How do I Caramelize Balsamic Vinegar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maccalicious

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone. Just found this site while searching for the answer to my question on Caramelized Balsamic Vinegar.

I've got a big bottle of Balsamic Vinegar which is pretty runny and I want to get it into a nice thick caramelized cosistency.

Anybody know how this can be done?

All you do is pour some into a pot, heat to boiling/simmering until thickened. Don't get it too thick because as it cools it will thicken more and you'll be cutting it out of your pot:rolleyes: . I would give you times but it depends on how much you do at one time. I've done this many times but never paid attention to amounts or times.

All basic balsamic is runny. The aged balsamic is thicker and sweeter. The reducing as described above will sweeten it up also.

Thanks Kitchenelf, I suspected it would be as easy as that, as I am pretty sure I've seen chefs do it in the kitchen of the cafe I waitressed at, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to add anything or do something special. I'll try it out straight away!

Yep, it's that easy! It's great drizzled on cut up strawberries. I love to make a salad of a mesclun mix, blueberries, strawberries, red onion, almonds, fresh cubed mozzarella and drizzle with reduced balsamic. It's also good to drizzle some on salmon when grilling.

Oh yum, that just sounds great! I might try that salad of yours, thanks for yet another tip. Me, living in Australia will just use it tonight to make a simple rocket & parmesan salad, which is really just rocket leaves, shaved parmesan cheese and olive oil and balsamic drizzle. It's a very popular side dish here and tastes great, you can add some toasted pinenuts for effect.

maccalicious said:
Hi everyone. Just found this site while searching for the answer to my question on Caramelized Balsamic Vinegar.

I've got a big bottle of Balsamic Vinegar which is pretty runny and I want to get it into a nice thick caramelized cosistency.

Anybody know how this can be done?
Kitchenelf has said it all. Bring it to a boil, then simmer it, gently, until you have half the original quantity.

Try putting it into a small cooking pot. Heat, until most of the water evaporates. If this does not work, then try cooking it with sugar, stirring constantly, until it caramelizes.

Mel

There now, just the kind of thing I'd never even think of without DC but just the kind of thing I'm now tempted to try. Thanks for asking your question, maccalicious.

Reduce it by simmering, add about 1-2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar per cup of unreduced Balsimic. There are so many expensive aged balsimics you can have fun with your flavorings as you reduce. Remember, the Old Balsimics were aged in casks, which imparted tannin flavors too. Have fun. Paul

The first time you do it, don't reduce it with sugar or any sweetener because different people have different tolerance levels of what is and isn't sweet. The balsamic will thicken without added sugar and you can always add it in later if you find that the reduction is still too tart for your tastes. With that being said, I also agree that honey compliments balsamic better than sugar, and you can add that in at the end. You're going to have to reduce it by more than half though. Usually the yield is about 1/3 to 1/4 of the original quantity.

Back
Top Bottom