Blade Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I picked up some blade steaks the other day for a cheap tasty steak meal. They are small and only about /1/2" to 3/4" thick. I'll be cooking several. This is a cut from the top of the chuck close to the ribs. The line of gristle down the middle is a turnoff to many so it's not a real popular cut.

I will either grill them if it's not raining or pan fry them if it is.

What do you guys do with this cut??

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 742
Pan fried quickly in a screaming hot pan, with eggs and homefries for breakfast.

Marinated in olive oil and garlic etc and toss on the grill.

mine never come out good. I have a friend who loves them, I don't know why. I've tried many things but nothing works for me. :(

I posted a marinade a while back which I used on that tri-tip. Would work great with the blade steak.

Never had one! Please post the results! I can't cook a London Broil to save my life and don't really enjoy them either. Hope these aren't like that.

I picked up some blade steaks the other day for a cheap tasty steak meal. They are small and only about /1/2" to 3/4" thick. I'll be cooking several. This is a cut from the top of the chuck close to the ribs. The line of gristle down the middle is a turnoff to many so it's not a real popular cut.

I will either grill them if it's not raining or pan fry them if it is.

What do you guys do with this cut??

I've never had them. In fact I never noticed them! (Duh!) They look like they might be good in stir frys, just cut the gristle out of the middle, then cut into bite sizes.

I'll look for them at the market. One thing, if they're cheap now don't expect them to continue to be cheap. It seems to me that whenever meats are cheap people are attracted to them, find good ways to cook them, demand rises and soon or later they're expensive. I remember when chicken livers were cheap, cheep, cheap! :) Nobody wanted them. At least then they didn't.

I fired up my CI skillet super hot and put in the salted and peppered steaks. Nice sear on side one, turn and sear on side two. They were fairly thin so they cooked in just a few minutes. We ended up with rare-med. rare steaks.

Aside from the effort of trimming gristle off the edges and cutting the strip of gristle out of the middle, the taste was OK but noticeably different from a strip or ribeye. Not awful, just different. It wasn't as tender but not objectionably tough either. SO's comment was that she'd pay the extra for the good stuff. I agree and next time I will let her pay.

These would probably be really good in a braise as Uncle Bob suggested or trimmed and cut up for a stir-fry. I most often use flank for stir-fry. Not sure which is cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom