tear into bite-sized pieces and place into a bowl large enough to hold all of them comfortably.
2. Toss the greens gently to combine. Then pour over the dressing (reserving about 2 tablespoons) and toss again.
3. Divide the dressed greens evenly between 4 large plates and fan one-fourth of the pears atop each bed of greens. Be sure to use some of each kind of pear.
4. Sprinkle walnut pieces and Roquefort cheese over each salad. Drizzle the remaining dressing over all and serve as a first course.

For the Vinaigrette:
pear pan juices
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/8 teaspoon wasabi powder
1/3 cup walnut oil
1/3 cup canola oil
sea salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste

Place lime juice and wasabi powder in the bowl with the pear pan juices. Whisk to combine well. Whisking constantly, add first the walnut oil, then the canola oil. Taste and add salt and pepper to your liking.

That sounds divine. Almost wish I had all the ingredients. All I have are the pears.

oh it is perfect. My husband and I actually ate nearly the entire thing the day it was made. The only changes I would make would be to try and chop the proscutto into very small peices because the longer strips made it really hard to cut and serve. I would also serve with a little drizzle of honey for another layer of flavor.

I have a recipe at home for a blue cheese cheesecake. I will PM you with it around 6:00-ish or a bit sooner. It doesn't use those 3 things specifically, but, that's what cooking is all about!

I would love to have that recipe. I had a bleu cheese ice cream (with pears and I believe candied walnuts) at Lola Cleveland that made me want to get up and dance! Would you share with me as well?

Thank you so much. I read the reviews and enlarged the picture and now I HAVE to make it. I had to laugh at the reviewer who gave it one star saying that if you don't like gorgonzola you aren't going to like this tart. Well, DUH. Why would she even make it in the first place??

you just have to laugh! :LOL::LOL:

In her book "The Cheeselover's CookBook and Guide," Paula Lambert has a FABulous recipe I've served many times, Port Poached Pears with Stilton Soufflé. I have made it with other blue cheeses as well, with great success. You can serve this as dessert, or as a light supper, with a tangy green salad and crusty bread for counterpoints. I included a link to the book, in case anyone is interested.

I would love to have that recipe. I had a bleu cheese ice cream (with pears and I believe candied walnuts) at Lola Cleveland that made me want to get up and dance! Would you share with me as well?

Lola's is a wonderful restaurant. I was there the night before Chef Michael Symon was named Iron Chef America. I knew he had won but he wasn't allowed to confirm it. His restaurant is fabulous--from the amuse bouche to dessert. If you are ever in Cleveland, I would definitely make reservations in advance to go.

I haven't been to Lola's yet. When Barbara and maidrite were up here I thought about going there but I suggested another place instead. Will keep Lola's in mind though.

Perfect ingredients for tasty sandwich!!

Slice the pears, lay on a halve croisant, crumble on the blue cheese and walnuts. Add leaf lettuce(crisp) and some thin sliced avacado and tomatoes. Drizzle with a little basil olive oil....

I have had this with apples, no reason the pear wouldn't be as good, perhaps better.

That sounds like a great sandwich, but I wouldn't put it on a croissant. I have never understood why Americans want to toast and butter the already buttery and cunchy (if made right) croissant, or splitting them horizontally for a sandwich. Now, if you want to stuff them before baking, that's a horse of a different color. ;)
I think that sandwich would be extra-special on multigrain bread. :chef:

I haven't been to Lola's yet. When Barbara and maidrite were up here I thought about going there but I suggested another place instead. Will keep Lola's in mind though.

It can be hard to get a reservation and it is expensive but the food was fantastic! Anytime the Northeastern Ohioans want to go, let me know and I will try to make it.

That sounds like a great sandwich, but I wouldn't put it on a croissant. I have never understood why Americans want to toast and butter the already buttery and cunchy (if made right) croissant, or splitting them horizontally for a sandwich. Now, if you want to stuff them before baking, that's a horse of a different color. ;)

LOL - 'cause it's good? I agree, no need to toast and butter, but, that wasn't mentioned. I'll take the above sandwich minus the avocado though, on a coissant, cause...well, I'm an American :ermm:?...or you can stuff it...that couldn't be bad either...

LOL - 'cause it's good? I agree, no need to toast and butter, but, that wasn't mentioned. I'll take the above sandwich minus the avocado though, on a coissant, cause...well, I'm an American :ermm:?...or you can stuff it...that couldn't be bad either...

Okay.... for me, good croissants are so rich and buttery I like 'em best all by themselves! I like to "unroll" them and pull off the pieces. :pig:

I have gorgonzola and Cabrales blue cheese, apples, pears, walnuts, leaf lettuce,avocados and tomatoes on hand. AND Milton's Sprouted Multi-Grain Bread (my favorite) from Trader Joes. This will definitely be lunch today but I want to do this one on a croissant maybe later next week. I LOVE anything on a croissant, but I agree, I never butter them.

Will let you know later this afternoon how the sandwich turned out.

Okay.... for me, good croissants are so rich and buttery I like 'em best all by themselves! I like to "unroll" them and pull off the pieces. :pig:

I see the problem now June - I probably have never had a truly worth-while, well-made, croissant. Every croissant served as a sandwich here has been previously frozen. I do know of one bakery - will have to run by there after work to see if they make croissants. Now, telling me how you unroll them and pull off that flaky, buttery goodness is simply mean! :(

I see the problem now June - I probably have never had a truly worth-while, well-made, croissant. Every croissant served as a sandwich here has been previously frozen. I do know of one bakery - will have to run by there after work to see if they make croissants. Now, telling me how you unroll them and pull off that flaky, buttery goodness is simply mean! :(

OHHHHHH, frozen croissants are the pits. Try to get them from a bakery, preferably while they're still warm. OMG! Sheer heaven.

Back
Top Bottom