Using Up Red Delicious Apples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
They are not my favorite apples, and HH got them by mistake last week (I had said, get ANY KIND BUT....).

How to finisht them off? Too mealy to enjoy eating raw. Too mushy for a pie? Homemade applesauce?

I've got six of them left.

Not my favorite apple either, but I have used them in a stuffing for boneless pork chops (bacon, onion, crumbled corn muffin, chopped apple, sage). Maybe bake them with some butter and brown sugar, or saute them with brown sugar and butter and pour over vanilla ice cream.

mudbug:

Try this recipe. It's so easy. Toss everything into a bowl, mix and bake. Although the recipe calls for Macs, I've made it with several different types of apples.

Andy

Apple Squares

1 C Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 1/4 C Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
2 Eggs
3/4 C Chopped Nuts
3 Macintosh Apples, diced

Preheat the oven to 375º F.

Grease a 8”x8” pan.

Mix all the ingredients together and pour into the pan.

Bake for 35-40 minutes.

Cool and cut into squares.

Serve with vanilla ice cream.

I know this doesn't sound to good.. but it actually is:
just dice up the apples.. after you peel them.. add mayonnaise and chopped walnuts.. and its a salad.. works great with red delicious apples .. and really does taste good
:)

Dice the apples and saute them with butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar.

Serve as a topping for waffles.

Andy M. said:
Dice the apples and saute them with butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar.

Serve as a topping for waffles.

In southern Illinois, we call that fried apples, Andy. You can add a few plumped raisons, if you wish. I like to serve them with ham and pork, or for dessert with ice cream.

If you want to make applesauce, core apples and chunk up, leaving the peelings on. Put in a saucepan with 1/2 cup of sugar, and cook on med/low heat until the juices start to run. Turn heat up a little and let cook till soft. Run through a food mill, then put in a pan and slowly reheat. Check seasoning, and add more sugar if needed, a splash of lemon juice, cinnamon to taste, or 1-2 tablespoons Red Hots in place of cinnamon.

If you want to use the Food Processor instead of a food mill, you'll need to peel the apples before you cook them. Personally, I think the peelings add a lot of taste.

mudbug said:
They are not my favorite apples, and HH got them by mistake last week (I had said, get ANY KIND BUT....).

How to finisht them off? Too mealy to enjoy eating raw. Too mushy for a pie? Homemade applesauce?

I've got six of them left.

Oh just send them over to me, I will gobble them up:ROFLMAO:

You can make some apple crumbles I have used delicious apples for this, though some firmer, tarter apples are supposed to be better for the recipe, but it turned out just fine, they are delicious with some custard, whipped cream or good vanilla ice cream!

HH is one of the peaceful natives, bucky, so I don't think I will rile him much. And I am probably going to make Andy's apple cake tonight as a gift to the village.

Update for Andy M.

Made your apple square recipe (sorry, NOT cake) last night. Everyone loved it, and HH thinks it makes a perfect breakfast food for on the road.

Another good one from Mr. Andy!

mudbug said:
Made your apple square recipe (sorry, NOT cake) last night. Everyone loved it, and HH thinks it makes a perfect breakfast food for on the road.

Another good one from Mr. Andy!

Thanks a lot, mudbug. I'm glad you liked it

I had that at my sister's home one day and liked it. I asked for the recipe and was surprised how easy it is to make.

I'm thinkin' when we go back to the Outer Banks this summer that I'm gonna get one of those big bags of peaches they sell by the side of the road and crank this one out again...and again....and again....

mudbug said:
I'm thinkin' when we go back to the Outer Banks this summer that I'm gonna get one of those big bags of peaches they sell by the side of the road and crank this one out again...and again....and again....

It's really hard to get ripe juicy peaches areound here. They're usually hard as a rock. If I could, I'd mkae this recipe with peaches, too.

How about bartlett pears?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom