Favorite Hot Dog Cooking Technique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
We've all seen teh thread about the favorite dog. now, what's your favorite way to cook 'em?

Mine, in order of importance;
1. Roast on a stick over a campfire
2. nuke till warm, stick on a skewer, and finish over the open flame of my gas range.
3. Drop them whole into a batch of good prok and beans and heat with the beans. Serve them in the same bowl.
4. nuke them until they start to swell, serve on whole wheat with horseradish, ketchup, and sweet pickle relish, or with chili and cheese.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Over an open camp fire is my absolute favorite....
Nuked (I love to watch them explode:LOL:) is next....
Sliced up and cooked with cabbage --- With Cornbread on the side....

Mine are:

1. Bowl them and then use the steam to steam the buns serve with chili
2. Nuke them until they nearly explode
3. Pot of Bush's Onion Baked Beans, cut up the dogs, cook together.

Slice lengthwise, fry in a skillet.
Eat on sandwich bread with a slice of american cheese and mustard.
Gotta split the dog ends or they curl up real bad.

We boil'em here. That way they're nice and juicy.
We do too Connie..I love those old fashioned ones with the skin that you hear pop when you bite into it. Then I hit it with chopped onion and mustard
kades

Other than the campfire, I like to put them in a saute pan with a little water, simmer, then let the water evaporate and brown the dogs.
We made our own frankfurters in class a couple of weeks ago.... mmmmmm.....

I have a recipe card in my file that my son "wrote" when he was about 4. It says "put the hotdog in the microwave and cook it til it wiggles."

I only eat them if they are cooked on the BBQ or over a campfire.

I prefer them on the grill, but they are also good broiled. Sometimes I boil them, too...when my kids were little, I had hot dogs but no buns, and I made horizontal slits in the hot dogs almost all the way through and put them in boiling water...they curled right up! In our family, we call them "curly dogs" and they can be served on a hamburger bun or regular bread. Became the kids' favorite.

#1. Over a camp fire, on a stick.
#2. On the grill.
#3. In a frying pan on the stove.
I like to cut lots of tiny slits through the skin all around the hot dog, so when it cooks, I get lots of crunchy texture.

Mine are:

1. Bowl them and then use the steam to steam the buns serve with chili
2. Nuke them until they nearly explode
3. Pot of Bush's Onion Baked Beans, cut up the dogs, cook together.

OMG - I do it the same way as #1. I like to boil mine to get them all fat then put in a bowl. Place the buns on top and cover with plastic wrap. :chef:

(side note - I do the same with a fried egg sandwich. Once I add the egg to the bread I wrap it in plastic wrap for a few minutes.)

My first job, at age 14, was pushing a hot dog cart around my neighborhood in Chicago. From that time to now the proper way to cook a hot dog is to steam them.

My favorite method.. Curly dogs!!!
Deep fried hotdogs.

Take the dog, cut 3/4 way through length wise. Then cut across the dog in 3/4" sections a little more than 3/4 way through. Drop into a deep fryer.
When they come out they will have curled into a circle and opened up so they are tall. Place on a small hamburger bun, a little onion and relish in the center and mustard on the dog..

Fantastic!!

There was a PBS show based on hot dogs and how they were cooked/served across the US. I remember 2 places in Clifton NJ
that deep fat fried their dogs - to different doneness,
One was call a ripper - when the frying caused the dog to slightly split
another was a nuker - when the dog was VERY well fried.

#1. Over a camp fire, on a stick.
#2. On the grill.
#3. In a frying pan on the stove.
I like to cut lots of tiny slits through the skin all around the hot dog, so when it cooks, I get lots of crunchy texture.

These are my top 3 methods as well. I am a bit weird in dressing it though, I like Mayo, spicy relish( like Zucchini) and diced tomatos on a bun, oooh, and shredded cheese!

Sidenote, when we were in panama, street vendors sell "meat on a stick" or "monkey meat." It is a hotdog on a kebab stick, spiral cut to cook through fast...no sauce, no bun, just yummy old meat on a stick (and it wasn't monkey)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom