Personal Size Watermelon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
Each year as soon as they come on the market, I start buying the small personal size watermelons. Not because I am crazy about them, but to get some much needed fluids into me. I try to find one that is as close to ripe as possible. Making sure all the stripes are complete and straight and hopefully there is some yellow where it sat on the ground. A lot of time that is not possible. So I settle for the best I can find.

These 'melons have no taste so early in the season. But I need the fluids. But I made a discovery this morning. I had cut one in half the other day and failed to place a piece of plastic over the half I wasn't going to eat right away. Today I went to eat it and a lot of the fluid had evaporated and the top of the cut was very dry. Hmmm. It tasted like watermelon should. So from now on when I buy one, I will cut it in half and let both halves dry out before I start to eat it. The flavor only lasts down to where it has dried out. The only drawback to all of this. :angel:

I'm also a big fan of watermelon!

I buy a small one or a half of one and when I get it home from the market I cut it into cubes and put it into a large Pyrex mixing bowl. I cover the bowl with a dinner plate and put it into the refrigerator. When I want a bowl of fruit I just give it a stir and each piece gets coated with juice. I like this method because I only have one sticky mess to deal with as opposed to lugging out the melon each time and carving off a chunk. I also find that I'm more apt to eat it if I don't have to go through the hassle. When the fruit is gone I pick up the big bowl and drink the last of the juice! :pig:

As a kid we always ate watermelon with salt! I kept that up until just recently when I wanted to cut back on my salt intake.

What's the point of bring out the juice with salt, unless you want watermelon juice? If you don't salt it the juice will be in the fruit that you eat and you will get all of it. Sounds to me like it would just make it messier.

We learned to do this in old Mexico. Sqweeze some lime slices on melon to bring out the flavor. Save your salt intake for Margaritas:LOL:

Just saw a pic of this today. Cut melon slices into triangles. Stick a popsicle stick through the rind. Freeze. Eat. Preferably outdoors on a hot day. Run through the sprinklers to rinse off. Repeat all summer. <<< Well, they didn't Editorialize these last parts. It makes for a fun visual.

Each year as soon as they come on the market, I start buying the small personal size watermelons. Not because I am crazy about them, but to get some much needed fluids into me. I try to find one that is as close to ripe as possible. Making sure all the stripes are complete and straight and hopefully there is some yellow where it sat on the ground. A lot of time that is not possible. So I settle for the best I can find.

These 'melons have no taste so early in the season. But I need the fluids. But I made a discovery this morning. I had cut one in half the other day and failed to place a piece of plastic over the half I wasn't going to eat right away. Today I went to eat it and a lot of the fluid had evaporated and the top of the cut was very dry. Hmmm. It tasted like watermelon should. So from now on when I buy one, I will cut it in half and let both halves dry out before I start to eat it. The flavor only lasts down to where it has dried out. The only drawback to all of this. :angel:
I love the idea that you can buy individual sized watermelon. The only ones we see over here are giant sized ones as big as or bigger than your head. Not a viable proposition when you are the only one who eats watermelon.

I love the idea that you can buy individual sized watermelon. The only ones we see over here are giant sized ones as big as or bigger than your head. Not a viable proposition when you are the only one who eats watermelon.
Before I moved to Europe in 1969, I hadn't seen a watermelon smaller than the one this slice came from:

babywatermelon.jpg

I've dehydrated watermelon, the end result tastes like cotton candy. Also, it makes a nice drink when pureed and paired with lemon or lime juice and a sweetener. The juice freezes well too.

The individual size ones are a little bit smaller than a soccer ball. Just enough for one person. :angel:

I prefer buying the wedges of watermelon in the store. Just enough for a couple days, plus I can sniff the melon. If it smells a little like watermelon through the plastic wrap I know it will taste good. Himself hates being with me in the produce section. If it's a fruit or veggie that's supposed to smell like something I'll be sniffing till I find one that actually smells like what I'm holding. And I swear I can smell "green" when it comes to stone fruits. Can't describe the smell, but I know it when I smell it.

I prefer buying the wedges of watermelon in the store. Just enough for a couple days, plus I can sniff the melon. If it smells a little like watermelon through the plastic wrap I know it will taste good. Himself hates being with me in the produce section. If it's a fruit or veggie that's supposed to smell like something I'll be sniffing till I find one that actually smells like what I'm holding. And I swear I can smell "green" when it comes to stone fruits. Can't describe the smell, but I know it when I smell it.

When I worked at The Western Washington Fair with my 4-H kids, the produce trucks were pulling into the produce building. The peach truck arrived first. You could smell those peaches clear across the compound. Each time a new truck pulled in and started to unload, you could smell their fruit. Plums, apples, , etc. A little heady for a fruit lover. I did make sure I got a couple of the peaches. Juice running down my arm. I went back to the farmer with the pits. I offered to trade him two pits for two more peaches. I ended up with four more peaches and got to keep the pits. :angel:

Before I moved to Europe in 1969, I hadn't seen a watermelon smaller than the one this slice came from:

babywatermelon.jpg
That took me back. When I was a very little girl I had a book with an hand coloured illustration of a black child sitting in the melon patch eating a huge slice of w/melon like that one. (Not very PC in this modern age.) Can't remember what it was called but the upshot was that the child ate too much w/melon and was sick. A salutary tale to advise the reader of the results of greed.

Back
Top Bottom