What's the Best Fruit You've Ever Eaten?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biljriv

Assistant Cook
Theres so much good fruit in the world to eat.I'm looking to broaden my horizon in the world of fruit.

What's the Best Fruit You've Ever Eaten?

The best fruit

I live in western Colorado in Grand Junction and we have a great number of
farmers markets and last year I discovered Isralie melons at the market
some times they go by middle eastern melons as some won't touch jewish???
but they are the best melon I have ever tasted. Natural sweet juicy
Good luck tracking them down as I have been all over the world and here is the only place I have found them :chef:

you found jewish melons in colorado?

i'm not touching that one. :cool:

sorry, can't help it.

how did you know the were jewish, was the vine, umm, trimmed?

fruit is always best, as the saying goes, fresh and local. (i wish i lived where mangos, grapefruit, limes, and bananas grew.)

but for us in joisey and new york, july thru september is the fruit season. i could never pick just one fruit at this time; forgive the pun.

starting in midsummer, my raspberries provide a daily dose of sweetness, and those little seeds you get to munch a few minutes later as your tongue finds them in your teeth.

then we go picking at a few farms/orchards in mid-summer for peaches and plums. you haven't had a peach or plum unless you've worn some juice in a stripe from your chin to your shorts. you start to do that "ripe fruit stoop", if ya know what i mean.

then, the weather cools, and it's apple season in ny state. apples of every shape, size, color, texture, tartness, and sweetness are available. you gorge yourself on them, eating almost as many as you stuff into your bag, it seems.
then you pay your king's ransom these day to lug home more apples than naploeon could fit in a bottle.

so those are my faves, by default of location.

Last edited:
It is a goog question for a guy like me from the tropics. We have lot of various fruits available here.Best fruit I ever had is mango from an orchard.

Last edited:
Passionfruit for me. Easy to get at, the most amazing perfume, my mouth goes funny just thinking about eating one, they are versatile ( I read recipes for meat sauces with them) and you always know when they are ripe as they are on the ground under the vine, or in a shop feel heavy/full or have wrinkly skin. Curd, frosting,and icecream my favourite uses.
Yep. Passionfruit.:)

Have you ever tried passion fruit mousse? It is so easy to prepare and delicious. The way I prepare it:
1 can sweetened condensed milk​
1 can light whipping cream
1 cup of passion fruit juice

Blend all ingredients for 10 minutes.
Pour the mousse into individual containers or into a large bowl. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

Has anyone tried a fruit called durian? I've never had it but have heard others rave about it. It is suppose to have a funny smell on the outside but when you get inside it is said to have a texture and taste like pudding, sweet and creamy. I think they can be purchased in Asian stores.

Cherries for sure, I agree with the Mango too, those are great!

also a friut I love is Cucumber, gimme a cuc and pot of salt and I`m happy.

on a hot summer day, cool juicy watermelon is sheer ambrosia! But a ripe white peach is perfection. and in the fall it's crisp tart apples...fuji and braeburn my faves.

Cherries in July, along with blueberries. Watermelon, canteloupe and honeydew. Golden pineapples. Purple plums. Nectarines and peaches. Golden and Gala apples. Bosc Pears. Mango, Mango, Mango.

You didn't really mean I had to pick just one, did you???????

VB you disappoint me I thought you were going to say "Forbidden"
I`ve just lost a Fiver now!

Green Lady said:
Has anyone tried a fruit called durian? I've never had it but have heard others rave about it. It is suppose to have a funny smell on the outside but when you get inside it is said to have a texture and taste like pudding, sweet and creamy. I think they can be purchased in Asian stores.

Durian is good. It's flavor is hard to describe because it doesn't taste like any other fruit. To say it has a funny smell is an understatement. It freakin' reeks.

Probably the most unique to me and very tasty was the lychee "nut", which I think is actually a fruit. I love almost every fruit so it would be hard to say my favorite, though I don't care for mangos at all.

buckytom said:
how did you know the were jewish,?

The melons were wearing yarmulkes!

Asian pears are an outstanding fruit, especially the ones that are about the size of a saoftball. No only can you just eat them raw right off the tree, but you can use them to replace either apples or pears in any recipe.

Fresh lychee (the kind you have to peel to get to, not out of the can) and fresh watermelon that was "juiced". Passionfruit is DEVINE!

Back
Top Bottom