Gheezz I have a question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PolishedTopaz

Sous Chef
I just got some nice Irish Butter at the market, aside from the basic saute uses what else can I use ghee for and how long can it be kept? Or should I use this lovely stuff for compound butters?
Thanks! P Top.

Last edited:
I just got some nice Irish Butter at the market, aside from the basic saute uses what else can I use ghee for and how long can it be kept? Or should I use this lovely stuff for compound butters?
Thanks! P Top.

Quote from:Good Question: How Do I Use Ghee? | The Kitchn
"Ghee will last for a very long time without going rancid, although I do keep mine in the fridge to prolong its life. It should last as long as you need it to: months and months at least. You can use it as a cooking oil anywhere else you would use butter or oil: cooking vegetables, frying rice before steaming it, or searing meat. Since it doesn't have the milk solids of butter, you can fry with it at higher temperatures without it smoking. It is very high in fat of of course, so do use it with good judgment!"

Here's a few recipes:

Delicious ghee Recipes - RKG Ghee

Kerala ghee recipes - RKG Ghee

South Indian Ghee Recipes - RKG Ghee

North Indian Ghee Recipes - RKG Ghee

Last edited:
Thanks! P Top.

I'm confused. The advice on the use of ghee is correct, but how did we get from Irish butter to ghee?

I was responding to the question within the OP's thread starter (Highlighted in red above).

From the phrasing of the post, it seems that PolishedTopaz may think that Irish Butter and Ghee are the same thing. They aren't, of course.

Last edited:
When I have really nice butter, I like it on really good toast and really pay attention to the taste or on croissants. It's also nice as an ingredient in pastry.

I think I see now. You're planning on making Gee from your Irish Butter?

It was a thought, but on further contemplation, I think I would get more use out of compound butters and really let this yummy stuff carry some other flavors...........Roasted garlic and gorganzola for starters......:yum:

It was a thought, but on further contemplation, I think I would get more use out of compound butters and really let this yummy stuff carry some other flavors...........Roasted garlic and gorganzola for starters......:yum:

I love Irish butter! It's delicious! A butter sauce with a hint of sage on pasta is amazing.

irish butter is a thing to behold, although that was in ireland. i've had it imported here in the u.s. and it was average. i guess it's all about freshness like any dairy.

if you're looking for a compund butter, try fresh basil and dill. goes great on broiled fish like steelhead or salmon.

for steak, i would add sundried tomatoes, a bit of tomato paste, ground celery seed, and just a pinch of horseradish.
:chef:

Personally, if it were me, I would just enjoy the flavor of the butter itself. You paid more for a butter that tastes like... well, butter. Why dilute the flavor with anything at all? Just enjoy it straight up on bread, or add a dab to veggies or eggs. I would treat it more as a condiment than a cooking butter.

By the way, you can buy butter made in the US that's virtually the same. Look for something called "pasture butter". I buy it in co-op stores, but I've seen it in other grocery stores like Whole Foods as well. The problem is that it's seasonal, usually only made May through September.

Last edited:
I agree with Steve, let the butter be the star. I enjoy the slightly sour tang that imported butter has. If you whip a little sour cream into room temperature grocery store butter and then chill it you can come close or let the grocery store butter "mature" on the counter before using it.

I've never seen anything but "store" butter where I shop...thanks for the tip re: sour cream. I think I'll give that a try the next time I make an herb butter...

I've never seen anything but "store" butter where I shop...thanks for the tip re: sour cream. I think I'll give that a try the next time I make an herb butter...

Buy some Lactantia My Country (cultured) or some of the organic stuff from Quebec. We're spoiled with good butter here.

In 2005 I went to Denmark and stayed at my mum's place with my mum and sister. My sister had a few small packets of French butter from the airplane which she was raving about. She got really mad at me when I said, it's good, but no big deal. A few days later, after eating Danish butter, she apologized. She agreed with me. The French butter was good, but not fabulous, certainly not compared with the Danish butter. She lives in Orange County, Calif.

Buck.......

That sounds like the Bloody Mary CB that was done on Guy v. Rachael, Sunday on FN.

that's exactly where i got the idea from. i tried making it as i love compound butters, and it's fantastic! my new go to compound butter.
can't wait to get outside to grill some nice ribeyes.

that's exactly where i got the idea from. i tried making it as i love compound butters, and it's fantastic! my new go to compound butter.
can't wait to get outside to grill some nice ribeyes.
Oh OH blue cheese compound butter on grilled steak!! Invite me over PLEASE!!

Buy some Lactantia My Country (cultured) or some of the organic stuff from Quebec. We're spoiled with good butter here.

In 2005 I went to Denmark and stayed at my mum's place with my mum and sister. My sister had a few small packets of French butter from the airplane which she was raving about. She got really mad at me when I said, it's good, but no big deal. A few days later, after eating Danish butter, she apologized. She agreed with me. The French butter was good, but not fabulous, certainly not compared with the Danish butter. She lives in Orange County, Calif.
I think I'm going to have to go on a "foodie trip" to Montreal this summer...

Back
Top Bottom