I hate metric system.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alix said:
Ishbel, I never have trouble with the measurement portion of your recipes. It is just a teeny challenge to figure out some of the terms. I like a good challenge though!

Heeeheee - Just like to keep you 'foreign' English speakers on your toes :mrgreen: :cool:

DampCharcoal said:
Victory! Good job, Choc! :winkiss:

:clap:Hooray!!!!! Victory at last!

I knew I could browbeat you guys into keeping the old system.
:hammer:

Or make it happen magically! :sorcerer:

kitchenelf said:
We were told in high school that very soon the US would switch to metric - but it might be a few years - it's been 32 years and we're not there yet and not even close. Either way is fine with me - but it would be nice to have universal recipes!!!

yeah we were kitchennisse. The three glass measuring cups I have (4 cup, 2 cup and 1 cup) have the metric on one side. I try to do it, but does not work unless the recipe is in metric. However, I do have three foreign cookbooks, one of which is metric only, the other two have both. And like you, I do not care which way as long as I can figure it out, which I usually am able to do. I had four years of cooking in high school, do not know why I did not go to culinary school, guess it was not popular back then. BTY it has been longer for me than 32 years. I probably graduated more years ago than your age. :ROFLMAO:

What I did find amusing just this evening was a fine sounding recipe posted by TheHummer from New Zealand. The ingredients are:

Pork With Mushroom And Balsamic Sauce
1 cup chicken stock
15 g dried porcini mushrooms
4 pork loin chops, trimmed of rind
1 Tbs oil
25 g butter
1 small onion, finely diced
1 tsp minced fresh garlic
4-6 portobello mushrooms, thickly sliced
4-6 shiitake mushrooms, stems trimmed only
1-2 Tbs finest quality balsamic vinegar

We have grams of porcinis and butter, a cup of chicken stock, Tbs, and tsp measurements.

How the people from New Zealand manage mixing the two systems without missing a beat is something I admire them for.

But it sure seems a bit confusing to me.

The only question I have is how in the heck does someone measure 25 grams of butter? Sounds like about a pat, and that I understand.

Rainee said:
Just convert them all to grams and it'll all be one.

No different than a recipe calling for a:

lliter
milligrams
grams

It is absolutely diffrent. Gramss are nothing but the 1/1000 of a kilogram. All the scales are in fact in grams, so you do not have to convert them into anything, it is what it is, no conversion of any sort required unlike teaspoons ans table spoons etc. Especially when recipe is for a half poun and I was making 60 pounds. everything had to be multiplied by 120, so it's 240 tablespoons of this, 360 teaspoons of that, common admit it, just because you are used to the system it doesn't make it easier than metric. Be honest.

I also use both systems of measurement. I have my American measuring cups with me. You can buy them here from time to time, but they are not standard.

I have an adorable digital scale that will measure in grams or ounces. I think weighing your flour is more accurate than measuring by cups. I do use cups for my American recipes.

You really do get used to it. I had to, living in Holland. After all this time I don't convert in my head anymore. If somebody says it will be 20 degrees tomorrow, I don't convert to F. anymore. I just know it will be a nice warm day.

Pam

yous guys don't know the half of it.

while us americans are used to the non-linear measurements of the standard/english system, and the metric system lends itself to simple mathematical formulas and conversions, try working with computer hardware.

binary is simple, the basis of everything (there are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don't :) ).

but then you get into hexadecimal, or a base 16 number system. :blink:
that is you count 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, then A (for 10), B (11), c (12), d (13), e (14), and finally f (15).
so you can end up with numbers like 1A, 3F, or FF.

fyi, 1A = 26 (decimal), or 11010 (binary)
3C = 60 (dec), or 111100 (bin)
FF = 255 (dec), or 11111111 (bin)

so now stop all of the whining, and get back in the kitchen!!!!!:chef:

CharlieD said:
Imagine kilograms and grams. Liters and milliliters. How is the person supposed to know all of this and understand? Obviously I’m being sarcastic here.

:blink: I had the opposite problem! I can measure one kilo or gram by eyes but when they told me about spoon and cup I got mad! I also had this problem when I made shopping in Boston. So buying Parma ham I had to ask for the number of slices! :)

Happy Easter to everyone and for the ones you care.

Nice, Andy! :LOL: Buck, I wasn't gifted with a mathematical mind. I have problems with basic algebra and if I actually tried to learn something involving numbers my brain would melt and run out of my ears! :rolleyes:

DampCharcoal said:
Nice, Andy! :LOL: Buck, I wasn't gifted with a mathematical mind. I have problems with basic algebra and if I actually tried to learn something involving numbers my brain would melt and run out of my ears! :rolleyes:

I graduated from college, but without having to pass any math courses thank God. :LOL:

Otherwise, I would still be there. :ROFLMAO:

Stop that right now, Charc! There's more than one way to get an education, and it doesn't have to mean going to college.

Obviously you haven't heard this one: "I was a liberal arts major. Want fries with that?"
or:
"I may have a Ph.D., but I'm not stupid!"

Hummmmmm, my measuring cup holds 960ml, I feel cheated.

Want a real headache for figuring weights. I use standard (Av.) and metric in the kitchen, altho I am rewriting everything for metric. Plus I exchange gold in Troy weights then turn around and talk to friends in Canada and use Imperial! The doc says I'll be fine in a few years of therapy and meds

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom