Exploding Spring Rolls...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrillingFool

Head Chef
I readily admit that I am not an accomplished fryer. I can get it done, but usually once out of every 3 or 4 times I get less than desirable results.

Case in point: Spring Rolls.

Made them a couple months ago, fried them up just fine.

Made them last night, most of them "exploded" at one end. They did this
soon after being gently laid into the oil. Wrappers were intact, not torn
open.

Same recipe....
Same wrapper brand....
Same oil type.... canola
Same temperature, using thermometer... put them in between 350-375.
Didn't overcrowd the pan.

I think this batch of veggie filling was a bit more juicy, but I tried to
drain most of the liquid before I filled the rolls. This does not mean they were swimming in liquid...
maybe there was 1/2 cup more "juice" in the bottom of the bowl.

Tips or thoughts on what I am doing wrong? TIA!

They exploded because of the liquid. The liquid inside turns to steam and has to get out. Go back to how you were making them with less "juicy" filling.

Not sure what was in the filling but yes liquid is the problem as Jennyema mentioned.

I like to use cooked meats as much as possible in the filling so that the liquid is already extracted from it and not releasing while you are frying the rolls.

I also like to drain my filling in a colander so that all the juices run out and the mixture gets dry before I use it in my spring rolls.

The ingredients that I use in my filling are chicken (cooked and shredded), green chilis and freshly chopped garlic and ginger and then sauteed cabbage, carrots, bell peppers and seasonings like chili sauce and soy sauce. Once I sautee and strain the filling is dry and is ready to go into my wrappers.

One more thing you may want to ensure you do is don't overstuff them and roll them as tightly as you can.

When using fresh vegetables in spring rolls, you want to shred/slice/chop them however you want, then you should season them at this point, and simply let the veggies sit in a bowl for about 15 mins. This not only season them, but the salt will draw out the moisture. Before you add you veggies to the rest of your filling ingredients, squeeze out as much water as possible using a colander.

Sounds like I needed to squeeze and drain the veggies. I precooked the meat
and even let the veggies sit after seasoning, although not from knowledge, just timing, LOL!

Thanks, all! I love this place. :)

Now, what's your favorite dipping sauce?

Glad to see you got the exploding spring rolls figured out! Here's my sauce for pot stickers and spring rolls:

1/3 cup soya sauce
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/3 cup sliced scallions
1 garlic clove, finely minced
a good nob of fresh ginger minced
2 tsp sesame oil
hot pepper flakes optional

I could drink the stuff! :)

Mae Ploy's Sweet Chili Sauce

Another One that I make:

1/4 cup of white vinegar
1 green chili super finely chopped or minced
2 cloves of garlic minced
3 tsps of sugar
pinch of salt
Mix it all together and let it sit for an hour before serving

Happy Eggroll Frying

So depends on the filling. Sometimes a sweet chilli is THE sauce, other times it's soy, or soy with chilli flakes. Then sweet and sour or plum sauces can really hit the spot. Beef rolls really respond well to Hoi Sin. And to go for an entirely different flavour, try some satay sauce. My mouth is now watering....

Back
Top Bottom