Cooking terms for the layman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Does someone have a link they could share explaining cooking terms in an easily explained way? Or perhaps take a whack at explaining them yourself?

The scenario: I have a recipe that calls for a shredded head of cabbage. I'm not exactly sure what "shredded" is..... Is it like the lettuce on a big mac, or a taco from taco bell? Is it finer, like a purchased bag of coleslaw? Is there a difference between shredding a head of cabbage and slicing one?

Where does something chopped become something diced? What is the difference? Does perhaps one use a knife and ther other a machine of sorts (food processor, mandolin)?

Fold, incorporate, stir, whisk..... I think I have a handle on those. I guess I'm looking more for cutting techniques and perhaps when one would forego the knife and reach for a different cooking tool or appliance to get the desired results.

Seems I remember a RR recipe calling for shredded potatoes where she accomplished this by rubbing the spud on a cheese grater. I don't think that would work very well for a head of cabbage....

Can someone clear part of my confusion? :wacko:

I was going to mention, there are online 'food dictionary' sites. Just type in those words, pick a site and ask your question. Epicurious is a good one.

OK, so minced is smaller than chopped. And diced is 1/8-1/4" pieces... does that mean minced food falls inbetween chopped and diced? I always thought minced was the smallest, but that food dictionary site doesn't really say where it falls...

And I take it that shredded merely means narrow strips. Does that mean there are different degrees of shredded, like my examples. Coleslaw is shredded, big mac lettuce is shredded, one is just shredded a lot more?

OK, so minced is smaller than chopped. And diced is 1/8-1/4" pieces... does that mean minced food falls inbetween chopped and diced? I always thought minced was the smallest, but that food dictionary site doesn't really say where it falls...

And I take it that shredded merely means narrow strips. Does that mean there are different degrees of shredded, like my examples. Coleslaw is shredded, big mac lettuce is shredded, one is just shredded a lot more?

You sound like a curious little imp:-p:LOL:

That is a cool link Stacy!

Pacanis - when I shred cabbage, I use a knife. I've tried it on my mandolin but I don't think I have enough skill to do thin things. And, actually, if you have a big enough cheese shredder or can cut your cabbage down to fit the width of what you have, shredding it on a cheese shredder works well. I'm not patient enough to cut it down and then shred so choose to do it by hand / knife. So ... First, I cut it into fourths and cut out the core at an angle (you'll see the core after you cut it in half and can get to it easier once it's in fourths). I don't cut out much, just the solid piece that you can see. Then I just cut strips the width I want. If I'm saute'ing, I cut them a little thicker (think 1/2 an inch). For 'slaw, I cut them narrower (think 1/4 inch). I don't think there is a hard / fast rule on width, just taste and preference for what you are making. I do think that when they ask for sliced cabbage, though, they mean a much thicker "slab" from the head (caution, I may be wrong!).

Hope that helps a little!

That is a cool link Stacy!

Pacanis - when I shred cabbage, I use a knife. I've tried it on my mandolin but I don't think I have enough skill to do thin things. And, actually, if you have a big enough cheese shredder or can cut your cabbage down to fit the width of what you have, shredding it on a cheese shredder works well. I'm not patient enough to cut it down and then shred so choose to do it by hand / knife. So ... First, I cut it into fourths and cut out the core at an angle (you'll see the core after you cut it in half and can get to it easier once it's in fourths). I don't cut out much, just the solid piece that you can see. Then I just cut strips the width I want. If I'm saute'ing, I cut them a little thicker (think 1/2 an inch). For 'slaw, I cut them narrower (think 1/4 inch). I don't think there is a hard / fast rule on width, just taste and preference for what you are making. I do think that when they ask for sliced cabbage, though, they mean a much thicker "slab" from the head (caution, I may be wrong!).

Hope that helps a little!

So some cooking actions are more subjective.... left up to the individual cook? One person's chopped may be another's shredded?

Oh, and I was going to try to remove the core the way I do for lettuce, by smashing the core down on the counter, then pulling it out. I'm not sure if that will work on cabbage yet, but I'll find out ;)

So some cooking actions are more subjective.... left up to the individual cook? One person's chopped may be another's shredded?

IMHO, yes. We tend to like a little thicker cabbage in 'slaw so I "shred" it thicker. My sister on the other hand likes her's like the lettuce on your Big Mac - THIN! I think if you are trying to match a recipe, try to match the width to what you have eaten before. If you are just following a recipe, cut it to match your tastes.

Oh, and I was going to try to remove the core the way I do for lettuce, by smashing the core down on the counter, then pulling it out. I'm not sure if that will work on cabbage yet, but I'll find out ;)

I don't think it will work because cabbage is so much more dense than lettuce and you may end up just bruising your cabbage (or your hand or your counter). However, I am never one to squash a good try ... let me know if it works!

for some strange reason I just remembered someone mentioning banging brown sugar on the counter to try to break it up:angel:
good way to take out your aggression:LOL:

When some cooks say to get out of the kitchen, they mean it!
:LOL:

Seriously, it works great on a head of lettuce.

You'll break something (but not the cabbage core) by banging it like lettuce. When I was a prep cook, many years ago, slaw was thin (1/8") sliced; sliced cabbage for saute was 1/4" - 1/2". I "shave" the cabbage with a large Chef's knife for the most effective slaw cut. Just watch the fingers!
Chopping, dicing, mincing: from coarsest to finest: chopping 1/2" or more. 1/4" for dice - 1/8" and even finer for minced. It is subjective; up to the cook.

for some strange reason I just remembered someone mentioning banging brown sugar on the counter to try to break it up:angel:
good way to take out your aggression:LOL:

So is pounding some cutlets for scallopini. However, I wouldn't recommend doing that if you are really concern about the quality of the product. "Heavy" frustration relief can reduce the cutlets in question to something that reassembles Swiss cheese, just full of holes.

This is all from personal experience, as well.

The latest CON here in California is "grass fed" Beef. As any midwesterner can tell you, the best beef is finished on grain, Corn especially. Grass fed beef tastes like GRASS! It's much cheaper for the beef producer to let the steers stay in pasture, eating "prairie" hay than it is to take them to the feed lot for grain finishing.

The latest CON here in California is "grass fed" Beef. As any midwesterner can tell you, the best beef is finished on grain, Corn especially. Grass fed beef tastes like GRASS! It's much cheaper for the beef producer to let the steers stay in pasture, eating "prairie" hay than it is to take them to the feed lot for grain finishing.

How did we go from shredding cabbage to midwestern beef? Did I doze off and miss something? :LOL:

lol, my piece of marble just happens to be the color of the one in the video. I'm hoping it will improve my no knead dough :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom