Adding salt to roasts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acc2020

Assistant Cook
A question about roasting meat such as turkey , chicken , lamb and beef.Most recipes tell you to season your meat prior to roasting them by adding salt ,pepper ,butter ,herbs etc.

Except for adding flavour to the skin / outer surface is there any other benefit from seasoning your roasts? In my opinion seasoning the outside does nothing for the meat. If your slice of beef is the size of half your plate you will not taste any other flavour only the beef.

The question is , is it pointless seaoning the outside of your meat with the intension of inparting that flavour into the meat.

Opinions please.

Being that we use only Kosher meat, I figure it's got enough residual salt. I never add any extra.

I always dry rub my prime rib with salt. I then let it sit on a rack in a hotel pan on the bottom shelf of a refrigerator, loosely covered with plastic wrap. The prime rib is refrigerated for at least three days but not more than seven.

This technique basically helps to dry age the meat. Aging allows natural enzymes to break down some of the protein which will make the meat more tender. In addition to helping inhibit the growth of bacteria, the salt draws out impurities from the meat. During this time, the meat will also lose 10-15% of its weight ... but the trade off is that you will get a much more tender product than you would if you cooked the beef right after buying it.

Back
Top Bottom