How do you cook a cross rib roast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pot roast is one of my favorites - I like mine in the crockpot - a no brainer. I really wish someone would prepare this the way I described, it really is delish.

Oven Roasted Cross Rib

It's not so easy to find an oven roasted cross rib recipe, so I decided to try the one with balsamic vinegar tonight. While waiting for it to cook I continued to browse the internet and run into this site. Reading Michelle's review of the roast makes me feel a bit better. I'll be making this 65 people on Sunday and I can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm using a 2lb roast so I adjusted the salt to 1 teaspoon because I think 1 tablespoon will simply be too much. I kept the measurement for the rest of the ingredients.

Bernadette

It's not so easy to find an oven roasted cross rib recipe, so I decided to try the one with balsamic vinegar tonight. While waiting for it to cook I continued to browse the internet and run into this site. Reading Michelle's review of the roast makes me feel a bit better. I'll be making this 65 people on Sunday and I can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm using a 2lb roast so I adjusted the salt to 1 teaspoon because I think 1 tablespoon will simply be too much. I kept the measurement for the rest of the ingredients.

Bernadette

Bernadette, a meat thermometer is key for this recipe! Let it sit for a while before you slice it - I usually let it sit for at least 30 minutes, longer if I can. I use an electric knife to carve it. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Hi there,
I was just doing a search and got a google hit on this thread. i was so impressed I immediately signed up. see my intro post, from the GTA. I am doing this roast now as we speak. I am using a roasting pan and rack, the usual one that comes with your oven. My oven is gas, not electric. I didn't have balsamic vinegar, so I used garlic vinegar, ( from philippines ), and also rubbed with michelles rub. eg. olive oil, thyme, etc...and I just put a half cup of water in the roasting pan. I put the seasoned meat on the rack, and stuck my meat thermometer in it. I pre heatd the oven to 350 deg. and set the timer for 2 hours. , so, I'll let you know when we eat it tonite how it turned out.

Whenever a pot roast recipe calls for a chuck roast (or any other cut, as a matter of fact), I use the cross rib because it is a bit leaner but still has that wonderful chuck-y flavor.

For medium-rare type recipes, I prefer steak cuts,usually a New York strip, which IMO has much more flavor than filet.

conclusion

Hi people,

ok, I'll cut right to it...:rolleyes: it was a success using the roasting technique.
I cooked it on 350 for about 2.5 hours in a gas oven. the roast was nicely browned and flavourful. ..and I didn't need to sear it first. just I rubbed it with some garlic vinigar, didnt' have balsamic. and then rubbed with oliive oil mix of Michelle. that was it. after cooking it, I did transfer to a pyrex dish and left in the fridge for a few hours before slicing it up. I used the pan juices to make a gravy. leftovers made sandwiches for kids lunches. cheers.:chef:

Here is my favorite way to prepare a rib roast.
Enjoy! Debbie

MOIST AND FLAVORFUL PRIME RIB ROAST

img_501067_0_dfcf0a193dbf7562b4382fdb9b3c495d.jpg

1 BEEF RIB ROAST; Bone-In.
WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
JOHNNY'S SEASONING SALT; Or Favorite Seasoning.
GARLIC; Cut Into Slivers.
_____

Insert garlic into roast if desired.
Rub some Worcestershire sauce all over the roast.
Sprinkle roast with a generous amount of Johnny's seasoning all over.
Wrap roast in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Let roast sit out of refrigerator for 2 hours before baking.
Place roast in roasting pan; pour any marinade over roast.
Bake uncovered at 325 degrees until meat reaches desired doneness.
Remove from pan; cover with foil and let rest for 15 to 30 minutes.
Make gravy if desired.
_____

hey ol blu, that's a yummy looking plate of food!! This thread is about
CROSS RIB, which is a cheaper cut than the roast you have made there, which is PRIME RIB. That's ok with me though, I just want to make sure others don't get confused now. I will still keep your recipe in mind when I find prime rib roast on sale. I'm going to do another cross rib roast today by the way. It goes fast, since we just eat it until it's gone...I don't like to freeze leftover roast beef, to me, it just loses texture and taste in that process.
Cheers ol blu and I see your eatin good in the neighbourhood:chef:

hey ol blu, that's a yummy looking plate of food!! This thread is about
CROSS RIB, which is a cheaper cut than the roast you have made there, which is PRIME RIB. That's ok with me though, I just want to make sure others don't get confused now. I will still keep your recipe in mind when I find prime rib roast on sale. I'm going to do another cross rib roast today by the way. It goes fast, since we just eat it until it's gone...I don't like to freeze leftover roast beef, to me, it just loses texture and taste in that process.
Cheers ol blu and I see your eatin good in the neighbourhood:chef:

I forgot to say when I posted the recipe that I follow this recipe for making a Cross Rib roast also. I was in a hurry when I posted I guess. Sorry.

I am interested in information re. Bone in rib eye roast. I have 2 4 1/2 pound chunks.
How long will it take to cook to a medium range? Mitien

I am interested in information re. Bone in rib eye roast. I have 2 4 1/2 pound chunks.
How long will it take to cook to a medium range? Mitien

Since the topic of this thread was cooking a cross rib roast, my suggestion would be to do a search in the beef forum. If you don't find what you're looking for, you'll get the most help by starting a new thread there.

House Cook

I didn't know how to cook cross rib roast....I read everything that you all said about the cut and recipes to use....still confused. I've decided to sear it, rub seed mustard and horseradish all over, cook at 325 for 2 hours covered - then uncover and turn up the heat to 350 to crisp it up a bit until desired temperature....I'll let you know how it turns out!

Last edited:
Don't overcook this meat. Use a meat themometer. Cook only until the internal temp reaches 125 to 130 ' F. This meat is supposed to be eaten rare, or at the most, medium rare. Otherwise, you might as well be eating a chuck roast. Cooking low is ok. I just purchased a meat thermometer that has an alarm on it, and a probe. You insert the probe, and leave the long, silicone clad wire outside of the oven, attached to the digital thermometer. You set the alarm to go off at a desired temperature, and then do whatever until it goes off. For your roast, I would set it at 120, so that you have time to turn up the heat. And I would turn up the heat to 425 and let cook until the thermometer reads 125. REmove from the oven and let rest for ten minutes before carving.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Hi Michele!

Thank you for insisting on trying this wonderful recipe! It is as you describe: nice, herby crusty outside and juicy, tender inside! Who would have thought cooking this roast other than slow cooking would have been so flavorful? This recipe is a keeper.
Great with roast potatoes on the side ( I peeled, quartered and rubbed my potatoes in olive oil--can season if like, but I used the glaze from roast with the potatoes: yum). Steamed fresh French beans completes this simple but delicious meal.

Aloha,

Loretta

Rotisserie

I marinaded it in wine and garlic all day, then rotisserie for 3 hours low heat, basting every 1/2 in the marinade, it turned out so tender and tasty, I think the best cut for this by far!!

I buy cross-cut chuck roasts, as they're called locally, quite often. They're quite lean, consisting of large muscles with little fat between the sections, most of the fat being in a layer on the outside. I often cut them up for stews. Great flavor! However, despite the advice given here by some folks I respect, I'd never serve it rare -- it's not a rib roast (i.e., prime rib); it's a pot roast.

I buy cross-cut chuck roasts, as they're called locally, quite often. They're quite lean, consisting of large muscles with little fat between the sections, most of the fat being in a layer on the outside. I often cut them up for stews. Great flavor! However, despite the advice given here by some folks I respect, I'd never serve it rare -- it's not a rib roast (i.e., prime rib); it's a pot roast.

Too true my friend. It is a pot roast, or similar enough. But cook it rare and slice paper thin, against the grain, and you have the makings for extraordinary roast beef sandwiches, or piled high on a slice of bread, with smashed spuds and a great green vegetable on the side, with gravy all over, and you have a gorgeous open faced roast beef sandwich.

This is my family's favorite way to have this kind of roast. But it has to be sliced ultra thin to make it work.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I went to the butcher to get a chicken yesterday and saw one of these instead.
I came home and found this thread and figured I would try it as an oven roast.
The butcher said it was a quite a bit leaner then a rib roast so I topped it with some bacon and crusted it with horseradish and shallots from the blender.
450 for 15 minutes and about 90 minutes at 300 until the thermometer went off at 130deg.
The pan drippings made a great smoky gravy and the rare thin slices disappeared as fast as I could cut them.
I have about half of the 7lb. roast left and know what I am taking for lunch this week.
Next time I think I will try one on the smoker, 200deg for 4-5 hours should make a super tender piece of good eats.

Thanks for all the great tips on this cut of meat.

quite an old topic....

am making cross rib roast tonight and am trying for firt time to cook on low for 6+ hours....

looking forward to it!

Back
Top Bottom