Toasted pumpkin seeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i just toss mine with oil and sprinkle with salt before i toast them. crewsk you'll love them. they're very tasty. better than sunflower seeds. this time i'm trying shannon's way. thank you for sharing this btw shannon !

This year I am going to toss them with olive oil and then chili powder instead of salt. I did soak them in salt-water last night though. This is the first time I have done that, but since so many people here do that step then it must be good :chef:

Last edited:
Now that I couldn't do!:LOL: I tried my seeds & they are very good. Just enough heat to them to burn the back of your tounge as your swallowing them.

Are you supposed to dry them before cooking? I am attempting on drying them but I'm not sure what the best method is for doing so. I just scattered them on paper towels but have found those pumpkin seeds to be very sticky. How do you guys do it? What's the secret trick? or treat?

I would just dry them straight onto a sheet pan, and if they stick to that, scrape them up with a spat, then toss with oil and seasonings.

eeehh, just whenever it starts really sticking to the seeds. I winged it! When they cooled of the coating was not at crunchy, but everyone at work LOVED them today!
crewsk said:
Shannon, that looks really good! Too bad I don't have a candy thermometer or experience whit judging the stages without one or I'd make those. Right now my pumpkin seeds are in the oven with butter, salt, cayenne-garlic sauce, & a little garlic powder. I've never toasted pumpkin seeds before so this is a new experience for me. They smell really good & I can't wait to try them!

2nd time around this evening...

1 1/2 cups seeds
4 T butter
1 cup sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp molasses

made a much thicker coating! Happy Halloween everyone!

shannon in KS said:
eeehh, just whenever it starts really sticking to the seeds. I winged it! When they cooled of the coating was not at crunchy, but everyone at work LOVED them today!

My seeds came out great. I soaked in salt-water overnight then tossed with olive oil and chili powder and a little salt. They were delicious. I do not think the salt-water soak did anything noticeable though. I think I will skip that step next time.

I don't want to be a wet blanket but..... anybody with diverticulitis or a compromised colon should NOT eat these. Of course they also can't eat popcorn or most nuts but these would be especially brutal for them. I love them - but since they are not a common food - they are possibly something a Dr. might not think to warn you about.

I want all my DC friends to stay healthy!:heart:

Back
Top Bottom