94% Vodka and cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timothycmoore

Assistant Cook
Hi folks,

This is my first post and I appreciate any assistance you may provide. My Polish fiance wants to cook some Polish recipes (not sure exactly what) and she says she needs 94% Vodka. In my research, I can only find something called EverClear that may meet this need. Does anyone know of another kind or maybe a substitute? I am in Virginia and I am not sure that something that is 190+ proof is even sold here. Thanks.

94 proof vodka, would be top shelf cask strength...almost 50%. 94% is called grain alcohol in this country. Everclear. Keep it away from open flames.

Thanks so much. There is slight langauge barrier sometimes with her since she is Polish and I am American speaking English. I will double-check to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

94% and 94 proof are two different things. Like both of you mentioned, 94% is generally something like Everclear which is grain alcohol. It is actually not a vodka.

What is it that she is making that she needs that?

Welcome to the forum!

timothycmoore, alcoholic drinks with extremely high alcoholic content (eg. over 50% by volume that is 100 proof) are illegal in most countries. The reason for this is that drinking alcohol in such high concentration is very hazardous to one's health due to the alcohol's tendency to extract water to dilute itself from whatever substance it comes in contact with. So, chances are that you will not be able to find a branded alcoholic drink with the content you want. The best alternative is what Robo suggested. Please use it as the Polish would do and do not be tempted to drink it straight to see what it tastes like.

Most likely, you should be able to carry out your recipe using ordinary Vodka and adjusting the amount so as to get the required quantity of alcohol. The ratio of ordinary vodka to Polish vodka to use should be approximately 2 to 1.

boufa06 said:
timothycmoore, alcoholic drinks with extremely high alcoholic content (eg. over 50% by volume that is 100 proof) are illegal in most countries.
While that may be true (I do not know one way or the other) I do know that the law varies state to state in the US. Most states I have been in regularly sell 151 rum, which is much higher that 100 proof. Also Everclear is almost 200 proof and is sold in some states.

GB said:
While that may be true (I do not know one way or the other) I do know that the law varies state to state in the US. Most states I have been in regularly sell 151 rum, which is much higher that 100 proof. Also Everclear is almost 200 proof and is sold in some states.
GB, it is most likely that the highest permissivable alcoholic content of any alcoholic drinks would be the same for every state as it should be logically a matter regulated by the FDA (IMO). 200 proof is equivalent to 100%, which no matter how the percentage is measured (by volume or by weight) amounts to pure alcohol. If anyone would drink this for any reason, the consequences would be dire. Is it possible that the very high alcoholic content concoctions are not meant for human consumption but for some other use?

I have never seen 200 proof sold, but I have seen and have bought Everclear grain alcohol which is clearly produced for consumption. Everclear is 190 proof and is only legal in some states. For instance, it is not legal in MA, but it is legal in NH.

Trust me, the consequences of drinking this stuff is not dire. In my younger days (in college) we used to drink it all the time. I know many many many people who have done the same. As with any alcohol, you just need to drink responsibly. A small amount of grain alcohol goes a long way. You would not be taking shots of this stuff.

Here is some more info on it.

GB said:
I have never seen 200 proof sold, but I have seen and have bought Everclear grain alcohol which is clearly produced for consumption. Everclear is 190 proof and is only legal in some states. For instance, it is not legal in MA, but it is legal in NH.

Trust me, the consequences of drinking this stuff is not dire. In my younger days (in college) we used to drink it all the time. I know many many many people who have done the same. As with any alcohol, you just need to drink responsibly. A small amount of grain alcohol goes a long way. You would not be taking shots of this stuff.
Dear God, GB! You must be quite a drinker! And I thought that, despite my background, I wasn't doing too bad myself! At least I know now what drink to offer you should you come around one of these days. Cheers!:LOL:

Further to your next to last post, we do have a bottle of a drink called Arbsinth I believe which comes from the Czech Republic if memory serves me right. Its alcoholic content is about 75 -80%. However, when you drink it, you are supposed to light it up. It burns with a nice blue flame on the surface. You are supposed to drink it when the flame goes off. By that time, its alcoholic content is greatly reduced and therefore it is much safer to drink. The bottle does carry a warning about drinking it neat.

