Saving Zest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
Can the zest of citrus fruits be saved? I wanted an orange last night and peeled the zest off the orange first before cutting it up. I just hate the thought of the zest going to waste. If so, how do I go about it? Is it feesible to vaccum seal it and freeze it?

I'm rather fond of chocolate coated citrus rinds, so when I peel my citrus fruit, I make sure I peel it in sections. Then I freeze it. That way, I've always got enough rind to coat with chocolate when I get the urge (I just cut it into thin strips); and I've always got plenty of rind for grating (it's easy when it's frozen). If I want a lot of grated rind, I zap it through the food processor. When coating with chocolate, the white pith stays on (unless it's really thick), but for grated rind, you need to remove the pith. It's easy if you use a teaspoon.

If you wanted just the grated rind, pack it into a plastic bag and squash it flat like a pancake. Make layers if you like, with plastic wrap in between. That way, you can break off small pieces as desired - no need for a hammer and chisel!

I'm not supposed to eat the zest anymore (because of kidney stones), but when I did use it, I froze it all the time.

:) Barbara

Back
Top Bottom