What to do with fresh pears?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Regrettfully, I have no recipes! Brings back fond memories from growing up on a farm and plucking pears straight off the tree and taking a huge bite, juice dribblin' down my chin!!! Enjoy your pears! What a simple delight!!!

Cherry,
here is the pear bread..It does freeze well, I've even mailed it to a friend and it came through with flying colors.
3-eggs
1-cup veggie oil
2-3 pears grated to equal 2 cups
1-1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tea. fresh grated lemon zest
1-tea. vanilla
2-c. a/p flour,unsifted
1/4 tea. baking powder
1/4-tea. baking soda
1/2-tea. cinnamon
2/3-cup chopped walnuts
preheat oven to 325. Beat eggs,and slowly beat in the oil. Add pears,sugar,zest, and vanilla.Now sift the dry ingredients and add to pear mix, stir just to moisten. Stir in walnuts and pour into butter and floured 8 inch loaf pans. Bake about 55 min or til toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean..cool on racks after removing from pans.
Makes 2-8 inch loaves.
Enjoy,
kadesma

Last edited:
shannon in KS said:
Regrettfully, I have no recipes! Brings back fond memories from growing up on a farm and plucking pears straight off the tree and taking a huge bite, juice dribblin' down my chin!!! Enjoy your pears! What a simple delight!!!

Shannon, that is undoubtedly the BEST way to enjoy a ripe fresh pear!!:)

I like to slice them fairly thick and saute them in butter and brown sugar, cinnamon, little nutmeg and have them warm over ice cream or on pancakes. like a applepie filling. If you like to can I would can them for later use.

I looked up a couple of recipes for the poached pears, and the wines recommended were Zinfadel or any dry red wine.

I have a friend in Mississippi who has pear trees, and she makes a delicious pear butter. She also has a fig tree, and last time we visited, the figs were ripe. It was the first time I'd ever had fresh figs, and they were divine!

My first husband was a Cajun, and his grandma had a pear tree in her yard that had huge brown pears, very round in shape with just a tiny neck. I've never seen them in the grocery stores, so they may not ship well, but the flavor of the sweet ripe pear (with juice dripping down my chin, Shannon) is a fond memory.

Could the brown pear be a Seckel?

Did you know that pears are in the rose family?

I have an asian pear tree in my new back yard - I can't wait till it fruits!

shannon in KS said:
I agree! I will have to pass this along to my Mom! :)
You're welcome Cherry and Shannon,
I love this bread, It is wonderful with a cup of tea or coffee. I used it once for a baby shower, just made a cream cheese frosting and iced then sliced yummy and it looked so pretty..
enjoy,
kadesma:)

One year someone sent us a case, yes a case, of pears at Christmas.

Now there are two of us here, and yeah, we like pears, but a case?

Pear pies, pear cobbler, pears to the neighbors, 'Please take some more', you name it.

With five pears could always poach them in wine, just Google for a recipe, or you probably have enough for a cobbler.

Don't think I have had a pear since.

Mmm...I've always wondered what to do with pears besides slicing them for my toddler. I can't wait to make the pear/almond tart. Thanks for all of these great recipes.

Back
Top Bottom