Can cedar planks be used in the oven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I've seen a number of recipes for cedar plank salmon that say that you can also do it in the oven. Is this a wise thing to do? Wouldn't the smoke cause a problem in the oven?

the directions on ours said you could. since they burned up on the grill, i'll never know ....

See, that is my concern exactly. Is it a good idea to have something burn up in your oven?

oh, i soaked them all right. directions said 2-3 hours; we soaked them for FIVE. biggest bunch a smoke you ever saw ...

Cedar planks in an over would probably be safe - but mostly ineffective. The flavor comes from the cedar being heated up to the point that the resin in the wood begins to melt and contribute to the smoke - and the flavor really comes from the smoke. That is why the cedar planks are soaked in water - to produce smoke and reduce burning (like soaking hickory wood chips to use for smoking something) when used over a bed of coals on a grill/campfire.

You can achieve a similar result if you have access to some red cedar to build your fire ... the cedar provides a "sweetness" to the smoke that you will not get from other resinous woods - like pine (which IMHO is just nasty).

I also like to marinate a piece of cow like a round steak in peach/apricot/blackberry brandy or bourbon ... then cook over a bed or red cedar coals ... so sweet it almost hurts your teeth.

I shoved my plank in this tiny kiln last night. It barely fit. Fish turned out good. :mrgreen:

img_669493_0_cd49a9a2f8f6d12aa782009ab0df41c5.jpg

Yes, I have Planked in the Oven

I soaked my cedar planks for about 2 hours. My oven was already preheated to 450F. I brushed them with a little olive oil and placed my stuffed salmon fillets on top. after about 7 minutes I checked them I had smoke. Not too much, I simply opened the balcony and cracked the oven every couple of minutes. After about 4 more minutes I reduced the heat to 300F added my garlic bread. Soon I had a wonderful dinner:cool: I had the cedar planks that are still shaped like the natural tree and we ate right off of them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom