Favorite Hot Dog Cooking Technique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. On the grill - lightly charred. Served with mustard, ketchup, onions, pickled jalapeno rings or jalapeno relish.
2. On the cast grill pan or griddle, split lengthwise
3. Sliced into rounds and cooked with onions until onions are soft and hotdogs are slightly blackened. Add a can of pork and beans, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, etc.

Two hotdogs on the grill, in the broiler or in a fry pan, as long as their charred slightly. Then I slice them lengthwise, lay em' between two slices of toast with mustard and sauerkraut. Sometimes I leave out the kraut and use relish and a slice of american cheese instead.

I never knew there were so many ways to cook a hot dog. I think that is probably dh's favorite food but I don't buy them often. He sometimes embarrases me when we go to a good barbecue place and he orders franks and beans. When our kids were small I used to split the hotdog almost all the way through - so it was butterflied - top with mashed potatoes and cheese and they loved it. It got something besides a hotdog in their tummies too so I was happy with that.

I never knew there were so many ways to cook a hot dog. I think that is probably dh's favorite food but I don't buy them often. He sometimes embarrases me when we go to a good barbecue place and he orders franks and beans. When our kids were small I used to split the hotdog almost all the way through - so it was butterflied - top with mashed potatoes and cheese and they loved it. It got something besides a hotdog in their tummies too so I was happy with that.

I do something similar with the hotdogs and mashed potatoes for us adults. I make a huge batch of mashed potatoes, stir in some mustard and relish, then put the potatoes in a casserole dish. Then I grill the hotdogs (8), once done I slice them across and stick each half around the edge of the potatoes encircling them, throw some shredded cheddar cheese on top, pop the whole thing in the oven and heat until cheese is melted. Truly a comfort dish.

My mother used to make hotdogs stuffed with mashed potatoes and put under the broiler with cheese...but she used that nasty American cheese that came in a can (like Kraft Parmesan). Still, we all loved it and gobbled it right up. Many of you may not know that hotdogs are a very popular item here in Mexico. They are prepared in a wide variety of ways, but almost never on a hot dog bun. Sliced crosswise, they are combined with chiles, onions and cheese and then eaten with tortillas, like a taco. The supermarket deli always has several varieties of hot dog concoctions, with various sauces. I like them this way - DH doesn't. But the most creative way to serve a hotdog has got to be salchichas de pulpo (literally, octopus sausages). They are found at every street fair and fiesta:
40757825xh8.png

Karen - we love to do the mashed potatoes and cheese, but, with sausages like kielbasa. My son and his friends can't get enough of that stuff! :LOL:

Love the octopus dogs!!!!!

Another good way to grill them (I haven't read the entire thread, sorry if this is a repeat) is to wrap a hotdog in bacon then grill, turning until the bacon is done. YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a hot dog making competition on lunch break at the restarant haha it was alot of fun, i topped mine with corn and bacon, and confited another one in bacon fat and topped with caramelized onions

We've all seen teh thread about the favorite dog. now, what's your favorite way to cook 'em?

Mine, in order of importance;
1. Roast on a stick over a campfire
2. nuke till warm, stick on a skewer, and finish over the open flame of my gas range.
3. Drop them whole into a batch of good prok and beans and heat with the beans. Serve them in the same bowl.
4. nuke them until they start to swell, serve on whole wheat with horseradish, ketchup, and sweet pickle relish, or with chili and cheese.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

1. cut into bite sized pieces added to pork and beans with a bit of brown mustard, ketchup and molasses.

2. cut ends about 1/2 inch down in a crisscross (so they are now 4 pieces on each end) cut shallow crisscross slashes on the sides. BBQ or fry. the ends open and curl and the side slits open up.
or simmered in saurekraut
or nuked for one minute - either way served on a bun that was frozen then placed in toaster oven while still frozen and heated till toasty on the outside and soft and steamy on the inside. with brown mustard.

