Blade Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I bought a couple of blade steaks last week and am not sure how to use them. I've never had them before. Any ideas?

Top blade steak would be flat iron steak. Blade comes from the chuck which is the front shoulder area. Generally a tough cut of meat with lots of flavor. Best to braise or pot roast. Although, if you cut the line of gristle out of the center it also grinds nicely for ground beef dishes. Essentially - ground chuck.
If you pot roast, or braise, be sure to cut across the grain when serving/eating to cut the gristle line into small parts that can easily be removed.

Why don't you do it up like Swiss Steak? Flour it, braise in onions, garlic, mushrooms, beef stock and a bay leafe, thyme, and a bit of beer or wine....I would go on a low simmer for two hours in a covered pan, or in the oven in a dutch oven.....Serve with mashed potatos or egg noodles...

Blade steaks and flat iron steaks are cut differently from the same piece of chuck.

If you cut steaks across the grain, you get blade steaks with a line of gristle through the center of each steak.

If you cut with the grain, along the top and under sides of the gristle (basically trimming out the gristle), you get flat iron steaks.

So, what is it you guys south of the border get when you buy "chuck"?

I never see chuck here, but I see blade steaks and blade roasts all the time.

So, what is it you guys south of the border get when you buy "chuck"?

I never see chuck here, but I see blade steaks and blade roasts all the time.

My supermarket carries, boneless and bone-in chuck steaks and roasts (not the same part of the chuck as blade steak) and blade steaks. I don't see flatiron steaks. Some chuck steaks are also called seven bone steaks due to the shape of the cross section of the shoulder blade.

Blade steaks and flat iron steaks are cut differently from the same piece of chuck.

If you cut steaks across the grain, you get blade steaks with a line of gristle through the center of each steak.

If you cut with the grain, along the top and under sides of the gristle (basically trimming out the gristle), you get flat iron steaks.

According to my butcher, a well marbled blade steak, due to its proximity to the rib steak, is the 2nd most tender cut of meat on the carcass. I have pan fried this steak as I would a good rib steak, and also grilled it over direct heat. It has more flavor than does the rib meat, and is nearly as tender. I have not had a bad blade steak, also called a petite steak where I live. Just make sure it is well marbled. And when I plate it, I cut out the center line of gristle before serving it.

No need to braise that hunk of meat. It's far better cooked like a good steak.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I never had a cut of blade steak but have done flat iron steaks. I do them hot and fast either over direct charcoal or on stove top cast iron. After resting I slice them thin to serve.

I never had a cut of blade steak but have done flat iron steaks. I do them hot and fast either over direct charcoal or on stove top cast iron. After resting I slice them thin to serve.

Right on!;)

i cut blade steaks up into cubes for a stir fry (to make steak kew).

marinate them in red wine, ginger, scallions, soy sauce,and garlic.

heat oil in a wok, quickly sear the blade cubes, then set aside. to the wok add baby bok choy, pearl onions, whole baby straw mushrooms and/or shiitake cap halves, soy sauce, garlic, and butter.

stir fry for a minute or two, then add red wine and the beef cubes. simmer for a mnute, add corn starch slurry to thicken the sauce. toss to coat, serve alongside white rice.

Standing Ovation!!!! :clap:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Cooking methods for the Blade Steak:

The Russian Race Horse Method (Fast & Furious) (Hot) See Goodweeds post

The Swissing method. (Some folks here call it "Graving it down") See RockLobster's Post. ~~ I prefer over rice...but over/with smashed tators or noodles works. ~~ A Pan of Hot Biscuits on the side works too :yum:

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I've only been able to get flat irons in the past few years and they're a big hit here. Grilled quickly after your favorite marinade. But I do use them in a lot of stir fries, stroganof, and steak sandwiches, always carefully and thinly cut.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom