Heating plates in your oven...Temp/time tables?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bacardi

Senior Cook
Just wondering if there was any sort of temp/times guides of keeping plates warm. I know there are dedicated plate warmers but I was hoping people have had success with their ovens.

My question is, if you are cooking a dish which is estimated to be ready in 10 minutes.

How long would you put plates into the oven if the oven was set to 450f? What if it's 350f ?

What if the oven is off...Do you crank the oven to 500 and put the plates in?

You don't want to blister and char your guests' fingers! Set the temp to the lowest possible - usually 170F - 200F. That will be too hot to handle but will cool a little by the time you plate and serve.

How long it takes a plate to heat up depends a lot on the plate. Corelle is light and thin while stoneware is thick and heavy.

My toaster oven hold a full size plate. If I'm heating a plate I either stick it in there on as low as it goes, 170F I think, or on top of the stove if there is room and the oven is on. 170 is still too hot to handle IMO, so I don't leave it in long enough to reach 170.
Like Andy said, a lot is going to depend on the plate.

If you are using the oven just put the plates on the stove top.... not over flame of course. they'll get plenty warm enough there.

:) I have put them in a sink of really hot water pull them out dry and set on table. Kind of a pain but it dos work. I just had a thought what if you took hot dried towels from the dryer and stacked plates between them then stick back in warm dryer. Don't turn it on of course:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom