Pears, blue cheese and walnuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceanwatcher

Assistant Cook
I am aware of a few other threads about pears, but I am looking for a bit more specific things.

In my mind, pears go well together with blue cheeze and walnuts. And I am thinking it should be possible to find a recipe for a cheezcake or a pie that combine these three things. But so far, my searches has not preoduced anything worth trying.

Does anyone here have a recipe that uses these three things?

With that combo you really don't have to do anything.. they are really nice together...Slice the pears, crumble the nuts on top of the cheese, drizzle with honey and serve.. maybe with some crusty bread or crackers.

I am aware of a few other threads about pears, but I am looking for a bit more specific things.

In my mind, pears go well together with blue cheeze and walnuts. And I am thinking it should be possible to find a recipe for a cheezcake or a pie that combine these three things. But so far, my searches has not preoduced anything worth trying.

Does anyone here have a recipe that uses these three things?

I have a recipe at home for a blue cheese cheesecake. I will PM you with it around 6:00-ish or a bit sooner. It doesn't use those 3 things specifically, but, that's what cooking is all about!

I have a recipe at home for a blue cheese cheesecake. I will PM you with it around 6:00-ish or a bit sooner. It doesn't use those 3 things specifically, but, that's what cooking is all about!

Great! That sounds like something that can be adapted. Maybe pear halves under the cheese filling and toasted walnuts on top...

A salad is of course also an option, but this time I was looking for something sweeter :) Trying to make the most of some local ingredients.

Oceanwatcher - I am not going home as early as I thought, but, I will send this recipe later tonight. I was thinking more of some sort of cracker/walnut "crust", with a few walnuts thrown in the mixture and the pears on top, cut in slices, just randomly placed all over the top.

Oceanwatcher - I am not going home as early as I thought, but, I will send this recipe later tonight. I was thinking more of some sort of cracker/walnut "crust", with a few walnuts thrown in the mixture and the pears on top, cut in slices, just randomly placed all over the top.

I'll pick it up whenever it comes. That version sounds like a good idea as well. Have to try it :)

I make a dynamite salad using baby spinach, canned pears, walnuts, and blue crumbled blue cheese. I make a poppyseed dressing. Sometimes I add dried cranberries to this salad and it really makes it visually pleasing as well as adding to the flavor. I made this for dinner a few nights ago but used apple slices instead of pears.

I have to add that one of my favorite scenarios on a cold, cloudy, dreary autumn or winter afternoon/evening is a platter with a couple of sliced, perfectly ripe pears (any type), a wedge of good blue (Stilton is a favorite), a few crackers, a glass or two of fine Ruby Port, & a good old movie on tv &/or a good book.

Just finished a GREAT ruby port here. Now I have to wait for the next trip back to Norway to get another bottle (tax free). It is very expensive to buy the good stuff here. And yes, blue cheese, pears and port is a wonderful combination!

Nvere heard of this before. Do you have a recipe?

Here is the recipe. It's a somewhat sweet dressing and works well with fruits and nuts added to the spinach. I make this in the summer usually, adding sliced strawberries, dried cranberries, canned mandarin oranges and apple pieces. My grandkids can't get enough.

POPPYSEED DRESSING

3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup sugar, or a little less
3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar, raspberry vinegar or champagne vinegar. Don't use plain wine vinegar.
2 tsp. poppyseeds

Mix all ingredients with a wire whisk and refrigerate for about 2 hours to let flavors meld. This makes about 1 cup and will last for about 4 days in the fridge.

Note: If you can find raspberry vinegar it makes a fantastic difference in the dressing.

I have to add that one of my favorite scenarios on a cold, cloudy, dreary autumn or winter afternoon/evening is a platter with a couple of sliced, perfectly ripe pears (any type), a wedge of good blue (Stilton is a favorite), a few crackers, a glass or two of fine Ruby Port, & a good old movie on tv &/or a good book.

You hit it right on the head. My husband and I often sat on the patio sipping Port and eating some great exotic cheese on crackers or warm French baguette.
I still do that once in a while but it's not the same without him. And Stilton is one of my favorite blues. The other is Cabrales from Spain. Outshines Maytag anyday.

You said you were looking for something sweeter..A puff pastry tart shell, smear the bottom with either mascarpone or cream cheese with a little honey not to thick just a thin layer, then take you pears, slice them into a nice bite size toss into a skillet with melted butter, cook a few minutes maybe 5 add some more honey or brown sugar some walnuts then pour this on top of the cheese
cut and eat while still warm.Some ice cream or whipped cream if you want something really rich and comfy

kadesma

I sent you a PM Oceanwater. This bleu cheese cheesecake, you should know, is savory! I don't know if I could eat a sweet bleu cheese cheesecake, unless, of course, the sweetness came from port drizzled on it! :pig::chef:

giada makes a tart with sauteed pears creamy gorganzola and proscutto. You could blend the walnuts into the creamy gorganzola. I can try and find the recipe for you if you like. I've made it a few times here at home, it's super easy and really really good!

New Year's eve I made this Bleu Cheese Pear tart for an appetizer.
img_761183_0_1bc084d283e8b8c911297315fbc5aa6c.jpg

Puff pastry rounds with a layer of bleu cheese/mascarpone (you could use creamed cheese), a layer of thinly sliced seckel pears (that is what I had on hand). Bake at 400° for 15 minutes, remove from oven and add pine nuts and fresh thyme, return to oven for another 10-12 minutes. Serve immediately with honey drizzled over the top. They were delicious! :-p

giada makes a tart with sauteed pears creamy gorganzola and proscutto. You could blend the walnuts into the creamy gorganzola. I can try and find the recipe for you if you like. I've made it a few times here at home, it's super easy and really really good!

PLLLLEEEEAAASE try to find that recipe. I have a wedge of gorgonzola and some prosciutto that needs a home.

Back
Top Bottom