Need help with octopus tapas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mignonette

Assistant Cook
Wondering how to really tenderize my cooked octopus I got from the fish martket. My goal is to make a braised version of Galician style octopus. (Octopus, olive oil, potatoes and paprika) This version is in bite-size chunks served as tapas, both times I've had it, it's been served in Spanish latas or cazuelas.

I've tried to make it twice and although the flavor is where I want it, the octopus is rubbery! Both times I braised the octopus, potatoes and olive oil together in the oven for at least an hour and although the potatoes were perfect, the octopus was chewy. I really want melt in your mouth texture like I had at the restaurants.

I am considering:

1. boiling octopus again (I bought it cooked) then braising
2. Braising longer, like 2+ hours? In oven or maybe on the stove with more liquid and adding potatoes the last 45 min.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

From my experience, the bigger the octopus, the longer you should braise it. I would cook any octopus at least 3 hours. Larger ones even up to 5 hours. The only way you can tell is to check it to make sure it is done, and if it isn't put it back in the pot, possibly add more liquid if necessary, and keep it going until it starts to tenderize to your liking....

I think octopus might be in that category of things to be cooked quickly and lightly. But there are sure a lot of stories around with suggestions about tenderizing. The most common says Greek fishermen beat the octopus against a rick before cooking. One authority says one hour is the cooking limit. Another story is that Italians cook them with corks. I don't believe that one. At least I don't believe the corks do anything. Maybe a century ago. Modern corks are thoroughly processed to rid them of anything that would affect meat. Another one says put about twenty octopuses in a washing machine on spin cycle for a while. Another just says pound them. And another says a little vinegar will do it. Sounds like most other tough meat that you won't or can't cook for a long time. Beat it or give it the acid treatment. But then, I've never cooked one.

tenderizing your octopus - YouTube

Octopus, like all its relatives, requires either very short or very long cooking. Anything in between causes it to become rubbery.

Depending on size, an hour is the minimum time it should be braised to achieve tenderness.

One of the reasons I prefer using baby octopus is that I can cook them in far less time. Typically, 45 minutes does it.

Also, mignonnette (and, btw, welcome to DC), in dishes like you describe, the octopus is often cooked until tender, and then added to the other ingredients. You might want to give that a try.

Thanks for the great ideas . . .

. . . And the welcome, HistoricFoodie!

I think I will go with the longer cook time, sans potatoes, and with more liquid as Rocklobster suggests since it is already cooked anyway and firm in texture.

Love the ideas and video link, GLC! I think in order for the octopus to be really tender, I need to whack it on that specific rock. Time for a vacation! :) I have read about the corks. I also read to add a genuine copper penny to the pot when boiling octopus if you don't have one of the Galician pots used traditionally.

Thanks again everyone! I'm thrilled to have found this forum.

I think in order for the octopus to be really tender, I need to whack it on that specific rock. Time for a vacation!

I wonder if that would work with IRS.

Deductible Expense: Work-Related Travel
Travel Destination: Greek Islands
Purpose: Tenderize Octopus on the "Beating Rock" (Note: Rock only works in summer.)

GLC said:
I wonder if that would work with IRS.

Deductible Expense: Work-Related Travel
Travel Destination: Greek Islands
Purpose: Tenderize Octopus on the "Beating Rock" (Note: Rock only works in summer.)

Right! Works for Tony B! :)

Thanks to you all, it looks like I cooked myself out of a trip to Greece! Your suggestions worked, braised 2 hours at low heat with more liquid and they turned out tasty and tender. Thanks again!

In Galicia, Spain: Dunking 5 Times in boiling salted sea water

Good Morning,

In Galicia, Spain, the northwestern Atlantic corner, north of Portugal, their traditionally classic method is:

1) In stockpot, fill with water ( sea water if possible ) and salt, however, do not salt if using sea water

2) once boiling, take the baby octopus ( alot more tender ) and put a hook on its head, so that u can hold it and dunk it 5 times in the boiling water

3) then, take off the outer skin and chop into fine pieces, and simmer until tender

4) serve with smoked paprika and olive oil drizzled and boiled sliced potato

5) this is PULPO GALLEGO

Margi.

Galician Octopus is always served on wooden plates

Forgot to mention, that Octopus in Galicia, is always served on a wooden block or wood plate ... This is a very renowned dish, called PULPO GALLEGO ( pul pó - Guy ei go ) and it hails from the Santiago Pilgrim´s Walk.

This is delicious ... and thanx for posting. It is one of my fave tapas ... we have it all the time.

Margi.

Galician Octopus á Feira ( Festivity Style ) Tapa

This is a great dish for tapas ...

Traditionally, we use a a baby octopus ... It is one of the most popular tapas especially in season, during the long Spanish summers.

Here is family recipe:

3 pound baby octopus
8 cloves of garlic minced
2 1/2 tsps smoked paprika
salt and black pepper
4 fl. oz. olive oil extra virgin
chopped herbs: parsley and dill
1 medium onion
boiling potatoes

1) turn the body part of the ocotpus inside out and trim away inedible parts or have fish monger do for you; remove eyes, mouth sections
2) rinse thoroughly and place the octopus in a heavy large saucepan or stock pot with 8 fl. ounces of cold water.
3) cover tightly and cook over very low flame for 35 - 40 mins. or until tender enough to be pierced with a sharp knife
*** a large octopus shall require 1 1/2 hrs to cook
4) remove from the pot and set asie until completely cool
5) drain the octopus and rinse under running water rubbing off fragments of skin and cut into bite size serving pieces
6) mix the garlic and the seasoning and oil and pour over the pieces in a bowl
7) garnish with herbs and serve cold and drizzle with fresh lemon
8) boil the potatoes and slice
9) serve on wooden butcher blocks or wood plates

*** note: firstly, dunk the baby octopus five times in boiling water before cooking

M.C.

Back
Top Bottom