Persimmons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
A friend brought us 5 Lbs of these strange looking things.

How do you tell when they are ripe?
The biggie..What to do with them?

I have no idea Besides a quick Google search.Bread and jam showed up.

Looking for ideas.

Thank you

Munky Badger

They're ready to eat once they get quite soft. I always just eat them out of my hand but I was given a bunch of them not long ago and made creamsicles with a couple.

You can tell if they are ripe by taking one bite. If your mouth puckers up into an incredibly dry, cottony state, they are not ripe.

Jam is the best way to prepare them.

img_1485987_0_da69b41e63a42797feb0cdc85213d6d6.jpg

persimmon??

or

pomegranate
img_1485987_1_9f2e306410927da313b0bdd0e25bdc30.jpg

I have a friend who always mixes the two names up :)rolleyes: on occasion so have I)

They're ready to eat once they get quite soft. I always just eat them out of my hand but I was given a bunch of them not long ago and made creamsicles with a couple.

How did you make creamsicles with them?
Sounds good.Mr. Munky wants a smoothie..:LOL:

The juice of one orange, 2 Persimmons skinned and put in the food processor, 1 c heavy cream, a tablespoon or more of honey. Mix it all together and pour into popsicle forms and freeze. I always drink what's left over.

I just eat them. Khaki is another variety of persimmon that has better store life. I just eat them.

Native persimmons are small--ping pong ball size. They are ready when they are orange and very soft.

Asian persimmons are a whole different thing--much bigger (apple size), and can be eaten when firm. If you eat a native persimmon when it is not quite ripe, your mouth will turn inside out--very astringent.

A friend brought us 5 Lbs of these strange looking things.

How do you tell when they are ripe?
The biggie..What to do with them?

I have no idea Besides a quick Google search.Bread and jam showed up.

Looking for ideas.

Thank you

Munky Badger
They need to be fairly squishy and look a bit gone-over although there's a variety (called "sharon fruit" in the UK) which isn't so astringent and can be eaten when firm.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2013/jan/02/how-to-eat-a-persimmon

The persimmons shown in the pictures on this thread are Fuyu persimmons. They can be eaten when they are still hard and deep orange in color -- like an apple (skin included). They are delicious cut up in a salad or you can wait until they are soft and eat them like jam -- warm toast, peanut butter, and soft persimmon pulp is delicious for breakfast or a snack.

The other common variety of persimmon is Hachiya persimmon. They CANNOT be eaten when they are hard. Wait until they turn very soft and then scoop them out avoiding the skin and use them as mentioned above, like jam, or use them in
cookies, quick bread, etc. --- tons of recipes for persimmon pulp are online. Also, the soft pulp may be frozen with a little lemon juice.

Enjoy your persimmons. I've discovered that people either really like them or won't go near them! Ha! Ha!

Back
Top Bottom