Make it simple

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have been experimenting with flavors, i.e. herbs, spices, flavor combinations, etc. for so long that I almost forgot how to make it simple. While ago, I told you how I'd prepared a steelhead fillet by simply placing the frozen fillet into hot oil, and deep frying for ten minutes, and that steelhead was probably the stellhead I'd ever made. If you don't know, steelhead is a rainbow trout that has traveled to, and lived in the ocean, and returned back to freshwater.

Lately, I've been trying more foods, lightly seasoned, or mixed with other ingredients that don't overwhelm, but enhance the natural flavor of the target food. touch of honey and butter will turn steamed carrots into something everyone loves, as long as the carrots are just starting to soften. The rich carrot flavor is not lost because only a little honey is mixed with the butter. The three flavors each make the other flavors better.

Tonight I was in the mood for black-eyed peas. I haven't eaten them in some time. So, I had already boned a pork sirloin roast that will go on the grill tommorow. Tonight, the bone was used to add subtle flavor to the black-eyed peas. A pound of the lugmes went into the pressure cooker, with the bones. Just a half tsp. of Kosher salt was added to the pot, along with 8 cups of water. The lid was placed on the pot, and all was brought up to pressure. I cooked athe black-eyed peas and boprk bones for thirty minutes. I released the pressure and opened the pot. The beanse werre perfectly done, and the remaining meat simple fell from the bones. I tasted the broth and knew that more flavor was sneeded. 1 tbs. Koher salt, along with one coarsely chopped yellow onion, and 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced. Everything went back intno the pot, the lid placed back on, and cooked under pressure for ten more minutes.

After the pot was again depressurized, and the lid was again released, I filled my large bowl. I let it cool just a bit and began eating. The full flavor of the black-eyed peas was there, with a hint of sweetness for the carrot and onion. There was just enough salt to enhance the dish, and flavor the por. And there was just enough pork to add flavor to the whole dish. I ate two bowlfulls.

I am making the case that many of us need to relearn how good foods taste all lby themselves, without a bunch of added flavors. I invite you to share your favorite, simple, dishes that showcase the flavor of the main ingredient.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Always best to honor the basics. It's like overplaying if you are in a band (I'm a bass player). You have to be constantly vigilant not to add unnecessary notes. The more times you have played a song, the more of those creep in. I think the same principle is at work with cooking.

the best flavours I've consistently gotten to be true to the natural taste of whatever I'm cooking/roasting/grilling - have been simple salt/pepper/oil (minimum). Whether it is vegies or chicken or... whatever... works for me.

I'm not saying I don't add other flavours, I like to diversify (whew, fancy word) for fun and flavours but my tried and true has always been the simplest - S&P!

That's a good point. Sometimes I think it should be like Coco Chanel was supposed to have recommended about accessorizing: remove one piece before leaving the house. I do love curries, etc., with lots of flavors but sometimes just a little bit does it. A few years ago there was a craze for cookbooks that had a specific small number of ingredients in each recipe. Hmmm. Thanks for giving me "food for thought."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom