Makin' breadcrumbs (the hard way)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
depends - do you want fresh bread crumbs? then go with the recommendations of geebs and expatgirl.

if dried are OK, cube up some bread (slather with desired oil and seasonings first), toast it in the oven, transfer to ziploc bag, and bang the snot out of bag with a rolling pin

however you do it, your home made breadcrumbs will taste great and be nicer than commercial, (which I think are too fine)

I prefer cracker meal for many breading recipes (outside) and breadcrumbs for interior uses (meatballs etc)

If you are using frozen bread you need to make sure the bread is dry - I generally chuck the frozen slices into a toaster if I need to defrost them quickly.

I normally use the old bread that has gone hard to make breadcrumbs. I add a bit of fresh parsley and garlic for a special taste and put it all in my food procesor.

It is much better than the breadcrumbs you can buy

I regularly make homemade croutons from old bread. When I get an over abundance, or just want to get rid of some frustrations, I put some of them in a ziplock bag and pound the ____ out of them with a rolling pin or empty wine bottle. Of course, I never would have been frustrated at all if that wine bottle had been full to begin with. :D

If you have a hammer, I can offer you a better way....

Toast the bread, in the oven if possible (you can do more at a time, that way). When it's toasted and cool, put the bread into a bag (paper is more earth friendly, but plastic will do if that's all you have), and then get your frustration out on the bread.

A rolling pin will work just as well. For that matter, you could even walk all over it. My point is, once the bread is toasted and harder, you can use anything solid to make it into crumbs.

Back
Top Bottom