3. all the way - boiled on a bun topped with brown mustard, minced raw onion and chili.

but my favorite favorite is the way mom made them:

Hot Dogs and Onions

hot dogs cut into circles (you may substitute bologna - sliced into thin strips)
onion - sliced thin in half moons
butter
tomato paste
Burgundy wine
salt
ground black pepper
pasta - i like small shells - cooked and drained
Italian bread - optional

Fry hot dogs and onion in butter till onions are soft and hot dogs are slightly brown and puffed. Add tomato paste to pan and enough water and wine till you have a sauce like consistency. Let come to boil and simmer 5 minutes. Serve over cooked pasta or you can just put in bowl and eat with Italian bread.

I have to make a corection to my list of favorite hot dog cooking techniques. Number two has got to be ((drum roll please) and this is number two only because everything is better when cooked out in the woods) pigs in the blanket, made with a good hot dog, like Hebrew National, Volwurths, or Wrath Blackhawk, and wrapped in freshly made, yeasty-good white bread dough. Let the dough rise the first time, punch it down, flatten a piece of cough to make a wrap that just barely wraps around the dog. Then allow to rise the second time and bake until golden brown. Put a bit of good stuff in the inside of the blanket before wrapping if you like, like good American Cheese, or maybe a bit of mustard and reslish, or Sriracha Sauce. Yum.:chef: Bake until goldn brown and serve up with some great baked beans.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I thought this might be a good place to post a story. I was about 10 years old, and doing our family every few years visit to my parents' families in New Hampshire. We were visiting my dad's parents' apartment in Manchester, and were to have a traditional family Sunday breakfast. When I was told the meat would be saucisse (my paternal grandmother spoke no English), I didn't think much of it, not speaking French much at the time. It turned out that the family tradition was to have hot dogs as the meat for the breakfast. Well, when you think of it, hot dogs are sausages, right? Anyway, Pepere (sorry, no accents) very carefully steamed them and they were really the very best hot dogs I ever ate.

I had a hot dog making competition on lunch break at the restarant haha it was alot of fun, i topped mine with corn and bacon, and confited another one in bacon fat and topped with caramelized onions

You're my hero.

I prefer them grilled or prepared on a 'hot dog roller.'

commercial-hot-dog-roller-machine-p-6236.html

In summer we BBQ them and the rest of the time I usually pan fry them. I usually make whole wheat buns but lately have been buying them. Toppings include:

- Fried (caramelized) onions - lots of them piled high!
- Sauerkraut & Swiss cheese (a Reuben dog, my personal favourite)
- Mustard and Ketchup (not on mine thank you!)
- Slit open with any kind of cheese in the centre (works well on large dogs or smokies)
- brown beans or chili
- Ranch Dressing slathered on the bun! (this was a camp thing - Ranch "improved" everything, and it has stuck with me for hot dogs).

Last edited:
Oh boy. I loathe hot dogs. Only thing I'd do with them is bin them! (With apologies to all hot dog fans.)

Steam the buns; steam the dogs; cut wedges of tomato; cut wedges of yellow onion. Slather with your choice of mustard, horseradish, mayonaise, pickle relish, sauerkraut, ketchup (not traditional). Should be able to eat at least 2 big ones. Serve with potato chips. Mmmmmmmmmmmm

I watched an old episode of "The Next Iron Chef", the second last episode, and Michael Symon, who of course eventually won, made a lobster hot dog. It really still looked like a lobster roll to me, but the technique was all hot dog! To me, lobster and hot dog just don't go together! But the judges liked it!

Steam the buns; steam the dogs; cut wedges of tomato; cut wedges of yellow onion. Slather with your choice of mustard, horseradish, mayonaise, pickle relish, sauerkraut, ketchup (not traditional). Should be able to eat at least 2 big ones. Serve with potato chips. Mmmmmmmmmmmm

I thought you looked like the guy with the Hot Dog cart down the street! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom