More tips from Goodweed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
OK, so here's the deal. I'm hungry for Pasta Carbanara. I called my wife and told her that I'm gonna pick up bacon on my way home from work and that I'm going to make Carbanara. Now I've made this before, in our house, and she ate it. But she couldnt' remember what it was and basically said "ewwe, pasta with bacon; why would anyone wast good bacon by putting it in pasta?"

Ok. So what do you want me to make with the bacon? She quickly chimes "BLT's"

So I picked up the best tomatoes I could find, and a couple of ripe avacados jsut because you never know when you'll find ripe avacados in SSM. Wo I get home thinking that I'll make carbanara for me and BLT's for her. Then I remember, she has a hard time with lettuce due to dentures that don't fit quite right. So what to do? What to do?

Well we had just picked up some gorgeous cukes from our local farmer's market just yesterday. So I peeled one and used the vegetable peeler to get thin, seedless strips of cucumber. I cooked the bacon, washed and sliced the tomato, and then turned the bacon into chumnky bits with a sharp knife, all so that she could really enjoy her revamped sandwich, now a BCT. I also mixed just a drop of liquid smoke into some mayo to make up for the lackluster bacon available these days, and sprinkled a touch of salt on the tomato. She loved it. She could eat it easily and said it was as good, or maybe even better than the BLT's she grew up with.

So the tips for that sandwich are: If you know someone who has a hard time chewing things like bacon and lettuce, chop the bacon and either shred the lettuce, or use seedless cucumber strips to replace it. The cucumber has a similar flavor to iceburgh lettuce, and is both juicy and tender. You will make someone happy.

As for the carbanara, I made up for the lack of flavor in today's bacon with a couple drops of liquid smoke (mesquite flavor), and a bit of salt mixed into the pasta. The rest of the technique was the same; cook the pasta, drain, quickly stir in the raw egg, letting the carryover heat from the pasta cook the egg, and then add seasonings (garlic, chopped green onion, salt, pepper), stir well, and finally mix in torn bacon and some good EVOO. Serve lightly salted, and pepperd tomato slices or wedges on the side.

The meal turned out very tasty in spite of the hurdles.

To add flavor to your bacon, rub just a teeny bit of salt over all of the strips, along with some brown sugar and liquid smoke. Place in a zipper-bag and refrigerate overnight. Be careful of how much salt you use. A little too much will give you very salty bacon.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed, your improvised BCT sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing your tips with us. I think the refreshing taste of cucumber, along with the salty bacon, sweet tomato and rich avocado would be scrumptious. I'm going to try it very soon. Bless you for being so sweet to your DW.

:) How funny. Today I was thinking of BLTs with Avocado. I have two Avocados ripening right now. I want to make them like a club sandwich

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom