Carmelizing Onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

summerf

Assistant Cook
Hi, I am new to this site and I must say I could spend all day on all the information and recipes. I would like to know how to carmelize onions and any recipes that would use them.
Thanks.
Summerf:rolleyes:

The first thing that comes to mind is French onion soup. I don't have the whole soup recipe here, but here's how to caramelize onions: Heat some olive oil in a pan over medium heat, put in 2-3 thinly sliced onions, turn heat to low, and let cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, till nice and browned. I think you can do them in a crockpot, too.

You could also use them in a risotto. HTH.

Hi, to caramelize onions, u do not always need to add oil, i dont! I just a heavy bottomed non stick pan, and put the sliced onions in it, and let them cook on their own at medium heat, stirring them every now and then, till they are nicely caramelized.
However, if you wish, you can even add 1 or 2 tsps of oil to it.
One dish of caramelized onions tat i love is chicken in creamy mushroom sauce. Sounds delicious isnt it?!
I caramelize onions, then add 1 tbsp of oil to it, throw in a few sliced Portabella mushrooms, then pour the heavy cream and lil salt. Let it come to boil. In the meantimes, bake/grill chicken breasts marinated in black pepper and salt till done.
Serve on a platter with a bed of steamed vegetables on the base, the chicken breast, then pour the sauce over it.
Have it with garlic bread, if you like.
Note:I will post its recipe with picture next-next week on my blog, but i tell you its a very yummy dish..

I second redkitty's feelings about caramelized onions. I sometimes use olive oil, sometimes use butter, sometimes nothing, depending on what I'm making it for. I've served them plain with steak, meatloaf, for burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, and chicken (hmm, I'm sure there are other meats but I just can't remember at the moment).

One of my favorite dishes is potato and onions. Boiled red potatoes, quartered; caramalized onions in olive oil, toss together, some salt and pepper. This is one of the sides I usually serve with a standing rib roast and with turkey.

I've also caramelized onions and sauteed with various mushrooms. Love mushrooms, too. Dang, now I'm hungry.

BTW, welcome to the forum! I'm pretty new here too and have spent a lot of of time on the forums!

i get my favorite non-stick skillet very hot, throw in just a little butter-like a tablespoon, let it foam up...

when the foaming stops, i throw in the onions and leave them alone. once they carmelize, i usually stir them just a little and crank up the heat.

then, i quickly remove the pan from the heat. this is all done very quick over med high to high heat.

I make a caramelised red onion jam that is just so simple and tastes great with cheeses and cold meats or even as a condiment for a steak sandwich.

Dice red onions place in sturdy saucepan, turn on air extractor, pour in sufficient quantity of balsamic vinegar (should be of decent quality but doesn't need to be the best going) to cover the your onion. Boil until liquid reduced, and then simmer until onion cooked and takes on a jam like consistency. Allow to cool and bottle in sterilised jars. Will keep for months in cupboard and even longer in fridge.

Love carmelized onions on all kinds of sandwiches, but best in French Onion soup. DW makes it on occasion for me using red onions.

summerf,
I prepare something very similar to what Bilby described but using shallots, white balsamic vinegar (to keep the color clear) and a bit of honey.

I personally can't stand raw onions, so I cook them or caramelize before using.

i have a killer onion soup recipe. use sweet onions. little butter in large pan and sliced onion,thin,this recipe says low and slow to caramalize the onions. give a depth of flavor that is really really excellent. serve with corn bread.

babe

:) I also adore caramelized onions for anything I love them in French Onion Soup, Lyonaise Sauce and on about anything else pizza,potatoes, pizza, sandwhiches etc. The trick is to cook them long enough almost to the point of burning and then deglaze to get the last bit of flavor. You can oven roast them as well to get that great taste.

i have a killer onion soup recipe. use sweet onions. little butter in large pan and sliced onion,thin,this recipe says low and slow to caramalize the onions. give a depth of flavor that is really really excellent. serve with corn bread.

babe
:) You are so right low and slow as at first you need to let the onions evaporate the moisture before they can bring out the natural sugar so they can brown. Cooking them low allows them to caramel evenly don't be afraid to stir them when they are browning to get them cooked evenly.

I make a caramelised red onion jam that is just so simple and tastes great with cheeses and cold meats or even as a condiment for a steak sandwich.

Dice red onions place in sturdy saucepan, turn on air extractor, pour in sufficient quantity of balsamic vinegar (should be of decent quality but doesn't need to be the best going) to cover the your onion. Boil until liquid reduced, and then simmer until onion cooked and takes on a jam like consistency. Allow to cool and bottle in sterilised jars. Will keep for months in cupboard and even longer in fridge.

Thanks for your recipe. There is a restaurant here in Isla Mujeres named CoMoNo owned by a couple from Israel. They make an onion marmalade...carmelized onions with balsamic & red wine. It is delicious on bread with lebaneh or goat cheese and also delicious smothered on chicken breasts. I just love it. I'll have to try your version.

I also love carmelized onions on pizza & paninis.

Air extractor??

We love caramelized onions with all kinds of meats and vegies.

Slice two large onions in rings or strips about 1/4" wide. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter in a saute pan until butter is melted. Add onions, all at once...they should be heaped up in the pan.
Let them cook over medium/high heat, flipping with tongs once in a while, until they start to cook down. Add salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar. Cook on medium, stirring only occasionally, until onions are soft and golden, with some dark edges.
At no time should you cover the pan.

Yea, I did a Google search and came up with Kitchen Hoods. So I guess its purpose is just to vent the steam and odor?

Clienta, you may also want to try cranberry and caramelised red onion chutney. Got served that in a restaurant with duck pate. Yummy!!!!

Bilby...that sounds delicious! I love cranberry with pates & terrines. I will have to make some of that chutney! Thanks for the idea.

I made the carmelized balsamic red onions today & served it with goat cheese on crackers....very tasty.

Back
Top Bottom