Easy Carrot Julienne

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Couple of things:

Cutting the carrot into a block before doing the julienne cuts lets you exclude the woody core of the carrot. Cutting on the bias will include the core, if there is one, and there usually is to some degree on a carrot of any size at all. Other cuts that include the core typically imply the carrot is there for flavoring only and will not be served with the finished dish.

Knife cuts aren't arbitrary or for looks only. The post was for those willing to look past the end of their own nose, learn something new, etc.

Cheers,

Charles

Wow, so that would include French trained chefs that look down their nose at us peons! I like my glazed carrots cut on the bias.:rolleyes:

Sorry you have such a chip on your shoulder.

Cored Carrot With a Peel - latimes
Hmm. .I've never bothered removing the core..I know it's not as nice as the flesh, but I guess I never had the time, or inkling..As a guy who makes two, two gallon pots of soup every day, six days a week, I couldn't imagine taking the time.

Interesting fact, none the less...

Hmm. .I've never bothered removing the core..I know it's not as nice as the flesh, but I guess I never had the time, or inkling..As a guy who makes two, two gallon pots of soup every day, six days a week, I couldn't imagine taking the time.

Interesting fact, none the less...

You wouldn't in a big pot of soup, but at the same time wouldn't want to use really large, older carrots that can almost be more core than carrot.

You wouldn't in a big pot of soup, but at the same time wouldn't want to use really large, older carrots that can almost be more core than carrot.
Many times I don't have a choice what size the carrots are..I just use what the distributor sends me..but, I do tend to cut the larger ones into smaller pieces so they will cook through quicker.
Food for thought..

If you're cutting the big ones anyway, might core some or most of them. If it's in a ginormous pot of soup still probably not. That said, it's the little things that elevate any dish.

I originally responded to the notion of cutting julienne on a biased-cut carrot. If done on a fairly large carrot this could result in a decent percentage of the julienne 'matchsticks' being nothing but woody core, and you don't want that. And this certainly isn't a notion peculiar only to French cuisine or French cooking techniques, though the French have given the names to these cuts and techniques that most in the Western world recognize. Again, not exclusive to western cuisine at all though.

Last edited:
If you're cutting the big ones anyway, might core some or most of them. If it's in a ginormous pot of soup still probably not.

I originally responded to the notion of cutting julienne on a biased-cut carrot. If done on a fairly large carrot this could result in a decent percentage of the julienne 'matchsticks' being nothing but woody core, and you don't want that.
Sure..I digressed....

A few won't hurt. I wouldn't flavor an entire pot of anything with nothing but old, woody carrots.

If you're blueprinting a saute', the garnish vegetables (the ones you'll eat) need to be the best you can lay your hands on. Those that gave their life to flavor the sauce and are strained out don't have to be quite as good, but they shouldn't be garbage either.

Lousy two cents...

Last edited:
Use a spiralizer. They'll be round instead of square but will all be the same size, plus that takes care of not using that pesky core that seems tobother some so much.

Back
Top Bottom