Maillard effect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cafeandy

Senior Cook
someone explain the maillard effect to me. i know what it is but i don't understand how it works.

also, how do you pronounce "bourguignon"?

I pronounce it, boor-ghin-yon.

The Maillard reaction occurs in foods when there are carbohydrate and protein molecules present. Basically, it is the reaction that makes foods turn brown. In fact, it can happen in stored (uncooked) foods but it's much slower. Higher temperatures make it happen faster.

It's what makes meat brown in a hot pan or oven as well as what makes the crust of bread turn brown.

There are more volatile products of the reaction that are responsible for that wonderful aroma that comes along with seared or roasted meats.

That's what I know. If you want a chemistry lesson, I'm afraid I cannot help.

thanx...

my curiousity stems from what is happening chemically that makes such a dramatic taste difference from basically just carmalization. some fellow gourmands and i were standing around the grill and trying to figure out what happens to proteins and carbs that make them change in flavor. i mean when you go from raw to grilled it's pretty dramatic...

probably too many 50-something ex-hippies trying to over think something that's pretty simple...[we actually got to "oh, wow, man...!" a couple of times].

Opening Pandora's box here Andy?

Carmalization is what happens to sugar under heat (above 330-F). The sugar breaks down, molecules recombines, and creates new sugars. Caramel actually has been converted from 1 sugar to about 120 different sugars.

Throw in some proteins, along with the sugars, and you get a Maillard browning reaction. Again, under heat (above 230-F) the proteins and sugars break down, recombine, and create new compounds, and turn brown. But, Maillard reactions is a tree with different branches ... and not easy to explain ... or understand. If you really want to explore Maillard reactions in depth - just google on Maillard Reactions and enjoy the ride! Food scientists have annual conventions to explor and try to understand this.

Foods that brown without heat are mainly a result of enzymes ... a result of the "death and decay" of the food.

You might want to check your local library for a copy of Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen and read the section on Maillard Reactions. Also check out the explaination that Shirley Corriher gives in her book Cookwise.

Now .. outdoor grilled food gets another ingredient ... not only the reactions of the fats and sugars ... but you're also throwing in other chemicals from the smoke!

Next time you and your buds are standing around the grill you can all contemplate the complex miracle of science that is going on as a multitude of chemical reactions are going on to flavor your food! :shock:

norgeskog said:
would this reaction also apply to humans sitting in the hot summer sun///:LOL:

Actually, it does. I experience the Maillard reaction every year when I go to Aruba.

Interesting that the terminology differs. On the one hand we have searing and on the other hand, we have tanning. (actually, only on the back of the other hand.) :mrgreen:

A suntan is an enzymatic browning reation of UV light and tyrosinase. Since Malliard browning reactions require a temp of 230-F or more ... it can't really be a Malliard browning reaction.

Michael in FtW said:
A suntan is an enzymatic browning reation of UV light and tyrosinase. Since Malliard browning reactions require a temp of 230-F or more ... it can't really be a Malliard browning reaction.

Yes, I knew that. Apparantly, my attempt at humor was weaker than I thought!!

Michael in FtW said:
You might want to check your local library for a copy of Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen and read the section on Maillard Reactions.

I got that book for Christmas, and its fabulous!!!! I thought it would be a bit dry and dull, but it has been so useful.

kyles said:
I got that book for Christmas, and its fabulous!!!! I thought it would be a bit dry and dull, but it has been so useful.

Harold McGee's book is my bible. He just came out with a new version last month. There's a good article on him on NYTimes about a month ago.

Andy M. said:
Yes, I knew that. Apparantly, my attempt at humor was weaker than I thought!!

Andy, isn't what your talking about the "Margarita" browning effect? :w00t2:

Never fear Andy ... the best "Chinese" food I ever had was in Chelmsford ... a place back behind the Holiday Inn just East of highway out of Boston. I don't remember the Hwy number - but I remember the walking tour in Chelmsford ... and that the "L" is silent ....

On Food and Cooking definately isn't a "recipe" book .... but it is fantastic reading if you want to get past the recipes and learn about the science behind cooking. His second book, The Curious Cook, is good reading, too, but it's not worth more than the cover price. Since Harold has gotten popular and Curious Cook is out of print the 2nd hand book sellers are selling it for premium prices ... it's a good read but not worth over $20 - some are selling it for as much as $160! You would be better off getting Shirley Corriher's CookWise.

For those who are fans of Alton Brown's "Good Eats" and haven't figured it out yet ... the foundation of his science behind his cooking is primarily Harold McGee and Shirley Corriher .... the drama and recipes are his.

Yep, Eric, I have the Revised Edition ... and it was either on his website or on a cooking forum website (I can't remember which one now) that he mentioned that a LOT of material that he had for the book got left on the cutting room floor. I sure hope he publishes that "scaps from the floor" material, soon.

Last edited:
Michael in FtW said:
that he had for the book got left on the cutting room floor. I sure hope he publishes that "scaps from the floor" material, soon.

Michael,
I like the first book so much. I don't think science has changed in a while so I figure...the science today is the same as it was back then right? :)

I probably won't get the second book unless I got it real...cheap

What can I say, Eric? Harold studied and wrote a book ... he studied more and updated the original book. Did the science change? Probably not. Was more of that science explored, discovered and revealed in the Revised Edition? Probably.

Does he have more to reveal to us? Yes.

His 2nd book, The Curious Cook is a good read .... but limited in scope, and definately deeper in science than On Food and Cooking. As much as I have been enjoying reading it ... I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that has to pay more than original cover price.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom