ISO Your Most Spectacular Dessert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
In this thread, I am asking; What is your most spectacular desert? I'm not talking about your favorite, or your go-to. I am talking about the most successful desert you have made with a visual wow factor, and that tastes so very good.

Mine is the Red-White-and Blue Ne york Cheesecake. It sonsisted of three, New york stile cheesecake, each with either a strawberry, blueberry, or sweetened cream cheese topping, all layered into a single graham cracker crust. Each layer was a complete, unbroken cheesecake filling, topped with one of the three toppings. Those who ate slices of it did not understand How I could make such a thing. Here is my secret:

Fist, you must have a good, 10-inch springf-form pan. Here is the cheesecake recipe:

Ingredients:

10” Crust:
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs.
4 tbs. sugar (I use Splenda)
8 tbs. real butter

Filling:
6 - 8oz. pkgs. cream cheese
1 1/2 cups sour cream
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/8 cups sugar (Splenda for me again)
3 tbs. Cornstarch
4 large eggs.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Melt the butter and combine with the remaining crust ingredients. Spread evenly across the bottom and sides of either a 10 inch round springform pan, or a 9 inch square sprinform pan. Place pan with crust into the freezer for ten minutes.

Place the cream cheese in a large, microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 1 minute in the microwave to soften. Beat in the remaining ingredients until the filling is silky smooth. This is easier of course with an immersion blender, a mixer, or a wire whisk.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Pour 1/3 of the filling into the pie crust and smooth until the top is evenly distributed and flat. Place into the hot oven and bake for 15 minutes. Then, reduce the heat to 280 degrees F., and bake for 45 minus. At h the end of the banking time, gently shake the pan to see if the custard is set. If it is, remove the pan from the oven, slide a knife between the pan d sides and the crust, and remove the pan from the oven. Carefully slide a plastic cutting sheet under the cheesecake. Lift the entire cheesecake to a safe place and let cool. Re-assemble the spring-form pan. Line the pan bottom , and sides of the pan with parchment paper. Butter the parchment. Fill with 1/.2 of the remaining custard filling. place into the hot oven. As the custard bakes, the proteins in it will cause the filling to shrink a bit. When the second layer has finished baking, and the custard is firm, remove from the oven and again take apart the pan, and remove the custard onto another plastic cutting sheet, leaving the parchment. paper behind. Set aside

Finally, bake the last of the custard as you did the 2nd layer.

Let all layers cool to room temperature. Then, add 1/2 pkg. blueberry flavored gelatin to a can of blueberry pie filling in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer while stirring. Pour this mixture onto the bottom cheesecake layer (the one with the graham cracker side crust). Now, gently slide the 2nd layer on top of the first layer. Add 1/2 cup confectioners sugar,1 tbs. vanilla, 8 oz. of sour team. and 4 oz. of cream cheese together. Heat it in the microwave until soft and stir to combine. Spread this mixture on the top of the 2nd layer. When all is cooled, slide the third layer on top of the first two layers. Add 1 packet Knox unflavored gelatin to a 14 oz. can of strawberry pie filling. Heat until simmering. Stir to dissolve the gelatin into the pie filling. Spread on top of the top cheesecake layer.

Mix together one more recipe of graham cracker crust, and while still warm, press against the sides of the cheesecake to form a crust from the top of the existing crust to the top of the cheesecake top layer. Chill in your refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours. Serve to your family or guests, and get rave reviews.

Ok. Now it's time for you to wow me with your most extraordinary desert, and the recipe, and technique you used to make it.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Triple chocolate cheesecake, layers of white, milk and dark chocolate. It's also supposed to have a hot fudge sauce on it, but unless you are extremely into chocolate, it's a bit much.

Homemade Dobosh torte with almond butter lace cookies filled with brandy butter cream as a garnish.

The flourless chocolate cake from Death By Chocolate.

Chocolate lava cakes with a raspberry truffle inside, on raspberry coulis.

Buche Noel with espresso frosting and chocolate and vanilla buttercream fillings. That was made over several days given all the steps plus the fondant pinecones and holly decorations, plus the meringue mushrooms.

Cheeseburger cakes with churro fries and raspberry ketchup
. post 79. Buns were pound cakes, burgers were dark chocolate buttercream, cheese slices were white chocolate, and pickles were kiwi slices. That was a 3 day process.

Last edited:
The closest I come to making a dessert that fits that description is my raspberry trifle, served in a large, glass, souffle pan. It's layers of sponge cake, vanilla pudding, raspberry gelatin, and topped with whipped cream and whole raspberries. I usually make everything from scratch, but if I don't have the time or energy to make the sponge cake, I use store bought angel food cake.

Triple chocolate cheesecake, layers of white, milk and dark chocolate. It's also supposed to have a hot fudge sauce on it, but unless you are extremely into chocolate, it's a bit much.

Homemade Dobosh torte with almond butter lace cookies filled with brandy butter cream as a garnish.

The flourless chocolate cake from Death By Chocolate.

Chocolate lava cakes with a raspberry truffle inside, on raspberry coulis.

Buche Noel with espresso frosting and chocolate and vanilla buttercream fillings. That was made over several days given all the steps plus the fondant pinecones and holly decorations, plus the meringue mushrooms.

Cheeseburger cakes with churro fries and raspberry ketchup. post 79. Buns were pound cakes, burgers were dark chocolate buttercream, cheese slices were white chocolate, and pickles were kiwi slices. That was a 3 day process.
Now those works of art are truly spectacular Med.

I'm a true dunce with pretty desserts, but sure enjoy looking.

Hope Salt&Pepper, and Janet show up here as they are both so talented.

Last edited:
Funny, I asked DH what he thought are my "Most Spectacular Desserts" and his reply was:

Best Apple Pie.jpg

Best Apple Pie1.jpg

Best Apple Pie2.jpg

"... your Apple Pie (it's actually a Galette, but …)

Best Carror cake.jpg

Best Carror cake1.jpg

"... your Carrot Cake …"

Best Cheesecake.jpg

Best Cheesecake2.jpg

"… your Cheesecake …"

Best Rum cake1.jpg

Best Rum cake.jpg

" Rum Cake …"

(continued to the next page please)

Attachments

• Best New Brownie.jpg
    Best New Brownie.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 126
  • Best New Brownie1.jpg
    Best New Brownie1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Best New Brownie2.jpg
    Best New Brownie2.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Best Chocolate Covered Strawberry Brownies.jpg
    Best Chocolate Covered Strawberry Brownies.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Best Chocolate Covered Strawberry Brownies1.jpg
    Best Chocolate Covered Strawberry Brownies1.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 111
Yule Log... shallow pan cake, painted wich espresso sauce, covered in pastry cream; rolled, assembled with butter cream frosting and meringue mushrooms.

Last edited by a moderator:
My most crowd pleasing desserts are not usually the fanciest.

At the top of the list is a chocolate stout cake that requires no decoration. I usually serve it with a dusting of powdered sugar and a dollop of whipped cream. People request this cake regularly and so recently I've worked to gussy up the presentation. This version is layered with berries on top for a b-day:

stoutcake.jpg

stout cake.jpg

I'm not big into desserts. Primarily because I really don't need the extra calories. I've found a few that we all like and make those.

As for the most impressive, my grandson would say it's my chocolate cake with the chocolate ganache topping.

A5226FF5-B04E-49BC-99EC-8BFCF429DCBC_1_105_c.jpg

The one I get requested for special occasions as the most impressive is my NY style cheesecake with blueberry topping.

8FD3DE80-82D2-40E0-86AE-878214A41CFF_1_105_c.jpg

While we first eat with our eyes, I make my few desserts with flavor as my priority. However, when I was in my pre-teens, I started to get serious with playing in the kitchen. One Saturday when my Mom was at work, I made a box-mix cake. It was the decorating that made Mom take a second look. I had a yellow Easter hat that was made from straw with a wide ribbon band decorated with silk flowers. (Hey, I was about 11 or 12 and Polish - getting gussied up for Easter in the 1960s was a big deal! ;) ) I dyed the icing to about the same shade of yellow as my hat, got a length of grosgrain ribbon from my aunt, pulled some flowers from my craft supplies, and got to work. I used a fork to texture the icing to look like woven straw - icing on both the cake and the cardboard round base that filled in as the hat brim. By the time I was done, I had a pretty credible duplicate of my Easter hat.

When Mom came home from work, the first words out of her mouth were "get your hat off of the table. People eat there!" :LOL: After she took a closer look, she decided I wasn't in trouble after all. :angel:

Two others that are always big hits.

Bundernuss torte. Related to the dessert bundernuss, but served as a cake. Almond cake, in a nut crust, topped with whole nuts, glazed with caramel.

And my carrot cake. It may sound ordinary, but it is pretty special.

I could keep going.. desserts are my specialty.

Attachments

• bundernuss 032.JPG
    bundernuss 032.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 157
  • carrot cake 020.JPG
    carrot cake 020.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 91
Maple walnut torte. You've all seen this before. I sometimes change it up and use hazelnuts, and a milk chocolate coffee buttercream.

http://http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/1541-albums704-picture6190.jpg

My raspberry walnut coconut tart. DWs all time favorite.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/1541-albums704-picture6191.jpg

For some reason, I can see the second picture, which looks wonderful. But when I click the first link I keep getting, "Server Not Found"

Funny, since they were both links to my DC album. ll try again, from my files this time.

Attachments

• user1541_pic6190_1423938931.jpg
    user1541_pic6190_1423938931.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 88
Funny, since they were both links to my DC album. ll try again, from my files this time.

Attachments

• user1541_pic6191_1423938931.jpg
    user1541_pic6191_1423938931.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 101

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom