Beginner's tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arky

Senior Cook
Here are three different types of tips & hints for beginners that I wish I had when I started:

1. I purchased a Wilton offset icing spreader knife from the wedding cake section of Wal-Mart (about $4.00) and use it exclusively to spread such items as mayonnaise, mustard, and peanut butter. Rather than use an ordinary table knife, which can be difficult, particularly when nearing the bottom of the jar, and messy, the icing spreader has a longer blade and handle and a broadly rounded tip, making scraping out the final bit a lot easier. And the offset blade makes spreading a snap. I find that I use it daily.

2. To turn an ordinary pork chop into something different; When turned onto the final side of frying or baking, sprinkle a tablespoon of Parmesan or other shredded firm and salty cheese onto each chop. It adds a whole new dimension to pork!

3. The secret to making superior pie crusts or making batters of all kinds, from pancake to tempura, is to use non-chlorinated ice cold water.

4. Have fun!

I purchased a Wilton offset icing spreader knife from the wedding cake section of Wal-Mart (about $4.00) and use it exclusively to spread such items as mayonnaise, mustard, and peanut butter. Rather than use an ordinary table knife, which can be difficult, particularly when nearing the bottom of the jar, and messy, the icing spreader has a longer blade and handle and a broadly rounded tip, making scraping out the final bit a lot easier. And the offset blade makes spreading a snap. I find that I use it daily.

Aside from icing things, I also use my offset spreader for all the things you mention. One thing, though, that I use it for all the time? As a "helper" when turning delicate items in a saute. The offset spatula is perfect for using on the top of the food to keep it with the main spatula. Less splatter, more control, room for both hands.

... The offset spatula is perfect for using on the top of the food to keep it with the main spatula. Less splatter, more control, room for both hands.

I use a finger or two on the top side of the item. It's not hot yet.

Think 10" piece of whitefish.

And I can see using that technique whenever I fry and flip over slippery cornmeal mush in a pan of sizzling grease... the further away my hand is, the better!

Back
Top Bottom