Rose Apple for DaCook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chopstix

Head Chef
DaCook, here's a picture of this fruit. It's called Chompooh locally and Rose Apple in the supermarket labels. Apparently its official name in the books is Java Apple. To give you an idea of it's size, it's height is the same as that of a regular apple.

The texture when you bite into it is almost like that of an apple too, but the meat is less dense and more watery with a sweetish taste. Overall a very refreshing fruit to munch on.

This is also available in the Philippines (called Macopa) but I don't know anyone who would actually buy it to eat it. That's because macopa in the Philippines has asolutely no sweet taste, just a watery even slightly sour taste. Maybe if one had a macopa tree one would eat the fruit to avoid waste.

The Thai rose apple is definitely much better tasting and is actually a popular fruit.

http://toptropicals.com/pics/garden/05/fruit/5505.jpg

I had a rose apple for the first time ever this year! We bought a whole bunch of fruit we had never tried from a Chinese supermarket. Rose apple was one of the nicer ones! I think Chopstix description...more watery than an apple and slightly sweet, is pretty accurate.

It was ok and I am glad I tried it, but probably would not buy one again.

Those look lovely, I'll have to keep my eyes pealed next time I'm at a large Asian market, as I really like bringing home new fruits for DH & I to try. Thank-you for the info and picture link, Chopstix :)

Very interesting!! I've never seen this fruit (unlikely in my neck of the woods) but I will keep an eye out so that I can try it sometime.

Back
Top Bottom