Oh don't get me wrong boufa06. Those days are long in my past. You would not catch me drinking anything like that anymore.

If your fiance is actually cooking the recipe, ie. bringing the temperature to boiling, most of the alcohol will boil off anyway. I would use polish vodka as a flavor element.

Years ago, I had fishing buddies who would make glogg for the trip using Everclear and a bunch of other ingredients. Any new guys in the bunch would have the task of heating the glogg, while the others in the next room would wait for the whoosh as it caught fire with wet towels. Funny, as long as the new guy didn't panic and knock it of the stove!

By the way, distilling ethanol to 100% (anhydrous) is extremely expensive, as the alcohol will actually absorb the humidity out of the air, if exposed. 94-95% used to cost around half as much, in industrial applications, for this reason.

Walt Bulander said:
If your fiance is actually cooking the recipe, ie. bringing the temperature to boiling, most of the alcohol will boil off anyway.
This is actually a common misconception. It all depends on cooking method and length of cooking as to how much alcohol will cook off. You would be surprised at how much actually remains. See this chart for a breakdown.

Thanks to all

I believe I can convince her to try some "standard" vodka perhaps in slightly higher quantities than the recipe calls for. Experimentation can be great fun and I am looking forward to it. Thanks again to each of you.

There are only a few reasons to use alcohol in a recipe. One reason is for the flavor of the alcohol itself. Something like Grand Marnier or Kaluah come to mind. Those alcohols have very definite flavors that will add to a dish.

The other reason to use alcohol is to extract alcohol soluble flavors from something. Flavors are either water soluble, fat soluble, or alcohol soluble. There is a flavor component in tomatoes for instance that you will only taste in the presence of alcohol. That is why dish like pasta ala vodka works. In dishes like that you usually want the alcohol to have as little flavor as possible. This is why vodka is usually used. My guess is that using a standard vodka will work for what your fiance is looking for.

Make sure to let us know how it turned out.

Further to your next to last post, we do have a bottle of a drink called Arbsinth I believe which comes from the Czech Republic if memory serves me right. Its alcoholic content is about 75 -80%. However, when you drink it, you are supposed to light it up. It burns with a nice blue flame on the surface. You are supposed to drink it when the flame goes off. By that time, its alcoholic content is greatly reduced and therefore it is much safer to drink. The bottle does carry a warning about drinking it neat.[/quote]

Hey Boufo I believe that actually comes Sweden or one of the Northern European countries. It has an extract (woodruff ?) which gives it a hallucigenic effect supposedly and is illegal in the USA. It is very bitter in flavor, bright green in color and yes there is a pouring procedure that involves sugar and fire. It's nick name is the Little Green Fairy, or something like that.

JDP

GB said:

200 proof alcohol is, under normal real world distilation techniques, impossible.

While it it true that alcohol boils before water, as the distilation boil goes longer (or warmer) an "all for one" phenomenon occurs where the water goes with the alcohol up the distillation column. As a result, 190 proof is about the highest you can get. (And trust me, it's plenty high enough!)

Not that I uh, have any books or anything on this stuff.... :angel:

John

Never tried Everclear, but I do know that people drink it as I have seen people bring it back from other states and put it away. I have had Bacardi 151 in some drinks before. It typically comes in frozen drinks around here. They use regular rum in the drink, and then insert a long glass tube filled with 151 in the center.

JDP said:
Hey Boufo I believe that actually comes Sweden or one of the Northern European countries. It has an extract (woodruff ?) which gives it a hallucigenic effect supposedly and is illegal in the USA. It is very bitter in flavor, bright green in color and yes there is a pouring procedure that involves sugar and fire. It's nick name is the Little Green Fairy, or something like that.
JDP
JDP, regardless of the country of origin, what I wanted to draw attention to is the fact that due to its high alcoholic content, the drink is not recommended for consumption neat but is supposed to be treated in such a way as to reduce its alcoholic content greatly before it's finally consumed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom