Does Searing Meat Really Lock in Juices? Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I cringed when I first saw the post because I thought it was going to say the opposite.

I cringed when I first saw the post because I thought it was going to say the opposite.

:LOL:

I subscribe to SciShow's YouTube channel, so I get notifications by email of new videos. I had the same reaction when I saw the subject line on the email notification.

I'm a newb when it comes to daring to fry a steak in a CSI. I'm concerned it won't cook up as good as broiling or BBQ'ing. I broil or BBQ them. Also, don't you have to have a pretty thick steak to warrant searing it in the first place before putting it in the oven to finish?

I can probably cook up a delicious thin steak in my CSI if I do it just right. I simply can't afford thicker $8 steaks on a regular basis to experiment. :LOL:

Last edited:
I'm a newb when it comes to daring to fry a steak in a CSI. I'm concerned it won't cook up as good as broiling or BBQ'ing. I broil or BBQ them. Also, don't you have to have a pretty thick steak to warrant searing it in the first place before putting it in the oven to finish?

I can probably cook up a delicious thin steak in my CSI if I do it just right. I simply can't afford thicker $8 steaks on a regular basis to experiment. :LOL:

I don't bother finishing steaks in the oven. I just fry 'em up on a stainless steel skillet, or sometimes on an enamelled cast iron pan. What is a "CSI"?

I don't bother finishing steaks in the oven. I just fry 'em up on a stainless steel skillet, or sometimes on an enamelled cast iron pan. What is a "CSI"?

You know what I mean. So...you've cooked up steaks in a CIS that rivals broiling or BBQ'ing.=? That's what's next for me to try to get good at. Maybe season it a little and some butter or oil? I'll dare to, I promise. I like the idea of how cooking a steak that way takes like...no time at all if you do it just right.

Last edited:
You know what I mean. So...you've cooked up steaks in a CIS that rivals broiling or BBQ'ing.=? That's what's next for me to try to get good at. Maybe season it a little and some butter or oil? I'll dare to, I promise. I like the idea of how cooking a steak that way takes like...no time at all if you do it just right.

I have never broiled a steak myself. I find it easier to control on a frying pan than on the grill. I even use the Thermapen most of the time to check the temperature. I seldom find a steak thick enough that putting it in the oven would seem like a good idea. I actually usually do steak on a stainless steel skillet, the kind with an aluminium bottom.

I’ve become a devotee of the reverse sear. I don’t wanna putz with sous vide, so I cook the steak in a slow oven until it’s just under the target temp, then sear it in a very hot CI pan.

That was a good, concise video on the real reason to sear meat.

Searing is for flavor... period.

I've cooked steaks pretty much every way a steak can be cooked. Sear first and grill, straight on the coals (caveman), sear in a scorching cast iron pan and finish in the oven, and sous vide followed by a sear.

I personally prefer to sous vide and do a flash sear at the end. Searing before you sous vide ruins the crust on your steak, although it still tastes good. For sous vide, I recommend waiting until the sous vide cooking is done. Then, dry the meat with a paper towel, and sear it on a grill or really hot pan.

Searing in a cast iron skillet does a great job, but be warned, it will smoke up your house. You will smell steak for a day or two, and you may set off a smoke alarm.

CD

I like reverse searing in the oven then sear in CI, or bbq. But resting the steak is key! Cover & rest for at least 5 min.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom