Knife skills by Hung Huyhn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excellent, ic! I love watching Hung.
I never knew the 'shingling' technique for julienne - marvelous!
Thank you thank you!

I always loved watching Hung on TV. His technique is just amazing, masterful. All you have to do is watch Tom Collichio's face when Hung breaks down a bunch of chickens. And of course, Hung is unsurpassed in the creation of smurf villages.

I have to admit though, I am completely and utterly in awe of how easily his knife goes through that parsnip julienne. I keep my knives sharp, but that was unreal.

Hung is the man. I don't know how the heck he uses a slicer for almost all of his prep work though. I tried that but it throws my whole knife grip off because the blade is so much more narrow. I love my slicers but I only use them for breaking down fish, and softer proteins like tenderloin and pork loins. Other than that I mostly use my santoku and my 10" chefs knife.

Hung is the man. I don't know how the heck he uses a slicer for almost all of his prep work though. I tried that but it throws my whole knife grip off because the blade is so much more narrow. I love my slicers but I only use them for breaking down fish, and softer proteins like tenderloin and pork loins. Other than that I mostly use my santoku and my 10" chefs knife.

It's not the narrow blade that gets me, but I really really like the heft of my chef's knife. I can definitely see the advantage of using the slicer for fish and soft proteins like you mentioned, but even then I still generally prefer my chef's knife. I think the extra weight helps to keep my grip steadier, and therefore keep my cuts as precise as possible.

I mostly use my slicer for things where a narrower blade improves your cut; carpaccio-style slices mostly. I don't know how many sides of cured salmon i've taken down with a slicer, but chef liked the slices less than paper thin, a little bit translucent.

The video has been deleted, the chicken one...

Anyone has another link?

I am not in US and they don't have the Hung Huynh Show...

But the knife using one was MARVELOUS...

I wonder how many years will it take to master knives like that...:(

Back
Top Bottom