How do you butter your corn on the cob?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"I use those plastic corn trays that hold the cob and any and all juices, along with those plastic two-tine things you stick in the cob for easy handling."

That's what we use. I thought they were kind of tacky at first, but they sure do the trick. When you're finished the cob, pour the melted butter on whatever else you're eating.:)

Once a year we were allowed to have a huge blow out, and for that one we could eat nothing but corn and tomatoes, after preparing what seemed like tons of both for the freezer. Our big celebration was that we were allowed to roll the corn directly on a stick of margarine. When you're through you pretty much need to throw whatever is left over away, it is such a mess. But it was one time when manners were not insisted upon. We also used dish towels as napkins. It would be hot out in those Utah years, so we might literally hose down after (always done outside), then jump in a little wading pool to cool down.

If I'm bringing a platter of boiled corn to the table, I'll butter them all in the kitchen with a brush and melted butter. If for some reason I cannot do this, (ie I roasted it over a fire, and we're all outside) I'll pass a pat of butter with each ear, hoping everyone works quickly enough to slather it on... I've discovered that corn that's soaked in beer or cider for a while, and then roasted over fire doesn't really need the addition of butter...

When we were kids, we'd roll the ear in the butter stick, leaving a tunnel down the length of it. No one ever wanted to use that stick the next morning for toast, however, so my mother usually frowned on our buttering method.

candelbc said:
We always melted our butter and applied it with a Pastry brush.. It's very convienent and easy to apply.. I was shocked that no one had mentioned up to this point.

-Brad

I mentioned it in my original post, Brad. I think that's a pretty classy method.

I have a friend who has one of those little plastic butter holders, and it's pretty cool, GB. She's one of those ladies who has all the right little gadgets.

Beth, I do the same thing, although f I'm using a little butter for cooking, I do try to remember to use some of the "deformed stick".

My daughter uses that butter flavored spray, and it's not bad for something like a grilled cheese sandwich, but I don't care for it with corn.

By the way, the Squeeze Parkay really is pretty good. But when I found out that margarine was as bad healthwise as butter (although in a different way), I decided to just stick with butter for most purposes.

I do like to keep a tub of reduced-calorie soft-spread margarine on hand for spreading on toast or my baked potato (along with lite sour cream).

JoAnn, I was born in Iowa...Des Moines, actually. My mom and dad lived in Bondurant, which was just a tiny farming town at the time.
We moved to Illinois, back to my mother's home town, when I was 18 months old, but we always went to see Dad's family every summer.
I'll never forget how proud I was when I learned how to prime the pump on the artisian well and stick my head under the cold water like my cousins did.

I have actually listened to the corn grow. One very hot and sultry night, when I was 14, my dad drove me out into a cornfield, shut of the engine, and rolled down the windows. We sat there quietly, listening.
You really can hear the corn growing...it rustles, pops and cracks in that hot, humid air.

Please don't go into shock Brad, but I nip a nob off a very cold block, put it in my mouth from the knife, then eat the seasoned corn. One bite or a travelling nibble along the cob depending on how much butter I have nobbled.

Corn on cob

Corn on the cob should only be eaten at home. After all then you got you feet under your own table and you can do aas you please. I have been known to put the butter in my hand and rub it on the corn that wayh. Well any way it works for me. Oh and by the way I never, never, never eat corn away from home.

Constance

What great memories from your childhood. The first time I went into a cornfield I couldn't believe how tall it grows. We are lucky this year. My son-in-law planted sweet corn. There is enough for our whole family. Bless him.

LOL quite right. Need a dessert of toothpicks and floss too. I wouldn't dream of eating corn cobs except with friends and family.

I have to laugh (at myself), as I never thought that there might be different (and more efficient) ways of buttering ears of corn! I always just grab a knife, slice off some butter, and chase melted butter around the ear. I guess that I am a lemming, as that is the way my parents did it and I just followed suit, never thinking that there might be "a better way." Thanks for sharing your tips.
-Joe

Here in Wisconsin when we get a big group together the corn comes right off the grill and it gets dunked in a coffee can filled half with water and half with butter. as you may not know butter floats on top of the water therefore you dont waste any butter. I have also used the bread and butter method.:cool:

candelbc said:
We always melted our butter and applied it with a Pastry brush.. It's very convienent and easy to apply.. I was shocked that no one had mentioned up to this point.

-Brad

Actually, Constance mentioned it in her original post.

BC

I love corn on the cob. I usually put a lot of butter on a plate and then roll the cob over it. I also have handles for each side of the cob so it doesn't get too messy.

Take a new stick from the refrigerator, peel back one end of the wrapper, hold stick by the other end, and rub the exposed end on the corn. My mother has one of the plastic things with the cap, and it works well, but I hate having something cluttering my drawer that has only one use.

The least-wasteful, best-tasting, easiest-to-clean-up system is the buttered-bread system. Corn with butter, buttered corn-y bread. What could be better?!

You lucky people you, by the way. We pay about 1 Euro per ear ...

(Who's going to start the poll for what direction you eat your corn in?!)

Back
Top Bottom