ISO advice/tips on how to make scrambled eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use a really good non stick pan and then butter the pan well. Add your eggs folding gently till just under done and still oozing. Sprinkle with the best cheese I have and a splash of tabasco! Darn it you made me want scrambled eggs now..lol!

I use well seasoned cast iron, a couple teaspoons of butter. Non-stick is also great for eggs, but you really do need to add butter/oil, even for the non-stick pans.

Pretty much any other kind of pan leads to sticky eggs. Lots of people buy a non-stick JUST for eggs--don't cook anything else in it. If you buy less expensive non-stick, just trade it in for a new one after a while, when the eggs start to stick.

I usually scramble eggs with cheese, so I spray my teflon pan. A little of the cheese is going to end up sticking, but it's okay.

I mix my cheese in with the beaten eggs so the bits are suspended in the egg, then I pull the edges toward the middle as they solidify, letting more egg spread out onto the pan. I open up the middle of the eggs and turn over any soggy areas until just right.

I have two pans that are single serving eggs only pans. This way I can do eggs to order for the kids. The reason for eggs only non-stick is that the proteins of other foods causes the eggs to stick.

If you go to culinary school they have non-stick pans for eggs. That is the only instance that non-stick pans are OK in culinary school.

Lightly scramble the eggs with a fork. Add a splash of water or milk. Heat a non-stick pan at medium and melt a pat of butter. Add the eggs and stir quickly with a wood or plastic spatula. When the eggs are almost done (still a little liquid) remove them to a plate. Season and enjoy.

The eggs will continue to cook after you plate them. If you continue to cook the eggs until they are exactly the way you like them, they will be overcooked in the plate.

If there eggs are cooked but watery, you overcooked them. Excessive heat causes the egg proteins to contract, squeezing moisture out into the pan, leaving you with dry overcooked eggs.

Like Andy said,(maybe others, too) don't have your heat too high and I stir them constantly from start to finish. Stop the heat while they are still good and moist, they will finish cooking from their own heat retention.

I find it helps to break all the eggs into a bowl first and scramble them with a fork, whisk or hand blender. I add my salt and pepper then too. Get the pan hot with some melted butter and pour the whole bowl into the pan. I have a nonstick pan just for eggs but have been known to use my cast iron. If I have it on hand, I will use bacon grease instead of butter. Stir the eggs very frequently and be sure to cover the entire pan bottom with your spatula. I add cheese also but I wait until about halfway through the cooking process. Usually then when the cheese is melted, the eggs are done (still slightly "runny" as noted in other posts) and ready to eat.

I make scrambled eggs on a non-stick griddle, or frying pan. I usually cook bacon first, drain off most of the grease, plop the eggs in whole, add crumbled bacon (sometimes onion and mushrooms) and just scramble and stir until the right consistency. Have never had a sticking problem. Don't have the heat too high or you will scorch your eggs.

Well, I do my scrambled eggs the way my dad was taught in the Navy. I put some butter in a well-seasoned CI skillet. Heat that over medium. When the butter is melted, I break the eggs into the pan, shake it a bit. Then, with a fork, stir to scramble them, but no extra liquid is added. You can add grated cheese, herbs, etc. If you want to scramble the eggs before putting them in the pan, then the appropriate measure is the smallest 1/2 egg shell to measure the liquid. But I like to scramble my eggs direct in the pan with no additional liquid (and, eggs that are FRESH are the best <g>).

Welcome to DC! Hope you stick around, there are a lot of great folks here who love to cook and talk about food.

does anyone know what causes scrambled eggs to turn a little greenish?

i've noticed this a few times at work (from catered events) as well as from complimentary breakfasts offered at hotels where we've stayed. but it's never happened to me at home.

is it something to do with the fact that they're in a ss steam table?

My guess would be some sort of oxydization of the minerals in the eggs. Just like how potatoes sometimes turn black when boiling. Has something to do with the iron content.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom